Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 T home today

Nice car, does it have spacers on?

Paulmc said:
being as its only my toy you might right I maybe should have looked at manual. The last few cars ive had have all been auto and just kind of got used to it.

Once i paly with the engine a bit i am sure it will be quick enough.

got to agree re grip though its mental!!

Mine is a Tip and it gets a bit of getting used to on track but for everyday driving i like it and suites me fine.

I agree with whats been said about the K16 turbo's being enough. I run a 9e-25 conversion using their K16/39 hybrids and i'm running somewhere between 700-750 bhp

I can highly recommend both the turbo's and Nineexcellence.

Nice car! I have some comments for you to consider about your driving experience:

1. No idea about mileage and condition, but check out the shocks. Standard fit are Bilstein B4's - but you may want to consider fitting B6's all-round.

2. Handling issues. Have a full steering & suspension check up - any play anywhere where there shouldn't be will have a profound effect on handling.

3. If suspension checks out OK or if you have bits fixed, then have a full 4-wheel geometry. This can really transform the car.

4. I have never driven an M5 (always liked it though) or an RS6 and I'm not into mods. But I can confirm that the 996 Turbo with its combination of power, traction and handling is a fast beast on normal roads (I'm not comparing it to an M5 on a drag strip or anything like that where the extra bhp of an M5 or RS6 will likely condemn the Turbo to the grave).
Mine is an X50 factory upgrade in manual (450 bhp) and boy its fast on the twisty country lanes in Cheshire and drives as if its on rails - I had a 4 wheel geo and had all 4 coffin arms replaced when I bought it (two were showing a little sign of wear - so decided to have the car right and change the lot). Had full check-up on all the supsension and engine mounts.

5. Boost pressure - sounds as if it is all OK with 0.6 - 0.7. Try on a straight run and see the max you can get up to. It should comfortably hit 0.7/0.8. Have the whole turbo system pressure tested - another forum member on here regularly reminds us of potential for leaks is greater than we think. Have the whole turbo system checked out - including the control valves and wastegates.

THEN you really will reap the reward of any future remap. Ken at 9Excellence can give valuable advice on tuning these cars - he seems to know what he is doing and although he is near Gatwick, his input could be very valuable as to how you get the power you want with the delivery the way you want it.

One commment on exhaust note. The turbo's absorb a lot of noise so you will not obtain that true roar you are after. That is a fact and a factor that you can't do much about or can make limited improvement in. I'm not into noisier exhausts (as I have said, I'm in that camp that likes the car as close to original as possible). But just be aware that some of these after-market exhausts can create an awful drone - at around legal speed limits of 70-80 mph.
Apparently the after-market exhaust that comes highly recommended is Cargraphics - but I state only what people mention, never having tried these products. Apparently the Cargraphics is quite expensive - but reputed to be very good, if not the best product.

I am sure you will enjoy the 996 Turbo. Accept that in Tip form you have bought into some compromises. It cannot be a full manual with that third pedal. There is some compensation driving it in Manual Mode on the switches, but it is still an auto box with a torque converter even if you use it in manual mode.

For me the 996 Turbo is a childhood dream and ambition. I enjoy every minute of it and after 20 months of ownership, I still have a big grin looking at it every day and driving it as a week-end toy!

Not checked re spacers. i very much doubt it. 2 owner car that has not really moved. 43k miles

it did 26k in first 3 years, changed hands then harldy moved. It looks and feels like new to drive. There are a few stone chips on the front edge of the wings but to be expected i suppose. very minor and a bit of touch up will hid them.

I checked the suspension (i have a 4 post car ramp in my garden) deffo still OEM from new. Dont get me wrong under normal fast driving its perfect. it only played up on one corner where i pushed a bit hard and that is not likely to happen again.

The more i drive it the more i like it. I guess i was spoiled with the M5 given the technology was 13 years newer.

i can see it getting stripped sound proofing added and maybe a change to tyre.

K16/39 look really good but i see he only sells them as part of a kit. i am very much a DIY guy and dont like to pay porsche tax. DIY is all part of the experience and fun for me. (EX mechanic)

Mine came with brand new Pirelli P Zero tyres. These seem quite noisy on non-perfect tarmac rather like the Michelin MPSS that i ran on my Zed. The MPSS got a little quieter as they wore-in, but the Pirelli's don't appear to have.
That said, the car is quiet as a mouse compared to my 350z, so perhaps I'm hearing things i *should* have heard in the Zed before the exhaust upgrades!

Some folks have suggested that 36 psi front and 44 psi rear is a little too much for UK roads. I'm not sure if reducing pressures by a few psi is wise...or if it will make a difference to road noise/comfort?

Even on WOT the Turbo just makes a whooshing noise and a high-pitched shriek from the passenger side of the car. Not completely sorted that issue out yet...oddly, it doesn't make this noise when it's just me in the car :D

Paulmc said:
K16/39 look really good but i see he only sells them as part of a kit. i am very much a DIY guy and dont like to pay porsche tax. DIY is all part of the experience and fun for me. (EX mechanic)

Have a look at 911tuning.com if it's just supply-only you're after. I believe 9e have some kind of partnership with them so that's testament to the quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back