Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Noisy Gearbox 996 C4

Wingnonut

I currently have an '89 3.2 Carrera as my toy and since my weekly mileage in the Daily Driver has recently dropped significantly I though about looking for a daily runabout 996 rather than replace my ageing S Type Jag Diesel with another Luxo barge.

I have looked at a few in the sub £10k bracket and have now come across a 3.4 Carrera 4 that on the face of it sort of seems good save for one or two points.

It has just had £2.8k worth of work done at JZM including clutch, dual mass fly wheel IMS and RMS as well as a load more work done over the past year or so.

Vendor, a late 50s Accountant has had it 8 years and has put 40k of its 85k miles, wanted it all sorted before sale and sent it to JZM. They did all the work and on the invoice have noted a noisy gearbox and Variocam solonoid failure causing a lumpy idle. Lumpy idle wasn't a problem but at idle and on the test drive there was a distinct noise from the gearbox. Vendors says JZM said not to worry but I am sure it was more like he had chucked a load of money at it and didn't want to chuck any more for JZM to take out the box and find it FUBAR.

I will speak to Chris at JZM but wondered if the Font of All Knowledge that is 911uk may have some pointers as to likely issue and consequences. Solonoid maybe a b1tch to get to but sure I can manage that but I don't want to be getting into a daily driver that needs a new gearbox. As I say, rest of the car is great as is service history. No issues with rads, aircon or suspension. Worried if I offer him a cheeky offer and he takes my arm off that he knows something I don't with that gearbox. On the other hand he may just be a nice old accountant who feels he is to old to be running around in Pork!

Don't normally post on 911uk much as you will note but you chaps may know more than the IB.com lot about the WC stuff.

Cheers,

Richard.

Definately gearbox, you can hear where it is coming from and defo not front diff. JZM mention it as gearbox on the invoice. Didn't get a chance to phone them yesterday but will do.

It is present at idle and stationary as well as on the move.

In all honesty, a dodgy gearbox is an expensive fix - in terms of known labour to remove, strip and rebuild plus the unknown - the parts required.

If there is a plentiful choice out there, consider skipping this car and look for another one.

You have to ask why someone who spends £2.8k to have the car sorted but skips the repairs on the dodgy gearbox is selling the car. Pehaps as an accountant he has financial modelling acumen to conclude "that's it, no more, someone else can plough more money into it".

Just make sure that 'someone else' isn't you.

If its just the gearbox then damage limitation, but if it involves diff, pinion/crwon wheel, the costs escalate and you can easily sink £6k into a fix on a car bought for £10k! Bizarre arithmetic, but people seem prepared to do it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back