Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

For those with private plates...

Kimbo said:
I still can't get my head around this;

Why would anyone want to disguise the age of their car with a private plate, (apart from making a back-date look more original with an age-related one?)

Is it to make you look like you can afford a newer car?

Are people really this insecure/shallow?

YES they are

Most of my cars already had private plates on when I bought them (including my Cayman S).

I really don't like them at all and I'd have changed them all back if it didn't cost money to do so.

Is there a way of getting rid of a private plate for less than £105? I don't want to keep it on retention. I just want to bin it and put the car back on its original plate.

When I bought my 993 it had a private plate with the previous owner's initials. There was no market for this and I called into the local DVLA office (when they still had such things) to ask about getting the car put back on to its original plates. They told me all they needed was a letter confirming I no longer wanted the private plate, which I wrote in the office and handed over.

That was four years ago and I'm a little hazy on all the details but I don't think there was a fee payable. They issued a replacement MoT and tax disc, gave me a certificate confirming the new number and might have taken the V5 to go off to Swansea. I stopped on the way back to have the new plates made up and fitted these when I got home.

Short answer, if you simply want to surrender the number, contact the DVLA and ask what they need from you.

:thumb:

Pinot said:
Short answer, if you simply want to surrender the number, contact the DVLA and ask what they need from you.

I'm such an idiot. :oops:

I've just done exactly this and they told me that it doesn't cost anything to surrender a private plate. I have to send in the V5C, MOT, tax details and a letter of intent. The DVLA will then send out new copies of everything.

I'll have to pay to have new plates made up with the new number but the £105 I thought you always had to pay is only if you want to keep the registration on retention.

BillTheButcher said:
Pinot said:

I'm such an idiot. :oops:

I wouldn't worry about that too much - you're in good company here :thumb:

I bought S11URV in 1998, it's been on 3 of my wife's cars ( 2 of them brand new), my last Z4 and now my C4S. I bought it as it made me smile, nothing other than that. My surname is Shurvinton, and all my mates have called me Shurv for years. I have it in perfectly legal font and spacing, but admit to having a screw in between the 11's when I was younger and foolish. I'll have it on my car for as long as I keep my own car ( I have a company car) , then if I sell mine, it'll go back onto my wife's cars. My brother has 1st dibs on it if I ever decide to sell, or when I pop my clogs. They are a bit of fun, nothing more. Some folk like them, some don't, simples. The naff ones are those where they are trying to spell something, but you can't work out what. :D

My car didn't feel like it was properly "mine" until I got the pp transferred on to it. When my brother saw it the first time (many cars ago - he's since succumbed himself) he remarked "funny way to spell w*nk*r".

I just always like something that makes less of a mess of the car

This then spiraled a bit

Ended up going for a comic book/roy lichtenstein reference

KII PAO

Which, if you squint, drink 10 pints and run around Battersea park for an hour sounds a bit like KA POW!

My engineer mate has since told me though that PAO is also the abbreviation for:

API Group IV Polyalphaolefins, 100% Synthetic chemical compound. Specific type of olefin (organic) that is used as a base stock in some synthetic lubricants. poly-alpha-olefin (or poly-α-olefin, abbreviated as PAO), is a polymer made by polymerizing an alpha-olefin. An alpha-olefin (or α-olefin) is an alkene where the carbon-carbon double bond starts at the α-carbon atom, i.e. the double bond is between the #1 and #2 carbons in the molecule.

Yep, when I mention this bit to people they instantly glaze over and shuffle away as quickly and as politely as possible

:D

freddie44 said:
. . . My engineer mate . . .
:?:
freddie44 said:
Yep, when I mention this bit to people they instantly glaze over and shuffle away as quickly and as politely as possible
:floor:

Is there no longer a distinction between private plates, as in completely dateless, and personalised plates, even though they represent ones initials or favourite sexual position? :dont know:

I agree that some people use budget number plates to hide the year of the car, but most number plates are brought by people who have some form of link to the plate.

I was given my FLY numberplate as a gift when I passed my flying test years ago and the 996 is the 7th car I've had it on. I'm defiantly not trying to hide the year, in fact I think it makes it look older.

My wife (Nikki) has a plate on her Boxster which is personal to her, again nothing to do with hiding the year. All of our friends know her number plate and can recognise her when she's out and about.

IMG_3437.jpg

Sorry, I meant, "one's friend who is a qualified engineer..."

:lol:

RobIpswichUK said:
Kimbo said:
I still can't get my head around this;

Why would anyone want to disguise the age of their car with a private plate, (apart from making a back-date look more original with an age-related one?)

Is it to make you look like you can afford a newer car?

Are people really this insecure/shallow?

YES they are

:yeah: :agree:

OK I have a private plate and I did it for four reasons.

(1) the car is a Carrera 2 Vario and the plate is C2 VRO.
(2) Had company cars for 30+ years and had not been allowed to do it.
(3) I like smaller, neater plates on the front of cars. (I should live in Italy)
(4) It was cheap!

Not really anything to do with hiding the age of the car. Non Porsche people are always asking me "what year is it?" and I'm happy to say 1996.

But I do know plenty of people who have them to hide the age of the car. Some one I know put a car in a friends garage until the plate had been transferred... :nooo:

madalaa said:
I have a personalised private plate ....... it's N8**JCA ...... and no one else has it so it's very personal and private ....... works for me ....... :)

I have to say the only one I would have on my car would be POR 993 or C4 POR .....haha .....fat chance of either of those coming on the market for peanuts ....... so I think I will stick with mine thank you ...... ;)

I saw this yesterday Mads and immediately thought of you. :thumb:

jonttt said:
I.Must admit I.have contemplated putting mine back on its original P plate but I too have mobbed it from car to car. I don't really like car specific plates but have BMW 23M on my BMW Z3M which I could not resist

I have X4DON. All I need now is someone with the new BM to buy it :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back