Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My in-car video from Nurburgring (near miss!)

This is why you need to be very careful with TF - and remember: if there is an accident then the only people who care who is to blame are the Police and the Insurance company - you are still walking home.

First thing is first - in TF, it is a public road and you are supposed to drive on the right and overtake on the left. However, a car behind is generally considered to be responsible for ensuring that an overtake is safe and hitting the back of a car is usually blamed on the car behind. As such, the blame game if they had hit could actually go either way and would thus probably have been evens. (Unless one or the other failed to stop of course - the local law really don't view that in an acceptable light).

But the most important part:
Partyvan wrote: I assumed...

As they say : assumption is the root of all f**k ups. In TF the one thing that you should not do is assume. In particular you never assume that a car has seen you. You equally should never aim to pass into an apex. Your approach is into the blind spot of the car that you are passing, they are almost certain to be focussing on the exit and unless they have both seen you and are expecting you to overtake then the gap that you are aiming at WILL close every time. This is the reason why overtaking on bends is banned on track days - it practically guarantees that collisions will take place sooner or later.

If it is going slowly then you can overtake a GT2RS in even an R4R Swift without doing anything so daftly impatient.

As for complaining about cars being impolite and not moving over and waving you through : it is TF - they don't have to do that. It wasn't in the briefing that they didn't have or on anything that they were not given to not read. That is the point, and indeed the fact that on track days people are required to show consideration is just one more reason why they are better than TF.

And finger pointing isn't relevant either - for every super car who has held me up when I was in a FWD rental there are at least as many people in hatchbacks that have thought that they were winning a BTCC race by being in front of me in the 911. Nobody has yet explicitly blocked my in a Suzuki, but plenty of shed jockeys have done when I was in a GT3. Even on DH, which is true ignorant f**kwitery... :nooo:

infrasilver said:
Too agressive for a TF. I Deleted all my other comments.

The problem is that seemingly 1 in every 5 cars on a TF session is usually being dangerously aggressive. It is a challenge - you have to give it that. But do it enough and you are going to see car on car impacts.

Well, I'm glad you lot won't go to TF days, it keeps the numbers down.
TF is for old school motoring types, that like to drive their car as quick as they want on a fantastic historic track and who can't get all their kicks from health and safety bent mothering Trackdays.

Where has the adrenalin, gone.
TF .....Love it. (And yes I have had some bad accidents) thats life!

Re the vid. He wasn't exactly trying and sometimes you just don't see people.
Mistakes happen :dont know:

angry said:
Well, I'm glad you lot won't go to TF days, it keeps the numbers down.
TF is for old school motoring types, that like to drive their car as quick as they want on a fantastic historic track and who can't get all their kicks from health and safety bent mothering Trackdays.

Where has the adrenalin, gone.
TF .....Love it. (And yes I have had some bad accidents) thats life!

Re the vid. He wasn't exactly trying and sometimes you just don't see people.
Mistakes happen :dont know:

More proof.

Funny thing with the TF days is that it was always like that and this is going back 10 years when I was 1st there

except all the cars were a lot less powerful, so were the tyres and the traction control systems as well as the quality of cars (outside performance German) capable of lapping quickly was quite low

all these factors have changed 10 years later

add the volume of traffic was a quarter to what it is today

it has changed a lot over the years

No I don't think all Porsche drivers are *****. There are some very talented and down-to-earth 911 owners, who actually know the difference between a piston ring and an onion ring. I repsect them hugely.

But sadly a fair number of owners are talentless and think that having a car with pedigree makes them quick. It's times like this I enjoy demolishing them in a 2 litre, naturally aspirated FWD shed.

This is mirrored at UK trackdays, where Porsches rarely seem to be anything but the slowest cars on track. When I see a quick one I respect that because they do take a lot of skill to drive quickly, something I've yet to do myself in my 911. In the meantime, just move over and let the hatchbacks past!

Partyvan said:
In the meantime, just move over and let the hatchbacks past!

Absolutely but not through that left hander in Pflanzgarten :lol:

Can someone enlighten me on the difference between track days and what TF bit stands for. Google is sending me to an MG and this word 'Touristfahrten' on a ring site, however still don't know what that means!

I find it hard to bucket any drivers into pots where they all act the same. Just been to the Dovehouse meet and you couldn't get a more broad group of people if you tried. I imagine it would be the same for all car brands.

C

Track day is a private organised event pre booked,set numbers , drivers briefings ,etc ,

TF day is open to public where anyone just turns up at any time and puts a quid in the pot and goes on the track ,

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back