Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Almost a Turbo owner....almost....

Andyvvc

Couldn't make this up! The car I am interested in has been to an Indy, had a LOT of faults fixed by the current owner (4x new tyres, that sort of thing). Indy has called me to say the car is kosher and now only has a few minor issues (slight weep from diff, CD player doesn't always play CD on first insertion, front-left dash speaker is not working)

So i popped over with the GF tonight to buy the car.

1 - GF's Mini's gearbox went bang 200 yards from sellers house.... managed to get there but.....
2 - My Barclays bank account (despite twice confirming on the phone my account can do up to 50k transfer online) actually is limited to 10k!

So I've (rather embarrasingly) had to apologise to the current owner and agree to make payment via Barclays Branch tomorrow.... He seemed fine with this and we have signed the V5 so i think it's a done deal :D

Ended up coming home in the Mini - on the back of an RAC truck after waiting for 90 minutes at a local petrol station to be rescued!

On the plus side, we think the gearbox is ok (changes ok still) and that we actually hit a pothole which has wrenched part of the gearbox oil seal off causing a leak.

On the downside, i somehow have to try and sleep tonight....! :eek:

Pretty sure it's £10k limit but you can do it multiple times.

I transferred £140k in one night to the solictor for my house so i know it can be done.

According to Barclays online banking portal (for my account) it's a 10k daily limit. The suggestion was to use the Banking App on my Smartphone to arrange a secure callback to transfer the rest of the amount, but my phone is rooted so the App wont work. This was a moot-point anyway because the 10k transfer i tried to do prior to this was delayed by 48 hours due to suspected fraud......despite calling Barclays to declare that i was going to be making such a transaction online!

Ho hum, off to Branch this morning!

911_Newbie said:
According to Barclays online banking portal (for my account) it's a 10k daily limit. The suggestion was to use the Banking App on my Smartphone to arrange a secure callback to transfer the rest of the amount, but my phone is rooted so the App wont work. This was a moot-point anyway because the 10k transfer i tried to do prior to this was delayed by 48 hours due to suspected fraud......despite calling Barclays to declare that i was going to be making such a transaction online!

Ho hum, off to Branch this morning!

I had exactly the same problem buying my turbo two weeks ago :frustrated: ... HSBC online banking is restricted to 10k per day, most embarrasing as I was sat in the sellers house. Luckily he was/is a good mate, so I got on the phone to HSBC who were very helpful, and split the payment between 3 accounts to make the payment in one night :thumb:

I would ask why you are taking the car with faults still there, unless the price reflects this for you to rectify?

Enjoy anyway, I'm over the moon with mine, even as standard they are a bit of an animal :D

e8_pack said:

I transferred £140k in one night to the solictor for my house so i know it can be done.

Yeah but you keep that much in your glovebox for emergencies !!!! :eh!:

Yeah Barclays suggested splitting payment to me, and also suggested my girlfriend makes part of the payment from her account!

The car has been inspected by Zentrum and has a few 'minor' issues which Mike was keen to stress were 'issues' simply because they have just serviced the car AND also done the inspection for me. ie they are being very picky in locating the 'issues' because they have had days to find them. The rev check shows 190 hits in range 1, and zero in range 2 which i think is quite low (even for a tip?)

The current owner has just had a major service by Mike, plus aircon regas, 4x new N rated Pirellis, brake discs and pads at the front and some other items sorted out. So i'm hopeful that the car will be a decent motor.....the battery and alternator were replaced in 2012 so hopefully i won't get too much hassle from them?! Some rad work and a lot of other parts replaced in 2010-2012 also.

Without the inspection i would be very wary, but Mike and the guys seem very genuine, so i can only hope the car doesn't take a disliking to it's new owner :)

JohnnyDangerous said:
e8_pack said:

Yeah but you keep that much in your glovebox for emergencies !!!! :eh!:

Yes, i think my 'slush fund' will be safer in the glovebox than at Barclays. At least i can transfer that to Zentrum easily enough if i need to in the future :floor:

Pics asap :thumb:

If you have more than £300 in cash and drive a 911 you will be labelled a criminal by the police and anally inspected !!!!!

JohnnyDangerous said:
If you have more than £300 in cash and drive a 911 you will be labelled a criminal by the police and anally inspected !!!!!

so very very true :cop:

JohnnyDangerous said:

... and 2 phones ... :frustrated:

e8_pack said:

I did the exact same thing when buying my house, my turbo and my Audi. There doesn't seem to be any daily limit so long as each payment is below 10k. Maybe that's just Nationwide and Santander?

RWD_cossie_wil said:
Pics asap :thumb:

Yep, picking her up at 6.30pm all being well. Pics will follow.....either on my camera phone, or on the local news: "New 911 Turbo owner is arrested for doing 180mph on the A1". The new owner was quoted as saying "They're a bit quicker than i thought officer" :D

Car picked up. Pics will follow. Second gear on-boost = :eek: That is all :D

The 10k limit is not bank specific, its an attempt to prevent money laundering, least that's what I was told by my bank when I hit that problem.

OP, god luck and enjoy collecting the car, pics soon please :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back