Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clutch Slip..?

BullyB

Spa-Francorchamps
I have never had a clutch slip before that I can think of. I was pulling away from some lights today, as fast as I could as I was in the wrong lane :roll:

When I let out the clutch and accelerated, it felt like the clutch pedal only came up half way?
The engine revved up but I didn't move away very well. Then the clutch stank...

Anybody had this?
It was fine for the rest of the journey.

I did look a bit of a dick as I revved the nuts off the car and went nowhere :lol:

Yes, that sounds like clutch slip. To check if it's the clutch on the way out or just a poor start, put it in a high gear and floor it - if the revs flick up before the speed increases then the clutch is slipping. Get it changed sooner rather than later and you may be able to save the flywheel.

Cheers, will give that a try tomorrow.
In 3 weeks I'm away for 3 months so it may have to wait. Possibly a good time to do the IMS etc..

Yes, if you do end up needing a clutch, might as well do the IMS and RMS whilst the gearbox is off.

i had the exact same problem last year! pedal came up half way and there wasnt much resistance for the remaining inch or so.....
I had the clutch replaced by the porsche mechanic i use and he showed me the old clutch. The clutch itself wasnt slipping due to wear (was original clutch at 72k miles) it was due to the compression forks....
Almost half of them were at a more shallow angle than the rest!!
My guess is they had tempered slightly due to the heat and lost their spring-back properties so to speak....

996 Clutch

My 996 Turbo has developed a whining noise, very faint though, it goes away when i gently depress the clutch but does come back again, no clutch slip though,
I did put a tread on the Forum last week, just thought this may get a few more ideas, im going to take it to my Local indy tomorrow in Peterborough

Still have not driven it again yet. Will have a play tomorrow and see what it does.
Looks like I had better start saving up....

it doesnt have to be expensive.... i had mine changed by a porsche mechanic for £620 inc clutch..... and it was done in less than 3 hours, everyone else quoted 9 hours £1000+
Where about in east mids you from?

Well, I just went for a "spirited" drive...
Changing up gears seems ok, I have not noticed the revs increasing.
I did a couple of "full wack" accelerations from standstill through the gears and all seems good too..
I did notice that the clutch smell was a bit strong but the roof is down.

I'm intending to take it to a garage so they can take a look.
Need to research East Midlands garages now

Thanks for the advice

Clutch slip

BullyB said:
I did a couple of "full wack" accelerations from standstill through the gears and all seems good too..

Thanks for the advice

Are you near Peterborough ?

Re: Clutch slip

martinhodson said:
BullyB said:

Thanks for the advice

1h 40m away. I'm near Loughborough.

I'm just looking at garages now and Cavendish or Zentrum seem to be popular

Re: Clutch slip

BullyB said:
martinhodson said:
BullyB said:

Thanks for the advice

1h 40m away. I'm near Loughborough.

TWG Peterborough, very good

I'm just looking at garages now and Cavendish or Zentrum seem to be popular

Thanks for the suggestion. Possibly a bit far for now but will keep them in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back