Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does the 997.2

No :thumb:

So worth the higher price for peace of mind?

Is there any online brochure for the Gen ?

Thanks

A gen 2 is more reliable than a VW golf, and there are more improvements than just the direct Injection engine :thumbs:

There's more power making a gen 2 carerra as powerful as a gen1 S
The interior is updated is more stylish with better quality materials
Led lights are standard
Litronic headlights
Newly designed rear lights
Improved PASM
PDK
Etc etc
Overall it's more a new model than a facelift and it won't go bang. Prices are much steeper for good reason.

What date did the Gen 2's come out?? Don't think I could justify changing mine yet but if SWMBO keeps saying we don't need 3 cars a 4S could be on the cards :?:

I take it that you can connect your phone via Bluetooth too??

Not sure of the month but Gen2 came out in 2008 on a 58 plate.

Bluetooth phone module is not standard, but most I looked at had it.

Ant-toe-knee said:

Gen 2 Tequipment Brochure: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5c4r8cgmv1dsbpm/Porsche (Tequipment 911).pdf

mcwullie said:
What date did the Gen 2's come out??

Q3 2008.

spongebob squarepants said:

It weighs more too. And that's excludes the driver. :hand:

997.1 C2S, 4.9s to 100kph.
997.2 C2, 4.8s to 100kph.

Yippee, it's 2% faster! Which excludes the additional 35kg or PDK.

All the interior part numbers are the same. Perhaps they came from better cows for the 997.2. Granted PCM3 is a significant improvement.

Led lights are standard

DRLs are for Christmas trees IMHO.

Litronic headlights

Which are strangely identical to the 997.1 Litronic, where they are standard on the S and optional on the non-S.

Improved PASM

Really? How? Most are the same part numbers again.

Perfect for the older and less able generation I find. Specifically those who want a VW Golf experience wrapped in a Porsche branded shell. :frustrated:

plavix said:
Ant-toe-knee said:

Gen 2 Tequipment Brochure: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5c4r8cgmv1dsbpm/Porsche (Tequipment 911).pdf

mcwullie said:
What date did the Gen 2's come out??

Q3 2008.

It weighs more too. And that's excludes the driver. :hand:

997.1 C2S, 4.9s to 100kph.
997.2 C2, 4.8s to 100kph.

Yippee, it's 2% faster! Which excludes the additional 35kg or PDK.

All the interior part numbers are the same. Perhaps they came from better cows for the 997.2. Granted PCM3 is a significant improvement.

Led lights are standard

DRLs are for Christmas trees IMHO.

Litronic headlights

Which are strangely identical to the 997.1 Litronic, where they are standard on the S and optional on the non-S.

Improved PASM

Really? How? Most are the same part numbers again.

Perfect for the older and less able generation I find. Specifically those who want a VW Golf experience wrapped in a Porsche branded shell. :frustrated:

Plavix you have a downer on gen 2 cars! I shall defend the Gen 2 with valour

Interior

The PCM3 is as you mention a big improvement however also noticeable is a difference in quality of materials particularly the leather for the seats which is much improved, compare the 2 there is a difference, and the dash around the PCM is also much improved and less cluttered (Hence some upgrade to gen 2 spec interiors)

PASM

Was overhauled for the generation 2? It's well documented. I can't notice the difference having driven both, however there is a difference when driven at the limit apparently

Power and engine
Again it is well documented the DFi engine performs differently to the old engine, it performs from lower in the rev range, and the 0-62 on the standard Carerra PDK is actually very close in real time to 4 seconds with sport plus (Which is quick enough for me) most Porsche fans overlook the 3.6 and always choose the 3.8, most should try the 3.6 first! Unless I'm missing something a PDK gen 2 is quicker than a manual 997.1 as the driver is the weak link.
Most manual fans diss the PDK, however it's not an auto, it just loses the pointless hard to operate pedal on the left side :) A PDK is genuinely a joy to drive, but the die hard manual fan will always disagree, Porsche agree however, the manuals days are numbered for good reason.
As mentioned the engine addresses all the previous reliability issues with some style, the only downside is it doesn't sound as nice making PSE an essential option.

Lights
Apologies I was talking about my car a 3.6 so standard litronics and the look of the LED's I think improve the car dramatically.

There is a clear and substantial price difference between gen 1 and 2 cars, mainly due to that superb new engine, however there are other subtle differences.

Plavix you have a downer on gen 2 cars!

Absolutely not. The 997.2 is a fantastic package. I especially like yours as you have excellent taste in car colour and wheel colour combination. I would be in a GTS in a flash were I not quite so tight.

Where I do take issue is the constant "it's not as good" and "it's going to blow up" references and insinuation. I for one am prepared to stick up for my 997.1, which I love. This is not a rant and not meant as a wind-up of you. I just want to keep the record straight as opinions (mine included) where they are not factual affect peoples perception without cause.

Interior
The PCM3 is as you mention a big improvement however also noticeable is a difference in quality of materials particularly the leather for the seats which is much improved, compare the 2 there is a difference, and the dash around the PCM is also much improved and less cluttered (Hence some upgrade to gen 2 spec interiors)

PCM3 is a given and agreed. Materials are the same. Including the seats and the dash. You can't compare Vinyl side panels for the centre dash with leather! The fan and temp rocker buttons are a constant distraction for me and much better on the 997.2. They can be swapped. Volcano Grey should never have been allowed inside a 911. Period.

Power and engine
Again it is well documented the DFi engine performs differently to the old engine, it performs from lower in the rev range,

You have that the wrong way around. There is more torque and power available earlier with the M96/M97.

and the 0-62 on the standard Carerra PDK is actually very close in real time to 4 seconds with sport plus (Which is quick enough for me)

Porsche are notoriously conservative with their acceleration figures so we can't assume one is less conservative than another. You also cannot add Sport and Sport Plus, they can only be compared with equal specification. My figures of 4.8 and 4.9 respectively stand.

Unless I'm missing something a PDK gen 2 is quicker than a manual 997.1 as the driver is the weak link.

35kg is rather a lot from one solitary part. It will affect acceleration. If you add SSK and a real driver (perhaps not me in all honesty) then PDK becomes less 'useful'.

Most manual fans diss the PDK, however it's not an auto,

Well, it is as it replaces the Tip. They still make a manual 991. Thankfully.

it just loses the pointless hard to operate pedal on the left side :) A PDK is genuinely a joy to drive, but the die hard manual fan will always disagree, Porsche agree however, the manuals days are numbered for good reason.

Only for those incapable of operating said pointless pedal. They still make a manual 991. Thankfully. I know, I said that!

As mentioned the engine addresses all the previous reliability issues with some style,

Stop with the "it's going to blow up" insinuation. Agreed, the M96/M97 have weaknesses. There are many documented issues of owners suffering. All of whom have my sympathy. There are many, many more owners who have had no such issues. Me included. And I don't cruise or dawdle. I spank it hard when it's warm!

the only downside is it doesn't sound as nice making PSE an essential option.

Sadly, even with PSE the DFI sounds nowhere near as melodic or purposeful.

the LED's I think improve the car dramatically.

They still belong on a Christmas tree. Or a Citroen. :dont know:

There is a clear and substantial price difference between gen 1 and 2 cars, mainly due to that superb new engine, however there are other subtle differences.

There may have been late last year. This year, however, the brand has been tarnished a little. Perhaps due to the 991 GT3. There is very little difference in price between an 08 997.1 and an 08 997.2. Any differences in price are representative of specification and mileage. There are 997.1 cars more expensive than 997.2 cars on Autotrader today! Don't be confused by private and trade prices either. They are always going to vary.

A gen 2 is more reliable than a VW golf, and there are more improvements than just the direct Injection engine :thumbs:

Led lights are standard
Litronic headlights
Newly designed rear lights
Improved PASM
PDK
Etc etc
Overall it's more a new model than a facelift and it won't go bang. Prices are much steeper for good reason.

+1 well said spongebob couldn't agree more :grin:

Own a gen 2 but have driven a few gen 1 cars. Sponge identifies most of the key differences but as has already been suggested it is pretty subjective.

Comparing performance seems a bit pointless, as in the real world there is little to separate them, especially if you intend to keep your licence and the car sunny side up.

Aesthetically again there is little to separate them - I personally prefer the curvy rear lights of mine, but many (GT4 gets a nod here) like the straighter lined gen 1...

In the end it was the (superior?) interior and additional creature comforts of the gen 2 - PCM3, Bluetooth, iPod connection etc - that won me over.

The PDK vs manual debate will rage on and on, but as a staunch believer that manual was king, I was genuinely shocked at how good PDK was, so much so that I had absolutely no hesitation or regrets dropping that pesky clutch pedal :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back