Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2013 Race 17 & 18 Silverstone

Porsche News

Silverstone next for Porsche Carrera Cup GB title race

Michael Meadows heads Jonas Gelzinis by just four points
Rory Butcher leads the chase in third
Victor Jimenez close to clinching Pro-Am1 title

Two drivers, four races and four points: those are the numbers for the 2013 Porsche Carrera Cup GB title race as the series heads to Silverstone (28/29 September) for rounds 17 and 18 of the 20-race schedule.

By any measure, it has been a roller-coaster season for defending champion Michael Meadows, who joined the Samsung Smart Motorsport team for 2013. After round eight at Oulton Park, he led the championship by a handy 23 points, but two races later, after a disastrous weekend at Croft, his lead was down to six points.

It was then all level with Jonas Gelzinis after Snetterton, but Meadows rebuilt his lead to 23 points again at Knockhill only to suffer a nightmare time at Rockingham that has left him just four points ahead of Gelzinis as they head into the final four races.

The fact that Meadows has scored seven wins and 12 poles in 16 races shows that his speed is not in doubt. But he has sometimes suffered at the hands of others and the non-finish in the first Rockingham race came after a rare error on a damp track. Gelzinis, meanwhile, has been consistently strong for the Lithuanian-based Juta Racing and is right in contention for the title.

However, this is far from a two-way contest and double Rockingham winner Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) is now third in the points, while Carrera Cup Scholarship racer Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) and Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) are chasing hard. Stoneman will be back on the grid at Silverstone after serving a two-race ban at Rockingham and will be keen to regain the spectacular winning form he demonstrated earlier in the season.

There is a good chance that Spanish racer Victor Jimenez could be confirmed as Pro-Am1 champion after the Silverstone races as he needs to have a 45-point margin over team mate and rival Dan De Zille to be unbeatable in the final weekend of the season at Brands Hatch. Jimenez starts the weekend 60 points clear after a tremendous campaign to date, however the return to the Pro-Am1 entry of Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) adds another dimension to the category contest. Adding further to the Pro-Am1 entry will be championship debutant Steven Brewster, who will race the Celtic Speed car regularly raced by his father George.

Attachments

• silv1_679.jpg
    silv1_679.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 27,177
Carrera Cup GB and GT3 Cup Challenge share at Silverstone

Two joint races for the twin series
BTCC crowd and atmosphere for GT3 Cup racers
Live TV coverage of the second race

The Porsche Carrera Cup GB and the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge will come together at Silverstone this weekend (28/29 September) to deliver a spectacular grid of 911 GT3 Cup cars.

For the penultimate weekend of the Carrera Cup season and the final event of the 2013 GT3 Cup schedule, the twin race series will share two races on Sunday's BTCC programme. After separate qualifying sessions on Saturday afternoon both series will race twice on Sunday from a split grid, with the Carrera Cup cars starting first in the bumper field.

As well as giving the GT3 Cup contenders two races on the weekend's main race day, it will also offer them the chance of live TV coverage during the afternoon's BTCC programme on ITV4. To aid identification, the GT3 Cup Challenge cars will run with yellow screen headers and three-digit race numbers.

Competitors from the two race series will share exclusive pre-event testing at Silverstone on Friday (27 September).

Carrera Cup qualifying will start at 14.05 on Saturday (28 September), while the GT3 Cup session will start at 15.10. The weekend's first Porsche race will start at 10.20 on Sunday (29 September) with the second race at 15.15, which will be broadcast live on ITV4.

Attachments

• silverstonecutout_121.png
    silverstonecutout_121.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 27,176
Meadows tops Carrera Cup GB test at Silverstone

Michael Meadows tops the testing times at Silverstone
Title rival Jonas Gelzinis is second fastest
Victor Jimenez heads Pro-Am1 from Steven Brewster

Michael Meadows got the weekend off to the start he wanted when he headed the testing times in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Silverstone today (Friday 27 September).

Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) headed the top five drivers who all lapped inside the existing lap record of 56.8s. The championship leader set the mark at 56.132s in the afternoon session as warm autumn sunshine settled over Silverstone. However, Meadows' main title rival Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) was close behind and set second best time only a fifth of a second slower.

Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) was a strong third fastest from Daniel Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) as Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) completed the top five. Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) set the Pro-Am1 pace from series newcomer Steven Brewster (Celtic Speed) who showed fine pace despite a spin into the gravel in the afternoon session. Peter Smallwood (Parr Motorsport) ran close to the Pro-Am1 pace as he headed Pro-Am2.

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) fastest overall:
'At least we know we're fast. We found a lot of time on the new tyres and it is quite close between the rest. If I can do a similar job tomorrow that will be two more championship points."

Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) second overall:
'That's OK. But I had a vibration from the start on the new tyres but I decided to go for a time anyway. I'm close to Meadows and that is the most important thing."

Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) fastest in Pro-Am1:
'I'm happy with today, but I did not run with any new tyres. In fact, they were very old. I don't know how it will be tomorrow with new tyres as I don't have a point of reference."

Steven Brewster (Celtic Speed) second fastest in Pro-Am1:
'I was trying hard and then I tried too hard and had a spin into the gravel. There are still a few things to look at but I'm happy enough. I can look at the data with Rory Butcher and learn some more."

Attachments

• silv2_124.jpg
    silv2_124.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 27,175
Birch wins Michelin award in Carrera Cup GB

James Birch is the ninth Porsche Carrera Cup GB racer of the 2013 season to win a set of tyres as part of Michelin's long-standing support of the championship. Birch's name was drawn from a hat ahead of rounds 17 and 18 at Silverstone this weekend (28/29 September).

Birch, the 2012 GT3 Cup Challenge champion, joined the Carrera Cup mid-season to race alongside title leader Michael Meadows in the Samsung Smart Motorsport team and has made strong progress as he has adapted to the new challenge.

Having been the control tyre supplier for the Carrera Cup GB since the championship was created in 2003, Michelin is once more supporting the teams and drivers with the award of a complete set of slick racing tyres at each event. Before the start of testing at each race weekend, a name is drawn from a hat to receive the tyres, with a value of more than £1200.

Attachments

• silv3_137.jpg
    silv3_137.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 27,149
Meadows takes double Carrera Cup GB pole at Silverstone

Michael Meadows sets the pace at Silverstone
Dan Lloyd and Dean Stoneman share second places
Victor Jimenez and Dan De Zille each take a Pro-Am1 pole

Michael Meadows was in control during qualifying for the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Silverstone today (Saturday 28 September), taking pole position for both races to increase his championship lead to six points.

While Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) set a fierce pace, dipping to a best of 56.268s on his second set of tyres, Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) was the major rival to the championship leader but will drop to seventh on the grid for the opening race due to a grid penalty incurred at Knockhill. However, he retains second on the grid for round 18.

Stoneman's penalty will elevate Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) to second for the opening race from Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing), while they will switch places for round 18 when Gelzinis will start third and Lloyd fourth. Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) was next up before the leading Pro-Am1 racers as Victor Jimenez and Dan De Zille from Redline Racing each took a category pole. Peter Smallwood (Parr Motorsport) headed Pro-Am2 on his return to the championship.

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) fastest overall:
'Two poles and another two points is good for the championship. I thought it was better to go out again and do a better lap time than not use the second set of tyres. It's now a two-weekend shoot-out for the title and Jonas is up there as well. I'm sure we'll get two good results for the championship and I want to leave here with a bigger gap in the points."

Daniel Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) second and fourth:
'That was okay. We were struggling yesterday and we struggled again on the first set of tyres, so we had to pull it out with the second set. We worked really hard on the car overnight, but Michael has got some very good pace."

Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) fourth and third:
'The car is consistent but not quick enough. I need to find a bit more pace for the races tomorrow."

Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) second and first in Pro-Am1:
'I missed testing yesterday, but I'd done so much round here that it was okay. Victor just pipped me on the grid for the first race, but I got the Pro-Am1 pole for the second race."

Round 17 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows 56.268s; 2 Dan Lloyd 56.560s; 3 Jonas Gelzinis 56.574s.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Victor Jimenez 56.976s; 2 Dan De Zille 57.040s; 3 Steven Brewster 57.592s.

Round 18 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows 56.433s; 2 Dean Stoneman 56.545s; 3 Jonas Gelzinis 56.575s.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Dan De Zille 57.140s; 2 Victor Jimenez 57.245s; 3 Steven Brewster 57.782s.

Attachments

• silv4_166.jpg
    silv4_166.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 27,147
Meadows takes Carrera Cup GB round 17 at Silverstone

Michael Meadows takes important victory to extend title lead
Dan Lloyd beats Rory Butcher in race for second
Dan De Zille heads Pro-Am1 from Victor Jimenez

Michael Meadows took an important victory in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Silverstone in an excellent round 17 today (Sunday 29 September) as battles raged in his wake.

While Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) worked ahead of early leader Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing), there was a mighty battle for third place as Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing), Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) and Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) fought tooth and nail.

Up front, Meadows was able to steadily build his lead and score an emphatic victory to extend his points' lead with three races still to run. However, behind the leader, the result was far from settled. Butcher finally battled ahead of Stoneman after an absorbing contest and then set about hunting down Lloyd. Into the final corner, Butcher got half a gap on the inside of Lloyd and they ran side-by-side to the line with Lloyd hanging on by two-hundredths of a second.

Stoneman slipped back a little in fourth after a gritty challenge while Gelzinis took fifth as Pro-Am1 winner Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) chased him to the line. Victor Jimenez dropped back to take second in Pro-Am1 for Redline Racing after being slowed by a gearbox problem.

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) first overall:
'That feels good: it's a really good result. The pace at the start wasn't that great but the car was fantastic just when I needed it. I'm really happy with another win and good championship points."

Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) second overall:
'Michael had the edge, but I did what I could. He got a run on me out of Becketts and down to Brooklands. On the last lap, Rory got up the inside into Luffield and it was so hard to hold him off on the race to the line."

Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) third overall:
'I made a stupid mistake on lap one and lost a place to Dean. He did a good job of defending and I should have got back past Dean sooner. Then I almost got Dan on the line but he did a good job of holding me off."

Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) first in Pro-Am1:
'I got another good start and then Dean Stoneman went round the outside of me at Copse on the first lap. Then I just got my head down: it was good to be attacking rather than defending."

Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) second in Pro-Am1:
'I had back luck with a gearbox problem and only had fourth and fifth gears. The most important thing was to finish and get more points for the championship."

Round 17 result:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows; 2 Daniel Lloyd; 3 Rory Butcher.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Dan De Zille; 2 Victor Jimenez; 3 Steven Brewster.

Attachments

• silv6_571.jpg
    silv6_571.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 27,125
  • silv5_120.jpg
    silv5_120.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 27,120
Stoneman wins Carrera Cup GB round 18 at Silverstone

Dean Stoneman takes lights to flag victory
Michael Meadows claims second to extend championship lead
Victor Jimenez seals Pro-Am1 title with another win

Dean Stoneman was the star of round 18 of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Silverstone today (Sunday 29 September) with a commanding lights to flag victory. Meanwhile, Victor Jimenez secured the Pro-Am1 title after a fine campaign.

Stoneman (Redline Racing) got a great start to leap ahead of poleman Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) and settled into a lead that he would never lose. Though Meadows closed right up mid-race, he had the overall title race uppermost in his mind and was not going to take any big risks in trying to get past Stoneman.

While Meadows shadowed Stoneman, Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) and Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) were always well in contention and only just over two seconds covered the top four after 28 laps.

Jimenez (Redline Racing) found his Pro-Am1 task made easier when rival and team mate Dan De Zille failed to start after a driveshaft breakage on the parade lap. Jimenez then raced hard with Pro driver James Birch (Samsung Smart Motorsport) on his way to Pro-Am1 victory from Steven Brewster (Celtic Speed). Peter Smallwood (Parr Motorsport) again took the Pro-Am2 victory.

Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) first overall:
'I'm pleased to come here and do a good job. I've cracked the start in these cars and I knew Michael wasn't going to take any risks. The car was good and I had strong pace all the way through."

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) second overall:
'Dean's had good starts this season and I knew if he got me off the line it would be difficult. I didn't want to pressure him too much and back us up into the pack. Dean's not my concern in terms of the championship."

Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) third overall:
'Everyone was driving at the same pace and it was difficult to find even one tenth of a second. But I could see Butcher getting closer and closer in the mirrors."

Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) Pro-Am1 winner:
'It is fantastic to win Pro-Am1! I was pushing 100 per cent and it was very nice to race with James Birch."

Steven Brewster (Celtic Speed) second in Pro-Am1:
'I had a good battle with Peter Smallwood. I did enjoy the weekend and I learnt a lot. I'd love to come back and do some more."

Round 18 result:
Pro category: 1 Dean Stoneman; 2 Michael Meadows; 3 Jonas Gelzinis.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Victor Jimenez; 2 Steven Brewster.

Attachments

• silv7_151.jpg
    silv7_151.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 27,122
Pete Smallwood took the ProAm2 win in both races, together with the category championship for 2013. These were his first races in the UK since emigrating to Canada earlier this year. Over the weekend he also announced that he will be racing in the Le Mans 24hr support race next year in his 997 Cup on 14 June 2014.

spyderman said:
Pete Smallwood took the ProAm2 win in both races, together with the category championship for 2013.

This guy in ProAm2 is a joke and Porsche really need to sort this category out, he turns up wins his class as there is no other competition and as a result goes onto to win the title. This makes a mockery of all the hard work done by his race team PARR Motorsport and the rest of the field that are racing.

Pics from race day.

PCCGB13-01.jpg

PCCGB13-02.jpg

PCCGB13-03.jpg

PCCGB13-04.jpg

PCCGB13-05.jpg

PCCGB13-06.jpg

PCCGB13-07.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members