Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

advice on a used 4x4 for towing duties

tim993

Zandvoort
Hi All

The Mrs is looking for a used 4x4 for towing the horse trailer and other general grubby duties involving equestrianism.

Budget is c.£6k

I though about a LR Discovery series 2 or Range Rover from the same era (approx 2000-2004) or perhaps a big Nissan or Toyota of some description.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or even which makes/models to avoid?

thanks in advance

tim

The first generation Kia Sorento is a good reliable tow car.

Also Mitsubishi shogun,Toyota landcruiser etc.

The landrovers are good towcars but can be fraught with problems if you get a wrong 'un..

What is the maximum weight you will need to pull?

Hi and thanks Kas750. We need to be able to pull an Ifor Williams with 2 horses, + tack, water etc. I think that adds up to just under 2000kg

I'd love another Discovery (we've had four over the years) , but the series 1s appear to have rust problems and as you say all can be a real headache if you get a bad one. i was thinking the series 2 may be a better bet, but preferably w/o the air-springs at the rear, or perhaps a RR...

This is also why I'm thinking go for something from Japan / Korea - but i really know nothing about these.

:dont know:

tim

From my experience the jap stuff has a MUCH bigger turning circle ( the lock is rubbish ) .which will result in more reversing in tight spaces , great if your a good driver .
I'm not saying your wife can't reverse but when she hits something you know who's fault it's going to be.
For that sort of cash you should get a range rove dhse really nice car 2.5 BMW Diesel engine ( get it chiped if you find it under powered )
Good luck with the search .

Hi Tim,
I have and use a 2010 (197bhp) swb Shogun in winter, I also use it for collecting the wood from the forestry commission on really rough and muddy tracks. It pulls 3T gross like there is nothing on the back.
I love RR however I needed something to cope with the mud inside, cheap & cheerful too. Have a look. The 197bhp is the cheaper road tax job.

thanks Guys - this is all very helpful stuff :thumb:

I have a LWB shogun 7 seater pulls my horse box

Great workhorse

Toyota Landcruiser.

used by the UN and TV crews when going in to hostile territory because they NEVER go wrong.

I used to drive for Arabian Adventures as a part time job when I lived in Dubai. We had a fleet of over 100 Lancruisers that used to get heavily abused in the desert day in day out. Other than routine servicing they never needed a spanner to be taken to them.

I made the mistake of thinking that Mercedes would be equally hard wearing and bought a brand new GL 7 years ago and haven't stopped regretting it since. Should have got the Toyota.

As for towing. They can pull a small house.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahab
Back