Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Warrant Direct... Yay or Nay?

Three phone calls this morning, and if what I experienced of their outfacing sales staff is representative of their customer service I am not going near them with a barge pole. Very unprofessional and argumentative I thought.

WRITETOMAB said:
GregorFuk said:
Unless their T&Cs have changed since I had my warranty with them it is also worth noting that you don't get any cover for the first 90 days of the policy. This helps protects WD against exiting issues.

I believe that only relates to wear and tear items. If the claim is not wear and tear related you can claim anytime in the first 90 days.

I love that, 12 months cost for 9 months cover!

I was interested when I bought my car last September. After three failed attempts of the manager of the 'prestige' car department (I.e. He didn't phone when he had arranged to) I told them to keep it.

Sausage said:
Three phone calls this morning, and if what I experienced of their outfacing sales staff is representative of their customer service I am not going near them with a barge pole. Very unprofessional and argumentative I thought.

Wow... really. The guy I dealt with was very polite and knowledgeable. I guess its just luck of the draw in terms of sales staff.

GregR1 said:
WRITETOMAB said:
GregorFuk said:
Unless their T&Cs have changed since I had my warranty with them it is also worth noting that you don't get any cover for the first 90 days of the policy. This helps protects WD against exiting issues.

I believe that only relates to wear and tear items. If the claim is not wear and tear related you can claim anytime in the first 90 days.

I love that, 12 months cost for 9 months cover!

I was interested when I bought my car last September. After three failed attempts of the manager of the 'prestige' car department (I.e. He didn't phone when he had arranged to) I told them to keep it.

The cover is in place from the start and you can claim in the first 3 months, just not for wear and tear... which to be honest from an Insurer perspective is fair enough. Otherwise they would get every Tom, Dick & Harry buying a policy when they know there are items that will require attention due to wear and tear. Don't forget, the OPC warranty does not cover wear and tear at all... ever.

Sausage said:

As I said I have had 3 years experience of them with my BMW.
Every year they automatically tried to reduce the level of cover they provided in order that it was compatibly priced to the previous year - I never noticed the 1st time and it was only when I tried to claim and was knocked back that I noticed that they had downgraded my cover.

rossman999 said:
As I said I have had 3 years experience of them with my BMW. Every year they automatically tried to reduce the level of cover they provided in order that it was compatibly priced to the previous year - I never noticed the 1st time and it was only when I tried to claim and was knocked back that I noticed that they had downgraded my cover.

Do they not even show the choice I.e keep same level of cover at higher price (Maybe due to the car getting older) or reduce cover at same price (they have a sliding scale of what they will pay for as a percentage of the parts cost as the car gets each year older). In fact I wonder if what you saw is normal because of their sliding scale on parts cover and the betterment clause? Both are affected by the age of a car.

MJA997 said:
Do they not even show the choice I.e keep same level of cover at higher price (Maybe due to the car getting older) or reduce cover at same price (they have a sliding scale of what they will pay for as a percentage of the parts cost as the car gets each year older). In fact I wonder if what you saw is normal because of their sliding scale on parts cover and the betterment clause? Both are affected by the age of a car.

It was normally done on the phone so you never picked up that they had reduced your cover. It was only when the paperwork arrived you saw it had changed.
You then had to go back to them and start the whole negotiation process again.

Annoying way to operate! How did the cover reduce, was it those things that are affected by age like the parts cover or was it more fundamental?

Very annoying - it was a drop from extra to secure or something similar which did not cover some of the suspension components when they failed.

I was ready for it the year after :)

Sounds like your car went from being up to 6 years old (extracare) to being up to 10 years old (securecare). Poor that they don't make that clear and what the implications are at renewal because you need to go into the policy docs for each to see exactly what's covered and what isn't. The percentage of the parts cost they cover going down as the car gets older is easy to miss too.

In fairness to WD though, the discussion over the past few days seems to show they are one of the better 3rd party choices and a viable alternative to OPC. FWIW I'm still leaning towards the maintenance plan approach, feels more like a partnership, but plenty of time to change my mind yet.

I ran under the BMW warranty for 4 years (car purchased at a year old) and year 6, 7 & 8 warranty direct

Really useful advice guys and great to learn from other peoples experience. Seems to me the key things to do when dealing with these guys are as follows:

1. Get an online quote as they will then follow up with a call
2. Make sure the cover level they are offering is what you need
3. Get the policy terms and conditions and make sure you are satisfied there are no easy 'get out' clauses
4. Ask for confirmation in writing that thing like failures caused by IMS and RMS issues are covered (they are)
5. Don't accept their first offer and haggle on the price to get it as cheap as possible.
6. When it comes to renewal make sure you speak with them to get the same level of cover or if your cover does change make sure you are happy with the changes.
7. Make sure you look after the car as specified in their T&C's (i.e. Serviced in accordance with manufacturer's guidelines etc)

I still haven't fully made my mind up which way to go yet but will let you guys know.

A good checklist. They rang me today (sales guy was pretty good, a bit arsey at first when I asked him why he was asking me all the same things that I had already filled out in order to get their online quote) with the reduced price/pay by instalments routine. I asked about a 2 year deal, it was £1650, plus £70 for their acceptance inspection. I can't see any big no no with their policy and I do like the wear and tear aspect and the services and MOT cover. Tempted!

It would also mean I can stay with my local Indie and not worry about OPC attitudes towards my dectanes, LTT and dension connector and, heavens forbid, non N rated Michelin Super Sports when my PS2s are worn out. I also asked about the "Lite" warranty, which is incredibly cheap as already mentioned on this thread, still looking into that.

Arsey you say? I thought the two guys I spoke to were unbelievable, in a bad way. One of them said to me "You know nothing about warranties what's your problem? What's wrong with you?"
When all I was trying to do was negotiate a little extra discount due to the engine rebuild. He kept talking over me, and then accused me of not being able to explain myself. I said if you shut up for a minute I'll be able to explain to you what I want to say. He then went a bit mental.
My take on these guys, over enthusiastic sales people, with not a lot of knowledge, but a lot of arrogance. I didn't like them, and I wouldn't want to deal with them in a claims situation, but I might still go ahead with it anyway, hoping the claims team are not as bolshey as the sales team.

Anyway - "Lite" is in their own words "Not a warranty". It basically covers you for all the same items, but only if those items fail catastrophically causing a break down situation. So, just to be clear, nothing is covered until you are broken down, then the item that caused the breakdown is covered. Same wear and tear aspects apply.

I agree, the warranty does sound like a good option, especially with the wear and tear aspects.

M

The culture they've got in that sales team is probably based on competition with each other, I can imagine what they're like. With the guy I spoke to, the talking over me thing was there, every time he did it I just kept talking, he managed to control himself and not get riled up, lucky me.

WD's tactic of creaming off sales to people who take the first price they see via the online system and then backing it up with these guys dropping price and pushing you over the line is not the most pleasant way to buy, but this looks to be a decent product underneath all that. Agree the Lite product is totally different.

My guy told me he would confirm all that we discussed via email, which he hasn't, they really don't make themselves at all likeable!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back