Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ridiculous question pondered many times ...

I believe I have cool designer stubble. Other people sometimes mistake it for a beard ...

kevinbuckley70 said:
I believe I have cool designer stubble. Other people sometimes mistake it for a beard ...

964 it is then :thumbs:

The general recommendation here seems to be to buy from an independent dealer. However, there don't seem to be many around Edinburgh. What are peoples experience of buying privately?

Buy private, buy on condition and have it inspected before you part with the readies if that way inclined :thumb:

For 996/997.1 I'd be having a bore inspection at the minimal and then possibly a quick tap over with a Colini stick :wink:

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but it is exactly the same debate that I am having with myself. I`m not new to the forum but it`s been a few years since I have been on here. Having had various 944`s, a 968 and 993`s of various variants and I still have the 968 after 8 years. After selling the 993 I was thinking of a late 996 or early 997 to cover half my daily driver requirements.

The conclusion I have come to is, for peace of mind motoring it has to be a 996 turbo. No bore scoring or IMS issues that are associated with the N/A 996 and 997 engines including the early Boxter/Cayman engines. They are out there for £25k - £26k ish 2003 - 2004 with up to 60k on the clock with good histories. My choice is a tiptronic and they do appear to be better value than the manuals as they generally command less money. For a daily driver which involves some town driving they are perfect.

Dave

That's really interesting. Did you buy privately before? Will you again? What was your experience?

Have you used the fully inclusive maintenance plans I have seen advertised here?

With a 996TT you dont really need a maintenance plan for peace of mind given the engine block design

Is the engine/transmission the highest risk area?

On my Merc. (2001 E320) expensive things fell off with about equal probability. In fact the cheapest part to maintain was the engine/transmission. And I sold it with around 180,000 on the clock.

I have always bought privately and have never had any major issues that I was not aware of at the time of purchase. Generally any issues have always been allowed for at the time of negotiating a deal with the current owner of the car.

My first choice is a 996 4s tip, fantastic car, a lot of car for the money, many nice spec cars around for £20k. Unfortunately, you will never be able to factor into the negotiations with the current owner that there could be an £8k engine rebuild required in 3 months time. It has happened! With cars bought privately and from well respected dealers.

It makes a lot of sense to spend up to £8k extra and buy the turbo, a 996 4s has identical running gear, bodywork and trim to the turbo. The only difference is the engine, gearbox and not forgetting the increased performance.

However, if a 996 4s tip came up for sale with a Hartech rebuild, in arctic silver and blue leather, sports seats, sat nav and cruise, I would look at that first. Or alternatively we all wait a couple of years for the 997 Gen 2 cars to come down in price!

Is the turbo really significantly more reliable?

The problem I have, is that pushes the budget right to (and slightly beyond!) the line. Leaving no contingency.

Looking for something with a recent rebuilt from a reputable workshop sounds like a better strategy. Although I guess that would also push the price up.

If you were buying from an independent dealer, like the one near me in Edinburgh, or someone like Hartech who had just done a rebuild, would you bother to get an independent inspection?

kevinbuckley70 said:
Is the turbo really significantly more reliable?

The problem I have, is that pushes the budget right to (and slightly beyond!) the line. Leaving no contingency.

Looking for something with a recent rebuilt from a reputable workshop sounds like a better strategy. Although I guess that would also push the price up.

Well I brought a turbo after having several non turbo 996s inspected all of which had scoring. Is it more reliable, well the engine is, but the rest is similar and some bits a bit more costly. My experience is after purchase, you need a few grand to sort bits out (I did gearbox service, coffin arms front, bit of paint by the sill guards, machine polish and latterly the indicator assembly was replaced) It adds up but would have likely spent all of that on a non turbo.

As stated above even the good cars will need a few quid spending as you go...I bought mine in may last year and had it serviced and fitted a belt.I put on some front tyres and I also fitted a pair of rads myself and while the PU was off I got that resprayed.
The little bits do add up.

Independent in Edinburgh? Try Kenny Dunn right in the middle. www.kennydunn.co.uk He does not have a large selection but always a few in stock and has dealt with Porsches for many as decade. Even if you don't buy from him, his advice would be useful.

I did not buy my 993 from him but I did buy an RS6 from him 5 years ago which is still going strong (and actually makes my 993 feel pedestrian).

If you do get a 996 or 7 let us know. I can recommend 2 good indies for servicing. Good luck.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back