Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Whale tail dismissal -

carkid

I'm after a 3.2 carrera but most of the ones advertised have the whale tail.

I much prefer the 911 lines without the spoiler.

I've read numerous American threads stating it's easy to get rid of the whale tail-
have any members here gone through with the procedure and what were
the costs involved?
Do you have to get a new engine lid and are they easy to source?

Any info greatly appreciated.

When I was shopping for a 3.2 it was Whale tail or nothing for me!
:)

Why not post up on here and especially on the Impact Bumper forum offering a swap? A lot of people (me) actually want a tail, for me the tail IS the whole 3.2 look, but I accept it looks better without on older cars.

You might find you can then just swap lids. My 993 had a standard engine cover and I bought a complete cover and wing for it, so I can swap at choice should I wish.

IMHO there's more important things to be looking at (rust) than the wing, that's easy to sort after buying the right car, even if it has a wing.

carkid said:
I'm after a 3.2 carrera but most of the ones advertised have the whale tail.

I much prefer the 911 lines without the spoiler.

I've read numerous American threads stating it's easy to get rid of the whale tail-
have any members here gone through with the procedure and what were
the costs involved?
Do you have to get a new engine lid and are they easy to source?

Any info greatly appreciated.

I believe you can easily remove the spoiler, but you have to buy a new flat grill to fill the hole. I love my rear spoiler mainly for its looks but also it's a handy work bench for folding up the targa top!!! 8)

WHALETAIL REMOVAL

I AM WELL DOWN THE ROAD TOWARD MY FIRST 911 SC. I HAVE ALSO ENCOUNTERED THE LACK OF SPOILERLESS COUPES, AND AM ON THE VERGE OF BUYING ONE WITH SPOILER, AND REMOVING IT, AS I WOULD BE EMBARASSED TO BE SEEN DRIVING IT ONCE I HAD GOT IT BACK HOME WHERE PEOPLE KNOW ME ! THE WHALETAIL IS A DODDLE TO REMOVE. THE BIG PROBLEM AS I SEE IT IS FINDING A GRILL TO FILL THE APERTURE THAT IS LEFT. HAS ANYONE FOUND A SUITABLE GRILL FROM ANY SOURCE ? THE ONES ON EBAY ALL SEEM TO COME FROM THE STATES, AND WORK OUT VERY EXPENSIVE WITH SHIPPING.
YOU ALSO HAVE TO BEAR IN MIND THAT IF IT HAS THE REAR SPOILER, IT MIGHT ALSO HAVE THE LOW FRONT END SPOILER, WHICH WILL ALSO NEED TO BE REMOVED, TO BALANCE THINGS OUT.
AND, ALONG WITH THE GRILL PROBLEM, THERE IS ALSO AN ISSUE WITH THE REAR WIPER, IF FITTED.
I'D LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE WHO HAS CARRIED OUT THIS MODIFICATION.
OR ANYONE WHO HAS A BOOT LID THAT THEY DON'T WANT !!!!

Gents,

If I could be so bold as to direct your attention to Kenny Dunn, independent Porsche sales In Edinburgh, he has a rather splendid little 3.2 without Spoiler for sale at the moment. I have seen the car in the flesh, and it is very nice indeed.

Scottuk.

There is no need to remove the front spoiler - you can run front alone, but not the whale tail without the front. They reduce lift, rather than create downforce, and 72-74 cars (except RS) just ran front spoilers. Not as stable as with both but fine nevertheless.
Buy a second hand lid and grill so you can refit original if required. Could not wait to remove mine either.
157489526ae1fb723b1e06b2c20b3357.jpg

drmark said:
There is no need to remove the front spoiler - you can run front alone, but not the whale tail without the front. They reduce lift, rather than create downforce, and 72-74 cars (except RS) just ran front spoilers. Not as stable as with both but fine nevertheless.
Buy a second hand lid and grill so you can refit original if required. Could not wait to remove mine either.
157489526ae1fb723b1e06b2c20b3357.jpg

Bit of galvanised weldmesh over there and you've got the urban outlaw look sorted. Especially in that special non-reflective "anti-glare" finish. :floor: :floor:

:floor:

I liked the primer look so much I decided to strip the rest of the car too..

60f49526bb907cea2ef3cf9f126e21df.jpg

And then I thought I would remove this to lighten the back end even more!

a7d3ba9c2ed925a2c5dfc533ca787ef1.jpg

its easy to remove the spoiler, you then have the task of welding the holes up and filling and painting. the grille is the hard part to source as second hand they are becoming rare. the rear wiper is mounted mainly on the hinge AFAIK and you only have to remove a semi-circle in the grille for the spindle to com through. not a hard task but takes time. Enjoy!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back