Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bentley Publishers "993 Carrera Service Manual"

Actually, now the group buy is closed, so I can't be accused of trying to put anyone off, that oil-checking page is rubbish, bordering on negligent.

In order to check the oil, it says

'Run car to warm oil.'

Well that's very kind, but as we all know you have to get it hot enough to open the thermostat.

There is also no mention of being on level ground.

Therefore everyone who follows their expert advice will obtain an incorrect oil reading.

As the oil in an oil-cooled car is quite important, why have they taken so little effort on this critical subject?

Oil change interval is wrong, oil viscosity advice is partial, and wrong if you live in a very hot or very cold climate, and oil-level checking is wrong, and this info remains in place even AFTER an error so basic (i.e. read oil level with the engine off) as to require a revised page.

:dont know:

Stole this from Rennlist (just for you)
Seems like Bentley acknowledge this error and you can download a page to correct it
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscarrera
Is Bentley wrong on page 03-17 "engine oil level, checking" says switch OFF ignition and wait 3 minutes I have always checked oil warm at idle, am I missing something?
Rich

Yes, that's a mistake on our part and wasn't caught in time for the printers. However, we have a revised and corrected page available here:

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/x/1gBWBw

You can download and/or print the PDF of the corrected page 03-17 there and this will be fixed for the next printing of the manual.

Yep I spotted it there just after it was posted :thumb:

As I said above, the revised page is almost as bad!

Mine arrived toady. As others have said thanks for organising and delivery. This forum is such a mine of information that I expect other errors, or at least differences of opinion, will be spotted in time, but I expect there will also be a great deal of useful information.

Many thanks
Michael

Can anyone tell me which carrier is being used?

We have very mixed experiences with them round here, from those who will comfortably leave parcels in the porch or at a neighbouring property to those who will only hand over with a signature, but can only tell you the delivery is between 9 and 5. Absolutely crap for anyone whose life takes them beyond their front door each day... (Yodel = :evil: grrrr)

tim

tim993 said:

Parcelforce.

The decision was taken to use a quality courier.

Packages are still being shipped out, after every shipment, the tracking number is posted.

tim993 said:

We have very mixed experiences with them round here, from those who will comfortably leave parcels in the porch or at a neighbouring property to those who will only hand over with a signature, but can only tell you the delivery is between 9 and 5. Absolutely crap for anyone whose life takes them beyond their front door each day... (Yodel = :evil: grrrr)

tim

Tim I had that problem, I was out when the parcel arrived, but he left a card which I could not read. Made a phone call and found that my parcel was left at a local post office 15 minutes away. I had visions of it being taken back to the main office in Chelmsford or even further. Perhaps I was lucky and it does vary. Another Post code lottery perhaps.
Michael

Second batch of manuals arrived yesterday, unfortunately too late to post.

Posted today so will arrive Monday:

Madasasnake - posted today tracking number KG4559767
mohitos - posted today tracking number KG4559775
Tim993 - posted today tracking number KG4559784
Kat1 - posted today tracking number KG4559798
Armes - posted today tracking number KG4559807
LSDFJ00 - posted today tracking number KG4559815

The courier is Parcelforce........

orangecurry said:
Yep I spotted it there just after it was posted :thumb:

As I said above, the revised page is almost as bad!

Orangecurry, I brought your posts and this thread as a whole to the attention of the lead editor on the 993 project. Here's what he had to say:

"Here is the link to the new tech wiki page:

Revised Engine Oil Level, Checking procedure from repair manual page 03-17 (P998) https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/x/1gBWBw

Thanks for your input. Feel that we have some egg on our face for messing up such a basic task. In haste, it was taken directly from our 996 manual. Not a good excuse and it did get by us.

Please take a look at the updated wiki page and let me know if there is anything else you would like added (or removed).

Thanks again! Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

-Charlie Burke"

Hope this helps and yes, it's absolutely true that we appreciate the feedback. In fact, please pass along any comments on the manual, good or bad. If there's something that we need to get into the next printing, this is a terrific time to get them in.

And for those of you that have already picked up the book, either through the group buy or elsewhere, tremendous thanks. Feel free to review the book on Amazon, we really appreciate that too!

thanks for the confirmation :thumb:

Maurice said:
Orangecurry, I brought your posts and this thread as a whole to the attention of the lead editor on the 993 project. Here's what he had to say:

"Here is the link to the new tech wiki page:

Revised Engine Oil Level, Checking procedure from repair manual page 03-17 (P998) https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/x/1gBWBw

Thanks for your input. Feel that we have some egg on our face for messing up such a basic task. In haste, it was taken directly from our 996 manual. Not a good excuse and it did get by us.

Please take a look at the updated wiki page and let me know if there is anything else you would like added (or removed).

Thanks again! Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

-Charlie Burke"

Hope this helps and yes, it's absolutely true that we appreciate the feedback. In fact, please pass along any comments on the manual, good or bad. If there's something that we need to get into the next printing, this is a terrific time to get them in.

Hi Maurice

thanks for passing on my points - it's great to see a positive response to my critique :D

It's the only page I've seen of course. :D

I may be misunderstanding the revised text, but the temp gauge should be into the central 'third' of the range to be sure that the thermostat is open and so all of the oil is circulating, and not the 'upper third' as the revised page currently says.

See my crude photo below.

The thermostat opens at roughly (car dependent) 8o'clock or the end of the first third/beginning of central third, and if you are watching the oil-temp you will see it drop suddenly by 1 or 2 mm (as the colder oil enters into circulation) and then the temp climbs back up into the 'central' third.

To be picky you should also suggest waiting 30 seconds after the car has stopped moving and left to idle before taking a reading via oil-level gauge or dipstick.

oil-temp-thermo-open.JPG

Very precisely put OC :)

lead editor said:
In haste, it was taken directly from our 996 manual....
WTF :eh!:

lead editor said:
WTF (part 2) :eh!: :eh!:

This is unbelievable, real own goal stuff. You are supposed to be the experts - we are the enthusiasts who rely on you and your knowledge.

I'll stick with Streather, the service manual and the parts catalogue I think.

They can't win. If they ignore the input they are arrogant. If they take on the useful feedback and ask for more they get it in the neck as well.
I think their approach of embracing the input from the enthusiasts is to be commended.

MC

They can win...

1) Disable cut and paste from one manual to another;
2) Apply proper editorial control;
3) Beta test by consulting selected enthusiasts/other experts before asking the final customers to pay, not afterwards.

I know that my comments are harsh. But really, this is not acceptable for a technical publication.

Must do better....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back