Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Removing a whale tail

carkid

Sorry if this has already been covered previously but can anyone confirm-
If you remove the whale tail from a 3.2 Carrera I assume you have to source a complete new engine lid to do the job properly- what's the situation regarding the rear windscreen wiper electrics?
Also, can anyone name a decent Porsche secondhand parts company that's likely to stock engine lids?

Any info greatly appreciated.....I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 3.2 but can't stand the whale tail looks so want to make sure I can get rid of it no
problem...

thanks

I agree! a widebody non turbo without whaletail is my dream in black

AFAIK you just take the spoiler off and replace with a grill.

I took mine off to clean underneath, and it's just erm 18 bolts? IIRC holding it on.

You may have some rubbing marks.

What you WILL have to do is change the engine-lid struts to less powerful ones, as the spoiler is stupidly heavy.

But I simply replaced my spoiler back onto my lid, so I don't know for certain.

You can fill holes but second hand flat lid is best bet as less work and you can return to original - here is mine awaiting a new grill. They look much better with flat lids in my opinion.

157489526ae1fb723b1e06b2c20b3357.jpg

I have just gone the other way - each to his own - and fitted a whaletail to a 3.2 Carrera. One small thing I found was that the rear window wiper splined part was not long enough to go through the spoiler. I have found out, by putting a separate thread on the Forum that there are 2 lengths of splined bits - obviously one for with a whaletail and one for without. So you may find you have to get the shorter one. We could have done a swap !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back