Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Low Temperature Thermostat Test Results Updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think you were rude, I thought you were unqualified.

GT4 and Carruthers. = :friends: now please. :thumb:

Thank you chaps. As you can see GT4, I have never claimed to be qualified hence I don't advise people, I feel that you fit the same mould.

Of course both the dynamic nature of knowledge and specific to this topic, the impact of the third radiator lead to perhaps reassessing something that Baz has suggested for years to be the reason for the Tip's excess chance of bore scoring.

Currently Hartech suggest the very slightly higher probability of Tip bore scoring (counter intuitive given the slightly different ownership demographic and usage) is down to the higher torque experienced by driving off in gear 2 (a software Tip curiosity).

The Tip and X51 etc centre rad fitment are identically fitted/plumbed coolant systems, and in fact are identical in system circulation when the additional Tip heat exchanger thermostat is shut - ie cold.

Now given the possibility of the standard fitted third centre rad being the actual cause, perhaps this piece of received wisdom needs to be revisited.

Either the centre rad does present significant downsides vis a vis bore scoring during low temp use (and thus the Tip gear selection factor is less or of no relevance) or the extra cooling effects of the centre rad are the factor that is of low or no relevance.

In any case, the best approximation for the downside affect of fitting a third centre rad must be proxied by any negligible excess probability Tip bore scoring vs manual with no centre rad.

carruthers said:
Thank you chaps. As you can see GT4, I have never claimed to be qualified hence I don't advise people, I feel that you fit the same mould.

You seem to have spent every post advising people?

I think we are all waiting on your next pearl of wisdom.

I have an interest in this topic as I have a 3.8 M97. Bore scoring is a real threat / problem with these engines. A serious approach would be appreciated, instead we get a load of self justifying rubbish from GT4 and now insults from him and his cohorts or possibly other alias. Info from Hartech indicates that fitting a third rad can be counter productive, perhaps we should wait until further information, from people who do know what they are talking about, is forthcoming, so that rational decisions can be made.

The way I understood it, Hartech said they will make use of the third rad in their "new solution".

Also, it is only under certain conditions that the third rad could have a negative impact. Having fitted both the third rad and LTT fairly recently, the oil temps, although now running cooler, I still see temperatures over and above where the thermostat opens.

GT4 has helped me in the past, and makes valuable contributions to this forum, and I would feel more comfortable taking advice from him, than listen to a single word from newbie Carruthers - who clearly has a bee in his bonnet.

Surely, the one thing that has been established is that the risk of scoring is greatest when the engine has been heat soaked in traffic and / or town and then had a lot of torque applied. Until Hartech come up with their new solution which may involve a third rad then even with a LTT it has been established that the third rad, in these circumstances is counter productive.
I can see that GT4 is calling in his acolytes but he occasionally should hold up his hands and admit that he has got it wrong and in this instance advise against a third rad for vulnerable engines.

bazhart said:
The original change to the LTT on average lowered the coolant temperature by about 8 degrees.

The introduction of the third radiator made the following differences comparing the figures with and without the third radiator.

When the car was running normal and fast - the temperature difference of the inlet and outlet was relatively small (only raising the temperature at the thrust face of bank 2 between 1.5 and 2 degrees higher than it was before). When the car was stopped with the engine ticking over for 2 minutes - the difference on bank 2 thrust face was increased by 5 degrees (13 degrees higher than with the std thermostat and 2 radiators). When the engine was switched off for2 and then 5 minutes (after a run) the difference was 4 degrees.

The oil temperature was also 1 degree higher when running with the third radiator.

Not such a big deal, as you have already cooled it 8-10 with the LTT.

You are making a mountain out of a molehill - and just found an excuse to continue your attack on GT4.

carruthers said:
I can see that GT4 is calling in his acolytes

Not actually spoken to GT4 about any of this directly, I just wanted to point out that you are in fact just being a twat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back