Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Investment

Yeh, sorry, 'Investment" was probably the wrong term to use.
I had been told by a few people that they had more or less bottomed out and would slowly start going up in value.
I had just fancied one, as I've always admired them.
I currently have a 993c2 with various mods, that I've had for 13 years and don't really ever want to sell it. It won't go up in value much, as it has sketchy service history, is half stripped out with a cage and boxster seats, but I love it because its so bulletproof having spent most of the last 70,00 miles on the Nurburgring and Trackdays its still going strong.

I thought that if I bought the 996tt had it a while and wasn't smitten by it,having experienced it for a while, that I could sell it in a year or two having lost little or no money, maybe even making a bit......

If you want to run one for a year or so then I don't think you would take a hit on depreciation, as for what it would cost you to run that clearly depends on the actual car. Whilst I am sure that a few at the bottom of the price scale might have large bills looming, I bet there are more and more at relatively low prices which you could run for a time without that. They can't all need work. In my experience the amount of work required on a car doesn't always follow the price. Sure you can buy a cheap one and get fleeced, if you are careful/lucky you can also get one at a good price which is that price because it is old or higher mileage, but has been looked after well. Chose wisely and you can have a lot of smiles for the money IMO.

Good luck in the hunt.

MC

Could be worse I was 'thinking' of a Bentley GT for £20k until I read the 'issues' they throw up :coat:

Double the £20k budget to £40k and then you're into the bottom end of 996 GT2 price range..
Finding one that hasn't been repaired after an " incident" may prove a little difficult below £45k though.

angry said:
Yeh, sorry, 'Investment" was probably the wrong term to use.
I had been told by a few people that they had more or less bottomed out and would slowly start going up in value. I had just fancied one, as I've always admired them.

I thought that if I bought the 996tt had it a while and wasn't smitten by it, having experienced it for a while, that I could sell it in a year or two having lost little or no money, maybe even making a bit......

:thumb:

DO IT NOW.

Take your time to get the right car for between £20k and £25k privately and apart from running costs it shouldn't cost you anything if you then sell it privately a year later.

If you go the dealer route then obviously you'll get hit at both ends. :eek: ie you'll pay c15% more and get c15% less as a trade in.

Personally I'd avoid the cheapest (oldest and/or highest mileage) cars.

Of couse, once you've experienced a 996T, the thought of selling it for something that gives far less :grin: 's per £ might scupper your plans.

The 996 turbo was the best kept secret of the modern useable Porsche models.
The word is out now though and I would advise buying sooner rather than later to avoid a marketplace that is already heating up.
The dealers are now actively seeking these cars for stock,which tells you all you need to know.

I love my little 993, but I'm missing the smooth ride and creature comforts.
Oooooh really tempted!!!!
Oh and monster power :grin:

angry said:

WARNING

If you test drive one you'll be far more than 'tempted'.

T8 said:
angry said:

WARNING

^this. I was perfectly happy with my C2, but now when I look at it all I see is the missing turbos.....

T8 said:
angry said:

WARNING

To be fair I have done several laps of the Ring in one (although tiptronic, not my fav) and I wasn't blown away.
My 993 is well sorted and although the Turbo was ballistically quicker on the faster stuff, my 993 would have it on the brakes and in the tight stuff.
This is my mate following me and he had to work it to catch me in the first half;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRTMYPo1Lv8&index=14&list=FLoFbRrvahyAh7ADTyYYzcTw

Pretty poor lap by my standards, but good fun.

angry said:
T8 said:
angry said:

WARNING

To be fair I have done several laps of the Ring in one (although tiptronic, not my fav) and I wasn't blown away.
My 993 is well sorted and although the Turbo was ballistically quicker on the faster stuff, my 993 would have it on the brakes and in the tight stuff.
This is my mate following me and he had to work it to catch me in the first half;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRTMYPo1Lv8&index=14&list=FLoFbRrvahyAh7ADTyYYzcTw

Pretty poor lap by my standards, but good fun.

I'll do you a deal! Drive over to Kent in your 993 and I'll take you for a spin in my 996TT The return is you have to take me for a drive in the 993 :lol:

angry said:

The pace that a decent driver can pedal at (on the road or on track) in a sub 300hp Carrera never ceases to amaze me. :worship:

Me ..... I'm quite happy to lollop along, well within my own limited ability, keeping them in sight and catching them on the straight bits.

I've often wondered [but would be scared to find out] just how quick a 996T would be cross-country with a seriously fast pilot. :eek: Buy one and tell me :thumb:

964s and 993s have leapt up in the last year - 993TTs are now regularly advertised at 80+. 996 gt3s don't seem to hit the market unless they are sh1tted. My guess is the 996TTs are next. If I wasn't about to start a business 25 ish of my pounds would go to one so that if they do go I'm in one, and if they don't go I'm still in a 996 turbo!

ragpicker said:
You shouldn't buy any car as an investment unless you are a motor trader and don't care how many punters you shaft in the search for a buck.
I find that quite offensive.I was in the motor trade was 20 plus years, and didnt try and shaft anyone.
Dont assume alll motor dealers are dishonest.Ive witnessed far more dishonesty and underhand behaviour, from members of the public, than any deal I ever did with another trader.
All those "like new" part exs that used to arrive.On there last legs, that I was EXPECTED to accept.Naturally Mr and Mrs average, would create a stink, if the car they just bought had a fault wouldnt they?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back