Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1984 Porsche Gemballa Flatnose Slantnose 911 at auction

tedzwedz

I just saw this! very cool and I love the Clarion Stereo

1984 Porsche Gemballa 911 Carrera Coupe

Lot No. 3041
To be offered on Saturday, August 2, 2014

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/even...&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=Cars

Estimate: $ 80,000 - $110,000
Gemballa Automobil Interieur was founded in the late 1970s by Uwe Gemballa from Leonberg, near Stuttgart in Germany. Uwe started with VWs, but soon ventured into the world of Porsche. As the company's name suggests, their specialty was interiors and that's what built their reputation. Gemballa's interiors were among the best, if not THE best available in the 1980s. European automobiles from Porsche to Mercedes-Benz, BMW and even Rolls-Royce received new interiors. The Gemballa interiors weren't just known for their leather, as they also typically can be found with the latest electronic gadgets on-board such as digital instruments, TVs and the latest in audio technology.

In addition to interiors, Gemballa also did some very impressive complete conversions, mainly on Porsche cars. To be able to fund the time and money consuming one-off cars that were built to customer-specifications, Gemballa also had a parts program, mainly for the Porsche 911, 944 and 928 models. These included simple trim upgrades for the interior and new bumpers, spoilers, and body moldings for the exterior. When a Gemballa Porsche was ordered it was completely stripped down, repainted it and re-bodied with body moldings, custom interior, audio and minor tuning done at RUF whom was down the road.

This particular Gemballa 911 Carrera Coupe is one of three examples reportedly sold through its Los Angeles distributor before Gemballa filed for bankruptcy. The other five were sold through Gemballa Miami. When a Gemballa was ordered by the client each car would have to be flown in by plane. Of the three cars ordered through Los Angeles, one went to Michael Jackson, the actor Robert Redford, who totaled his car in an accident, and Dr. Edwin Edillon, the original owner of this example. Included with this car is original sales brochure from Gemballa, the original books with stamps, all factory stereo manuals for upgrades executed by Gemballa, original import documentation showing the car was flown in by plane, and a copy of the title showing the original owner's name.

Very few authentic Gemballas exist today and this is one of the lowest mileage unmolested cars known to exist. The pre-bankruptcy Gemballas are said to be the hardest and most sought after cars because they were so expensive to build as so much went into each car that it ultimately caused their financial demise. This car was recently serviced and has a new clutch, including records to document the work. It presents in virtually like new condition and the 24-karat gold gilded wheels look though as they did when they were finished by Gemballa in the '80s. As the Gemballa name has recently become resurrected with today marques, this example presents a rare opportunity to become a part in an emerging market of '80s collector cars that is increasingly popular as of late.

Attachments

• 1984_porsche_gemballa_911_carrera_coupe_b_135.jpg
    1984_porsche_gemballa_911_carrera_coupe_b_135.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 4,531
  • 1984_porsche_gemballa_911_carrera_coupe_c_327.jpg
    1984_porsche_gemballa_911_carrera_coupe_c_327.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 4,530
  • 1984_porsche_gemballa_911_carrera_coupe_e_845.jpg
    1984_porsche_gemballa_911_carrera_coupe_e_845.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 4,530
  • 1984_porsche_gemballa_911_carrera_coupe_f_956.jpg
    1984_porsche_gemballa_911_carrera_coupe_f_956.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 4,530
  • 1984_porsche_gemballa_911_carrera_coupe_g_196.jpg
    1984_porsche_gemballa_911_carrera_coupe_g_196.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 4,530
  • 1984_porsche_gemballa_911_carrera_coupe_h_708.jpg
    1984_porsche_gemballa_911_carrera_coupe_h_708.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 4,530
  • 1984_porsche_gemballa_911_carrera_coupe_i_660.jpg
    1984_porsche_gemballa_911_carrera_coupe_i_660.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 4,531
My God, it looks horrible.

MC

MisterCorn said:
My God, it looks horrible.

MC

so wrong but oh so cool :eek: :D :grin: :eh!:

tedzwedz, what are you thinking for pricing range, feels like somewhere between $25k and $250k :bandit:

911UK said:
so wrong but oh so cool :eek: :D :grin: :eh!:

tedzwedz, what are you thinking for pricing range, feels like somewhere between $25k and $250k :bandit:

Haha good point! They are quite precise on price ($80-110k) however something as unique as this just depends on two buyers who love it!

Paint looks very deep good quality

I'm not getting that 'pinnacle of quality feeling' shining through in the dashboard? Some of those gaps and lines are all over the place!

Other that I wholeheartedly agree with 911UK's comment - this is one very cool car indeed :cool:

An interior you'd find in a Hainalt Builders council house in 1984.
HiFi in a cabinet made in his sons CSE woodwork practical, and varnished with crown clear.

Flachbaus are great, in race trim and livery
In this yank guise, they can only be described as "f cking hideous"

He's stuckone too many zeros in the estimate.

A breaker.

LOL

tim993 said:
I'm not getting that 'pinnacle of quality feeling' shining through in the dashboard? Some of those gaps and lines are all over the place!

Other that I wholeheartedly agree with 911UK's comment - this is one very cool car indeed :cool:

TO be fair the centre console is 30 years old this year!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back