Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fitting a third central X51 radiator to a 997

Red993C4 said:
In fact, Porsche did it at the factory as standard fitment for all Turbos, GT2s and GT3s from the 996 generation onwards.

I think in this instant Lambretta was referring to TT as a Tiptronic, not Twin Turbo.

~ Maxie

Red993C4 said:
GT4 said:
All Carrera Tips run the third centre rad already (not C4S/Anni).

There is no reason the third centre rad can't be fitted to a TT.

In fact, Porsche did it at the factory as standard fitment for all Turbos, GT2s and GT3s from the 996 generation onwards.

Sorry, brain fade.

That whole post is gibberish (particluarly as I was answering as if it were a 996 thread :?).

Should have just left it as "All Tips run the third centre rad already"

I was thinking about the X51 third-rad for MANUALS re: the C4S/Anni comment.

I knew the GT3 and GT2 ran the centre rads (the clue is in the bonnet vent!), but the then got a bit carried away thinking about the larger rads of the Anni/C4S (AKA Turbo) manuals not needing additional centre rad for X51.

I guess it's almost a deliberate "mistake" on Porsche's part.

If a Carrera needs a centre rad if its a Tip (extra cooling requirements), or needs a centre rad if its an X51 (extra cooling requirements), why doesn't an X51 Tip or a Turbo Tip get any extra help?

Does anyone know if the kit mentioned in the OP also fits cars with factory aero kits ? (not GT3)

floatingkiwi said:
Does anyone know if the kit mentioned in the OP also fits cars with factory aero kits ? (not GT3)

Yes it does.

~ Maxie

Well done Maxie - great write up. :thumb:

I'm still loving your new wheels too :D

Cheers Fuchs, very kind!

~ Maxie :)

Great thread guys. Have just ordered my 997.1 kit from opc Wilmslow.
£102. Must be the best bargain they sell!

Will be here next week as not in stock but no rush.
Will do this in the spring with a good condensor clean and some bumper mesh.
Thanks to the OP - the guide looks very useful.

Just bought mine today , still £102. :D
Op first thought it was a pricing error and had to double check :judge:
:)

Very much enjoyed reading the write-up; good job.

Going slightly off topic now. I'm contemplating replacing the centre rad on my TT. Not approached OPC for a price yet but anticipating £300-£400. Is there any chance the rad in this kit may be the same part?

If I do change the rad I'd definitely also take on the mesh modification too. Looks good.

Edit...after a little googling, it seems the 997TT rad is larger. Makes sense.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...tor/31-WATER-Installing_a_Center_Radiator.htm

997 Center Radiator Kit Install Tips, Tricks and Advantages
If you drive your 997 in hot weather, have undergone engine performance upgrades or go to the track occasionally, you should consider installing the complete original-equipment center radiator kit. The GT3, as well as various Tiptronic transmission Carreras, included a center-mounted radiator from the factory but the majority of the remaining cars rely on the two side mounted units. Typically, the center radiator reduces the highest operating temperatures by about 10–20 degrees Fahrenheit after installation. Come take a look!

Just ordered my 3rd Rad kit too and paid the £102 inc VAT too. The old boy at the OPC parts dept went silent for a moment and I could tell something was wrong. He then mentioned that there must be an issue as he's just sold a replacement 3rd rad for an X51 equipped car for more than this entire kit!

Needless to say I paid and it'll be here on Monday. Whether I take on the fitting myself or not is another matter however...

Well I got the kit and, sure enough, it was the £102 as previously mentioned. The parts chap is still scratching his head over that.

I can also advise that, whilst it comes in a rather large box, it does fit easily into the passenger space in the car with the backrest of the passenger seat fully reclined. I could see the staff at the OPC looking out to the carpark fully expecting me to end up unpacking the box but it fitted perfectly into the footwell and over the passenger seat. :thumbs:

Still got my 3rd rad kit sitting in the garage, I must get around to fitting it at some point! lol

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back