Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hello

Rustybear

Planning on getting Porsche as soon as possible, just missed securing a W reg 2001 996 C4 by ten minutes which had allot if work done Ie rms, clutch, discs, pads, alternator etc so bit gutted :-( Since taking that out I'm hooked WOW

996 models are in my budget, I know about ims and rms possible issues etc which seem well covered and if the car is looked after shouldn't be an issue with ims less an issue above 50k. However, I am just wondering if anything else I should keep an eye out for?

What's the best 996 model and year to get? I'm located in South Wales so any recommendations on where to have a look fir and hopefully buy a 996?

Any info welcomed, can't wait to get my hands on one now!!!

Welcome.

You mention IMS and rms but not bore scoring. If you are not familiar use the search facility.

:welcome: to 911uk Rusty',

Your choice of car will be limited by your budget. If you can find an enthusiasts car for sale privately you might save yourself 10-20% over an equivalent car advertised by a dealer.

Have a good read of the 996 forum on here (scroll through as many pages as possible) and you should learn enough about what to look for.

Use the classified ads on here, AutoTrader and PH to see what is available within your budget but bear in mind that it's normal advice to keep c£1k back for the inevitable fettling that you'll need/want to do soon after you buy a car.

Decide what's important to you eg. colour combo, manual/Tiptronic, C2/C4 and focus your search. View a few and try to drive or at least be driven in any you're seriously considering before making an offer.

Once you've found a car that seems right have a thorough PPI done before parting with any money. You might be able to use the findings to renegotiate the price you pay.

Happy Hunting :thumb:

Rustybear said:
Planning on getting Porsche as soon as possible, just missed securing a W reg 2001 996 C4 by ten minutes which had allot if work done Ie rms, clutch, discs, pads, alternator etc so bit gutted :-( Since taking that out I'm hooked WOW

996 models are in my budget, I know about ims and rms possible issues etc which seem well covered and if the car is looked after shouldn't be an issue with ims less an issue above 50k. However, I am just wondering if anything else I should keep an eye out for?

What's the best 996 model and year to get? I'm located in South Wales so any recommendations on where to have a look fir and hopefully buy a 996?

Any info welcomed, can't wait to get my hands on one now!!!
Dont be led into a false sense of security that IMS and bore scoring, is more likely as mileage increases.It doesnt seem to be a mitigating factor.

"What's the best 996 model and year to get"

The Turbo. But then I'm slightly biased. Still, if you ask Mixerman, T8, Cheshire, MisterCorn or someone else, they will probably say that the C2 is the better car ;O)

:welcome:
Don't forget to HPI!!
Also I cant recommend enough to get a Pre Purchase Inspection done before you Buy as it will save you money in the long run. :thumbs:
Good luck with your search .

911_Newbie said:
"What's the best 996 model and year to get"

The Turbo. But then I'm slightly biased. Still, if you ask Mixerman, T8, Cheshire, MisterCorn or someone else, they will probably say that the C2 is the better car ;O)

:eh!:

Sadly, I don't think Rusty's budget would stretch a Turbo. :nooo:

No I do not think the C2 is a better car. The best 996 is a Turbo in Manual.
(GT3 excepted - for those who like a raw bone-shaking drive on country roads). The 996 Turbo is the best choice practical road car there is in the 400bhp league - the blown engine never fails to blow my brains and my mind every time!

That gearbox is awesome with a 997 Short Shift Kit I had fitted. Approach a tight bend in 4th gear at 90mph, brake hard, clutch in, neutral, blip the throttle, clutch in again and shift the stick into 3rd, in slow, see the exit peel off point, press the accelerator revving it up to 5k rpm and snick 4th gear, next corner coming up, repeat. Smile permanently etched into the face.

Shouldn't be need for double de-clutching.

Modern synchromesh gearboxes remove the need for this practice. Yes I know. But once in a while it gives a great thrill with that stick and the blip of the throttle. How many manual drivers say they have not been tempted - and if they don't get the technique, fear not - the synchro mechanism takes care of it all anyway.

Oh, and I used to meddle with big Britsh twin motorcycles when I was younger - the last one being a cafe racer I built on a Triumph pre-unit Bonneville with Dresda clutch, Norton Featherbed fibereglass tank and seat, clip-ons and rear sets. The throttle was always blipped on down shifts for smooth changes - no synchromesh.

Totally agree with blipping to rev match, still can be done without double de-clutching.

Same as for H&T.

Anyways back on topic to the OP.

The best car is whichever you have the budget for as per previous responses.

Also where and how you drive the car will come into play reference Manual v's Tip and same for 2wd v's 4WD(rear biased)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back