Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911SC rebuild

whaletail

It's 4 years since our last Porsche (2000MY 996 C2) was written off and we are now back in the game with a 1980 Lhd SC. i bought it from my boss who got it a year ago and sent it straight to a paint shop to have the red paint spruced up. After 12 months sat in the corner of the body shop, it's only part stripped and some of the paint has been taken off. He's bought a 356 now so needed to offload something.. Although buying a car that's basically a rolling shell with lots of crates of bits is a bit scary, I have the advantage of trusting the body shop guy and him telling me that the bodywork is really sound. You can buy a car that looks mint but not know what's under the paint until it bubbles to the surface!

Though I am usually a believer in keeping cars original, I plan to make a few changes to this one including changing the colour and the interior. I want to take my time with this one, strip it right down and make a nice job of every part going back on.

This could take me a couple of years, I need to keep motivated through the project so plan to update this thread as I go, hopefully with pictures if I can work out how to post pictures again.

Attachments

• image_229.jpg
    image_229.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 18,226
whaletail said:
This could take me a couple of years, I need to keep motivated through the project so plan to update this thread as I go, hopefully with pictures if I can work out how to post pictures again.

The first two months will be slow progress until your wife leaves you, then you will have the time and money required.
:thumb:

Haha! Amazingly, when I landed in Budapest today and turned my phone on, I received an email from my wife with pictures of the inside of the car where she has spent the day removing the remains of the old carpets with a wire brush! The perfect wife?? 8)

It looks like the car was imported new into Japan as some of the under bonnet stickers are in Japanese and it has the importers sticker in the rear window. I'm not sure when it was brought back to Europe but I would like to find out more about it's history if I can.. I have no documents with it at the moment but should have at least the V5 soon..

Attachments

• image_981.jpg
    image_981.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 18,164
whaletail said:
I received an email from my wife with pictures of the inside of the car where she has spent the day removing the remains of the old carpets with a wire brush! The perfect wife?? 8)

She was looking for coins.
:)

So, I want to make sure the engine is healthy and running right before I remove it. I warmed it up to check the oil level and as I removed the oil cap, the engine died. This happened both times I tried so I guess it has some kind of breathing issue, any ideas?

whaletail said:
It looks like the car was imported new into Japan as some of the under bonnet stickers are in Japanese and it has the importers sticker in the rear window.

If it was new when imported I'd have thought it would be RHD. :dont know:

That's a valid point! Lots of Japanese stickers in evidence though?

whaletail said:
That's a valid point! Lots of Japanese stickers in evidence though?

Maybe it was a 'nearly new' import from the US. :dont know:

A lot of european sports cars imported to Japan were ordered LHD otherwise they weren't 'real european sports cars'. Strange but true!

Hopefully I can do a bit of research and find out the life history of the car. On the subject of the oil cap removal cutting the engine, I've done a bit of searching on other forums and it looks like I may have vacuum leaks somewhere or a missing air restrictor in the line to the filer neck, sound plausible?

Time to drop the engine and gearbox now (I said it would be a slow process!) I have seen on the impact bumpers forum that some people have made flat trollies to support the weight of the engine & box on the heat exchangers. Are they strong enough for that? It would make trolley build a lot easier and the whole thing would be more stable but I'm worried I may damage them.

Dropping the engine on the heat exchangers

Hi, I know this has been a long time but did you find out if it was ok to drop the engine on its heat exchangers?

I will be dropping mine in the new year and talking to my mechanic he advisor to remove them first.

Please let me know how it went?

Absolutely fine to drop it onto the heat exchangers. Lots of people advised me it would be ok and I have had no problems with it. I made my own trolley to lower the engine/box onto and it sat there happily while I had the shell painted. Good luck!

Chum, We're 2+ yrs on :eek: How far have you got with it :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back