Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2014 Race 12 & 13 Knockhill

Porsche News

Knockhill challenge for Porsche Carrera Cup GB

The annual trip north of the border to Knockhill (23/24 August) comes at a time when the three title contests in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB are very finely balanced. At the head of the championship, just 16 points separate Josh Webster and Michael Meadows.

Rounds 12 and 13 of the 19-race season will pit the drivers against the spectacular moorland track and while Webster and Meadows will now battle out the destiny of the overall title, it is also all to play for in the Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2 categories. Justin Sherwood and Rob Smith (Pro-Am1) and Steven Liquorish and Peter Kyle-Henney (Pro-Am2) are the key contenders.

The latest Type-991 911 GT3 Cup will make a fabulous sight on its debut in Scotland and it is Carrera Cup Scholarship driver Webster (Redline Racing) who heads the overall points after 11 of the season's 19 races. Never before has a Scholarship driver topped the points in his Scholarship year and Stowmarket-based 20-year-old has now taken four wins on the trot at Croft and Snetterton.

However, Josh has never raced at Knockhill before and that is just the sort of opportunity that Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) is looking for to exploit as he bids to bounce back in his quest for a third straight title. The 16-point gap is modest with eight races still to run and, more than anything, the drivers need to finish every race strongly.

Ranged against Webster and Meadows in the overall stakes will be three more Pro category drivers and each of them could be a contender for race wins. Paul Rees (In2 Racing) currently has third in the standings from Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) while series newcomer Pepe Massot (Parr Motorsport) is fast-emerging as a major force despite his limited experience of these cars.

In the Pro-Am1 category, current points' leader Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) is likely to miss the Knockhill weekend and will almost certainly lose his category lead as a result. The man set to move ahead is the very experienced Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) but Rob Smith (Redline Racing) could yet work into contention with a late season rush on the back of an impressive double win last time out at Snetterton.

Added to the Pro-Am1 mix at Snetterton was former GT Cup race winner Jordan Witt in another car from the Redline Racing stable.

In the Pro-Am2 category, Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) and Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) are proving to be incredibly closely matched and neither of them has raced a Porsche at Knockhill before. Although they are level on points in the overall standings, Liquorish has a small lead in the Pro-Am2 scores thanks to picking up more of the extra points for setting pole position and fastest lap in the category.

Attachments

• knock02_176.jpg
    knock02_176.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 15,637
  • knock01_201.jpg
    knock01_201.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 15,637
Meadows tops Carrera Cup GB test at Knockhill

Michael Meadows sets the testing pace
Josh Webster and Victor Jimenez run second and third
Jordan Witt and Carol Brown top Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2

Michael Meadows asserted his authority on the Porsche Carrera Cup GB during testing at Knockhill yesterday (Friday 22 August) as drivers tackled the all-action Scottish track ahead of rounds 12 and 13 of the season.

However, once again it was very close at the top of the times as Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) headed title leader Josh Webster (Redline Racing) by just over a tenth of a second in the morning test session. With some rain for the second test session, the times from the morning session set the mark for the day.

Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) was a strong third, just ahead of the impressive Jordan Witt (Redline Racing) who topped the Pro-Am1 times going into only his second weekend in the Carrera Cup GB. However, his team mate Rob Smith was less than a tenth of a second behind as Pepe Massot (Parr Motorsport) completed the top six.

In Pro-Am2, championship newcomer Carol Brown made a hugely impressive debut with In2 Racing to set the pace at her local track. With Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) and Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) very close on times, there should be another fine contest in the category.

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) fastest overall:
'It was a good dry session in the morning. Luckily it stayed dry so we got some good laps in and that allowed us to try quite a few things on the car which worked quite well. Really happy with it and it bodes well for tomorrow."

Josh Webster (Redline Racing) second overall:
'I had a test on Tuesday which went really well and was my first time at Knockhill. I'm still learning about the car and the circuit but the car felt good. It's looking like it is going to be between me and Michael again."

Jordan Witt (Redline Racing) first in Pro-Am1:
'It was good in the dry. It was slippery in places but towards the end the track came alive as there was a bit more rubber down. Other than that it was a good session for me. I'm happy with the lap times and I just can't wait for qualifying now."

Carol Brown (In2 Racing) first in Pro-Am2:
'It was fantastic. You can't beat being top in my class in my first time out. The car is phenomenal! It felt strange with the wets in the afternoon but once I got used to it and went back to the slicks it felt awesome!"

Attachments

• knock06_662.jpg
    knock06_662.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 15,629
  • knock05_131.jpg
    knock05_131.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 15,629
  • knock04_191.jpg
    knock04_191.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 15,629
  • knock03_610.jpg
    knock03_610.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 15,629
Meadows takes double Carrera Cup GB pole at Knockhill

Michael Meadows dominates qualifying on a wet track
Victor Jimenez qualifies second from Josh Webster
Jordan Witt and Carol Brown head Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2

Michael Meadows stormed back to the head of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Knockhill today (Saturday 23 August) by taking two pole positions ahead of rounds 12 and 13 on Sunday.

Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) mastered difficult track conditions to claim a double pole and pull back two points on championship leader Josh Webster (Redline Racing). Meanwhile, Jordan Witt (Redline Racing) and impressive newcomer Carol Brown (In2 Racing) set the pace in the Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2 categories respectively.

Heavy rain before qualifying left the track very wet at the start of the half-hour session and, although it didn't rain again, the conditions did not generally improve as drivers battled with rising temperatures on their wet weather tyres.

Meadows made the best of the session to go a fifth of a second quicker than Jimenez, while Webster was third fastest for both grids. For Meadows, having Jimenez ahead of Webster for the start of both races is an important development as he tries to chip away Webster's championship lead.

Pepe Massot (Parr Motorsport) ran a strong fourth before the fastest of the Pro-Am1 racers. Redline Racing team mates Witt and Rob Smith headed the category, while local racer Carol Brown continued her excellent Carrera Cup debut by heading the closely-fought Pro-Am2 category. Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) and Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) lapped within a fifth of a second of Brown to set the scene for some more fine racing in Pro-Am2.

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) fastest overall:
'It's good to be back! I've got to take everything I can get. As soon as we went out the car was good. But later in the session the times dropped off as the tyre temperatures were going up."

Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) second fastest overall:
'The conditions were very difficult and the track was very slippery at the start. I had to push every lap and the tyres were getting too hot. '

Jordan Witt (Redline Racing) fastest in Pro-Am1:
'Testing on Tuesday was my first time here. The car was definitely good, but the track conditions got worse as it started to get a bit drier."

Rob Smith (Redline Racing) second fastest in Pro-Am1:
'It's my first time here and I like the wet, so I didn't mind that at all. You cannot comprehend the grip that the car has got in the wet."

Carol Brown (In2 Racing): fastest in Pro-Am2:
'I maybe heated the wets up too much and we sat out the last five minutes of the session. But Pro-Am2 pole is very good, even though the times are very close."

Round 12 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows 53.664s; 2 Victor Jimenez 53.875s; 3 Josh Webster 53.947s.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Jordan Witt 54.455s; 2 Rob Smith 54.807s; 3 Justin Sherwood 55.449s.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Carol Brown 55.851s; 2 Steven Liquorish 55.920s; 3 Peter Kyle-Henney 56.028s.

Round 13 grid:
Pro category: 1 Meadows 53.757s; 2 Jimenez 53.971s; 3 Webster; 54.046s.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Witt 54.464s; 2 Smith 54.928s; 3 Sherwood; 55.601s.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Brown 55.869s; 2 Liquorish 56.010s; 3 Kyle-Henney 56.082s.

Attachments

• knock07_364.jpg
    knock07_364.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 15,620
  • knock08_208.jpg
    knock08_208.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 15,620
  • knock09_144.jpg
    knock09_144.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 15,620
Some great photos! :thumbs:

Brown and Plant set for Carrera Cup GB debuts

Carol Brown and William Plant have joined the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Knockhill this weekend (23/24 August) with In2 Racing. Scottish ace Brown will race at her home track while Plant moves up from the GT Cup to race the championship's guest car.

Both drivers got their first experience of the latest type-991 911GT3 Cup during testing on Friday and while Brown has raced extensively at Knockhill, it was Plant's first time driving on the Scottish track.

Brown (27) has won the Scottish Legends title twice and has been Scottish 'lady racing driver of the year' six times. Plant (19), meanwhile, started competing by following his father Richard into racing Morgans, but moved to a type-997 Porsche 911GT3 Cup with In2 Racing this season.

'This is a one-off at the moment," said Brown. 'I've thrown myself in at the deep end and put myself right out there this weekend, but I've got a lot of circuit knowledge. I'd love to do more in the Carrera Cup if I can raise the budget."

Plant is using the weekend as a chance to sample the Carrera Cup as he continues to build his racing career in sports and GT racing alongside studying at Oxford Brookes University. 'I'm looking at options for next year and I want to keep on progressing. The first test session on Friday morning was my first time in the car and my first time at Knockhill."

Attachments

• knock10_272.jpg
    knock10_272.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 15,615
Meadows dominates Carrera Cup GB round 12

Michael Meadows takes resounding victory at Knockhill
Jordan Witt scores first Pro-Am1 win
Carol Brown wins Pro-Am2 on championship debut

Michael Meadows swept to victory in round 12 of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Knockhill this morning (Sunday 24 August) with a commanding performance. His 20th Carrera Cup win narrows the gap to championship leader Josh Webster, who battled ahead of Victor Jimenez to take second place.

Amid some great battles down the order, Jordan Witt (Redline Racing) took Pro-Am1 spoils for the first time and championship newcomer Carol Brown (In2 Racing) maintained her excellent weekend to win Pro-Am2.

Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) got the jump from the start and built a six-second lead as Webster spent the first seven laps finding a way ahead of Redline Racing team mate Victor Jimenez. Once into second, the Carrera Cup Scholarship driver was able to close the gap to Meadows, but the defending champion had things under control and drove a well-measured race to victory.

Behind Webster, Jimenez dropped away in third but still took a strong podium finish as Pepe Massot (Parr Motorsport) raced hard to take fourth. Massot had fought to get ahead of Witt (Redline Racing) and finally took the place with a superb move that started at Duffus. Witt still took a commanding Pro-Am1 win while Rob Smith (Redline Racing) took second after a race-long contest with Paul Rees (In2 Racing) for sixth overall. Four laps from the finish Rees was finally rewarded as he squeezed ahead.

Brown drove a fine race given her lack of Porsche experience and battled with guest racer Will Plant (In2 Racing) for eighth place overall and the Scottish lady duly won Pro-Am2 from the dicing pair of Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) and Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing).

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) first overall:
'That's exactly what I needed to do. I got a good start and was then measuring the gap. Later in the race I eased it back, so it was quite comfortable. That's a good start for the day."

'That's the best I could have done in the situation. My start wasn't great but the race pace was good. But I spent too much time getting by Victor."

'That was hard work and we went into the race on brand new tyres. I'll try and repeat that in the second race."

Rob Smith (Redline Racing) second in Pro-Am1:
'My aim for the weekend was to try and beat a Pro driver and I was doing that until four laps to go. Then I was far too polite and gave him too much room. But it was a really good battle with Paul Rees."

'That was amazing and I loved every minute of it. A win in Pro-Am2 was my aim for the day so I could go home now with job done! It was a good battle with Will."

Results round 12:
Overall: 1 Michael Meadows; 2 Josh Webster; 3 Victor Jimenez
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Jordan Witt; 2 Rob Smith; 3 Justin Sherwood
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Carol Brown; 2 Peter Kyle-Henney; 3 Steven Liquorish

Attachments

• knock11_200.jpg
    knock11_200.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 15,610
  • knock12_211.jpg
    knock12_211.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 15,610
  • knock13_107.jpg
    knock13_107.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 15,610
  • knock14_986.jpg
    knock14_986.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 15,610
Meadows does Carrera Cup GB double at Knockhill

Michael Meadows takes double win at Knockhill
Jordan Witt takes second Pro-Am1 win of the day
Carol Brown completes perfect Pro-Am2 debut

Michael Meadows raced to his second victory of the day in round 13 of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Knockhill today (Sunday 24 August) with another tremendous drive as Josh Webster chased hard.

His double win means that Meadows has clawed back eight points of the lead held by Carrera Cup GB Scholarship driver Webster to leave the margin at eight points with six races still to run. Also completing double wins were Jordan Witt (Redline Racing) in Pro-Am1 and Carol Brown (In2 Racing) in Pro-Am2.

Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) converted pole position into the lead from the rolling start and went clear in the opening laps. However, as the race entered the closing stages, Webster (Redline Racing) closed in as Meadows started to lap the Pro-Am2 contenders.

Meadows kept his cool to take another win, but there was little more than half a second between them at the flag. Pepe Massot (Parr Motorsport) drove a strong race to complete the overall podium while Witt held off a race-long challenge from Rob Smith (Redline Racing) to take fourth overall and Pro-Am1 spoils.

Sixth overall from the back of the grid came Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) after a clutch issue before the start forced him to start from the pit road. His tremendous drive earned him the 'driver of the weekend' award. Brown completed her perfect weekend by winning Pro-Am2, but had Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) as a constant shadow.

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) first overall:
'I had problems in traffic and lost two seconds late in the race. Our pace was pretty similar after the first 10 laps, when I pulled out the gap. It's been a very good weekend and I've pulled back eight points over Josh in the championship."

'If he'd made one mistake I'd have been on him! Michael's a seasoned racer at Knockhill and I'm pleased to have been that close to him at the end of the race. I'd never seen the track before last Tuesday."

Pepe Massot (Parr Motorsport) third overall:
'That was okay. The car was really good but I just didn't have the grip at the start of the race when Josh went away."
'It was very good. Rob kept me honest all the way and it's been a great weekend."

'It's been a perfect weekend. I struggled a bit by not getting enough heat into the tyres and Peter was there all the time."

Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) second in Pro-Am2:
'Carol's got so much circuit knowledge! It was a really good race and there was just one small section where she was quicker."

Results round 13:
Overall: 1 Michael Meadows; 2 Josh Webster; 3 Pepe Massot
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Jordan Witt; 2 Rob Smith; 3 Justin Sherwood
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Carol Brown; 2 Peter Kyle-Henney; 3 Steven Liquorish

Attachments

• knock18_862.jpg
    knock18_862.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 15,603
  • knock17_715.jpg
    knock17_715.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 15,603
  • knock16_905.jpg
    knock16_905.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 15,603
  • knock15_141.jpg
    knock15_141.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 15,603
Carrera Cup GB title race closes at Knockhill

Michael Meadows scores perfect double in Scotland
Jordan Witt takes impressive Pro-Am1 double
Championship newcomer Carl Brown wins Pro-Am2

The battle for the overall title in the 2014 Porsche Carrera Cup GB hotted up even further at Knockhill (23/24 August) as Michael Meadows took a double win to close in on championship leader Josh Webster as the latest type-991 911 GT3 Cups raced in front of a huge BTCC crowd at the Scottish track.

By taking a perfect weekend score of 44 points in rounds 12 and 13, Meadows (Reading: Samsung UHD TV Racing) pared Webster's lead down to just eight points with six races still to run. Carrera Cup Scholarship racer Webster (Stowmarket: Redline Racing) had never raced at Knockhill before and claimed two second places in a weekend of damage limitation.

Victor Jimenez (Madrid: Redline Racing) qualified superbly in second and claimed third in the opening race. Then, a clutch problem before race two forced him to start from the pit lane and he raced through to finish sixth and earn the 'driver of the weekend' award, while Samsung UHD TV Racing was named as 'team of the weekend'.

Jordan Witt (Nantwich: Redline Racing) was the class of Pro-Am1 and won twice to give himself an outside chance of catching points' leader Justin Sherwood (Loughborough: Team Parker Racing).

In Pro-Am2, championship newcomer Carol Brown (Falkirk: In2 Racing) scooped an impressive double win at her home track as Peter Kyle-Henney (Romsey: Parr Motorsport) and Steven Liquorish (Didcot: Team Parker Racing) continued their season-long battle for the category title.

Rob Smith (Maldon: Redline Racing) won a set of tyres as part of Michelin's long-standing support of the championship. Before the start of testing at each race weekend, a name is drawn from a hat to receive the tyres, with a value of more than £1200.

Carrera Cup GB championship points after round 13:
Overall: 1 Josh Webster 246; 2 Michael Meadows 238; 3 Victor Jimenez 171.
Pro-Am1: 1 Justin Sherwood 77; 2 Rob Smith 71; 3 Karl Leonard 65.
Pro-Am2: 1 Steven Liquorish 121; 2 Peter Kyle-Henney 111; 3 Kelvin Fletcher 33.
Teams: 1 Redline Racing 417; 2 In2 Racing 284; 3 Samsung UHD TV Racing 238.

Next rounds: 6/7 September, Rockingham.

Attachments

• knock22_185.jpg
    knock22_185.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 15,598
  • knock21_136.jpg
    knock21_136.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 15,598
  • knock20_177.jpg
    knock20_177.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 15,598
  • knock19_280.jpg