Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bonnet Release DIY - for when the battery dies

S2000 said:
Thanks for your reply, I left the key in the door after unllockig, but none of the release buttons would work.

On power-up, did you cycle the central locking (lock/unlock)?

If the car thinks it is still locked, then the buttons are inoperable.

got myself a trickle charger. Great bit of kit!......Apart from when you dont turn the socket on!!!

Im now trying to jump from another car but as i connect the -/neg it sparks then I hear a relay click and nothing happens. No lights, no bonnet open, no horn nothing....

Any ideas?

Thanks

Where are trying to jump to/from?

996 can only be jumped from the engine bay (see your manual)

Im connectiing to the red connector in the drivers footwell. I only want to open the bonnet. But no luck!?

GT4 said:

Do you mean a 996 should only be jumped from the engine bay? Because I've jump-started mine direct to the battery in the past; worked fine and doesn't seem to have done it any harm...? :oops:

on 997 gen 2
the switches dont operate when powered up via the fuse box and door catch
you need to use the button on the key to unlock the front lid

Ive tried the button on the key and nothing....

maybe flat key also?

HoocH said:
Im connectiing to the red connector in the drivers footwell. I only want to open the bonnet. But no luck!?

Is the donor car running? (don't)

Is the key in the 996 ignition? (don't until all connections made)

Connect last cable (negative) to the 996 door latch.

mark pearce said:
on 997 gen 2
the switches dont operate when powered up via the fuse box and door catch
you need to use the button on the key to unlock the front lid

They will if you cycle lock/unlock (but the key method always works - assuming good battery - unless you burnt the fuses/relays or DME out during "jump")

Ant Blain said:
GT4 said:

Do you mean a 996 should only be jumped from the engine bay? Because I've jump-started mine direct to the battery in the past; worked fine and doesn't seem to have done it any harm...? :oops:

Yes.

I now think HoocH just meant energised from an alternative battery (although I would still like to know if the other engine was running etc), whereas I originally thought he meant "jump started".

Anyway, the 996 manual states (in order to protect the recipient car's electronics) that the donor vehicle's alternator level supply should only be connected to the specifically supplied jump start points in the engine bay.

On a 996: ALWAYS use the (+) jump terminal (circled) and the (-) brass bolt holding in the airbox.

0608_ec_23z2000_porsche_996underhood_engine_195.jpg

As the 997 has an enhanced loom, this is neither necessary nor possible (no jump terminal).

Having said that, never connect the battery up with the ignition of the recipient car turned on.

Make sure all "permanent live" circuits, like headlights, indicators, some CD/radios and HVACs are off, and any cigar lighter devices (iPods etc) are unplugged.

Jump-starting a battery can create 300+ volt spikes through the recipient car's systems and this back EMF can destroy equipment. These voltage spikes are caused by the sudden current coming into the recipient car's inductances in the electrical system.

The 996 DME electronics and loom are NOT surge hardened.

Sorted. Thanks for the advise.
The problem was that the donor car was running! I really didnt think it would effect it!?

Once the bonnet was open I then had to start the donor and connect the batteries before the trickle charger would find the battery and start charging. Too low voltage im guessing.

Thanks again :)

For completeness, here is the 997 version (the 997 is just a heavy facelift of the 996):

803-00.gif

As per 996, between front headlamp area/front wheel arch liner.

IMG_1773.jpg

As per PET and photos, release is NOT handed.

997 ver runs from the (absolute) fixed actuator location on the RHS looking at front of car.

ie on LHD it exits on Driver's side, on RHD it exits Passenger's side.

Obviously attempt Red Terminal option first on 997, but other factors (eg actuator failure) can require manual overide.

Had to do this a month ago on a 996.1 lever model, and honestly, without the C3 fuse buddy, the easiest access was via the nearside tail lamp release wire and then attaching jump leads to the positive jump lead terminal and airbox negative bolt.

Stick a pencil under there (to raise lamp unit a fraction) and fish out the metal cable (bend something no scratching into a hook an pull out).

The rear lamp access is actually my preferred route, given all the issues with the front cables (they swap sides dependent on model year and they often get re-sited away from their factory location during headlamp, bumper, rads, suspension works etc)

The rear lamp access requires:

A pencil
A plastic 30 cm ruler or straightened coat hanger will hook fashioned out if the last 1 cm
A torch may assist in spotting where the loop is under the lamp

Poke the pencil (or other soft wedge that won't damage the paintwork or headlamp plastic) between the base of the tail lamp to create a 5+mm gap

Now fish around from right to left with fishing implements as described above, and extract the cable out the side of the lamp.

Takes seconds.

Hence it is now my preferred option.

Energise or jump-start using the engine bay terminals as per the previous instructions.

Bonnet Release

GT4's method via the nearside rear lamp, with chopsticks and straightened wire coat hanger worked in seconds. Battery charging now...1 year old bosch with 5 yr guarantee. I am wondering if putting the hard top on last week left some light on inside or something odd. 996.1 1999 C4 Cab

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back