Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 28
997 : 2004- 63
996 : 1997-2005 32
993 : 1993-1998 3
964 : 1989-1993 0
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 3
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 23
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 7
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 0
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Maurice [B]
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Bentley Publishers "993 Carrera Service Manual" Reply with quote

911UK wrote:
Group Buy Update

Each copy will cost £112.50 delivered to your door.

It is difficult to compete with the buying power of Amazon but this is a great deal from Bentley Publishing.

Bentley Publishing have an order ready to ship and ColinC Thumb has kindly volunteered to manage the delivery posting and package, which we will be doing via Parcelforce.

We found a few options for UK shipping but felt that the cheapest options wasn't the best option. All shipments are tracked and insured.

For this to happen we need money from you fine 993 Owners, as soon as possible and no later than next Tuesday 19th Nov, so an order can be shipped across and delivered out in that week.

Payment

Ensure that you state the following.

1. Forum Name
2. Real Name
3. Address

PAYPAL : £112.50 to admin@911uk.com
CHEQUE : Please PM for details.
BANK TRANSFER : Please PM for Details

Hello, I'm the sales & marketing manager for Bentley Publishers.

I figured I'd quit lurking about to say that we have a 993 manual that will be out this November.

We have a lot more information on the manual on our website here:

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=p998

However, if anyone has any questions about what's in the book, feel free to post them here and I'll do my best to try & answer them.

911UK wrote:
The current rate of Duty and VAT on Hardbound Books is 0%.

As confirmed by HMRC
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/downloadFile?contentID=HMCE_CL_000102

Quote:
The Porsche 911 Carrera (Type 993) Service Manual: 1995-1998

946 pages with 1523 photos, illustrations and diagrams, in Hard Back format due for Worldwide released on 4 November 2013.

Is a comprehensive source of service information and specifications for Porsche 911 (Type 993) Coupe, Cabriolet and Targa models from 1995 to 1998. The aim throughout this manual has been simplicity and clarity, with practical explanations, step-by-step procedures and useful specifications. Whether you're a professional technician or a do-it-yourself Porsche owner, this manual will help you understand, care for and repair your Porsche.

Although the do-it-yourself Porsche owner will find this manual indispensable as a source of detailed maintenance and repair information, the Porsche owner who has no intention of working on his or her car will find that reading and owning this manual makes it possible to discuss repairs more intelligently with a professional technician.

1995-1998 Porsche 911 models covered:
Carrera
Carrera S
Carrera 4
Carrera 4S

Engines covered:
1995: 3.6 litre (M64.07 and M64.0Cool
1996-1998: 3.6 litre (OBD II M64.23 and M64.24)

Transmissions covered:
G50 (6-speed manual, RWD)
G64 (6-speed manual, AWD)
A50 (4-speed automatic)

Technical highlights:
Full-color repair manual pages (black and white electrical section).

In-depth maintenance instructions for everything from changing the engine oil (and both oil filters) and Tiptronic transmission fluid to replacing the cabin microfilter. This manual tells you how and when to do it.

Type 993 enthusiast guide with year-to-year model specifics, and a comprehensive listing of Porsche option codes.

Step-by-step engine / transmission assembly removal and installation.

Illustrated engine teardown and rebuild, with camshaft and timing chain replacement, detailing wear limits and nominal values.

Fuel injection and ignition system service and component testing of different Bosch DME engine management systems, including the secondary air injection (SAI) system.

Clutch, flywheel and rear main seal service.

Front and rear drivetrain service, including front (C4) and rear differential service.

Brakes, steering, suspension and ABS maintenance, troubleshooting and repair for both vacuum boost (C2) and hydraulic-boost (C4) brake systems.

Heating and air-conditioning repair, including A/C component replacement.

Body adjustments and repairs, including convertible top, sunroof and targa top service and adjustment.

Electrical system service, with an easy-to-use illustrated component location section.

Wiring schematics for selected models, with DME systems, power distribution, grounds, convertible top and other hard-to-find circuits.

ColinC
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a discount for a group buy......

Endoman
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice [B] wrote:
Hello, I'm the sales & marketing manager for Bentley Publishers. Apologies for resurrecting a long-dormant thread but I figured I'd quit lurking about to say that we have a 993 manual that will be out this November.

We have a lot more information on the manual on our website here: http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=p998 However, if anyone has any questions about what's in the book, feel free to post them here and I'll do my best to try & answer them.

Ordered thumbsup What a nice stocking filler.

stuttgartmetal
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

download a pdf manual for free

Pickled Piper
Suzuka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Bentley Manual Announced for 993 Reply with quote

Used to have one of these for my BMW. Very comprehensive and well written.

This is going on my birthday wish list

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/porsche/repair-information/porsche-911-993-1995-through-1998-repair-information.html[/url]

ColinC
Suzuka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spoken to Maurice Iglesias of Bentley about a group discount. They will give us 40% off list price and can post 10 copies to the UK for 120 dollars.

By using my fingers and toes I reckon that's about 150 dollars plus postage from my house to your house. I said if we get 10 people interested they can send them to mine and I will distribute, with the individuals covering postage obviously.

Let me know if your interested............not as exciting as a rolling road session but should be a good read!

Dream911
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how what additional or better stuff is likely to be in the book over and above the official and freely downloadable 993 workshop manuals?

Pickled Piper
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream911 wrote:
Does anyone know how what additional or better stuff is likely to be in the book over and above the official and freely downloadable 993 workshop manuals?

The free manual is intended for Porsche workshop technicians, so assumes a high level of proficiency in the user. It's mainly line drawings and diagrams and does not go into detail about each of the processes.

Have a look at the link for the Bentley manual, it contains colour photographs, and if it is anything like the BMW manual I had, it gives details descriptions.

pp

Pickled Piper
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinC wrote:
I have spoken to Maurice Iglesias of Bentley about a group discount. They will give us 40% off list price and can post 10 copies to the UK for 120 dollars.

By using my fingers and toes I reckon that's about 150 dollars plus postage from my house to your house. I said if we get 10 people interested they can send them to mine and I will distribute, with the individuals covering postage obviously.

Let me know if your interested............not as exciting as a rolling road session but should be a good read!

Colinc,

How does the discount work? They are priced at $149 on the website.

pp

ColinC
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That price doesn't include postage, so basically discount covers postage from the states.

Will confirm the 40% discount is from list price and not website discounted price but reckon its from list price......

wozy
Österreich

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very important question that needs to be asked. Is it in English ?

By that I mean the worlds English or that damn American version where they believe that's the worlds English.

I'm lost without a 'u' in colour for example, and what the hell is a wrench?

Just don't get me on to aluminium Smile

Maurice [B]
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wozy wrote:
The very important question that needs to be asked. Is it in English ?

By that I mean the worlds English or that damn American version where they believe that's the worlds English.

I'm lost without a 'u' in colour for example, and what the hell is a wrench?

Well, we are writing our manuals in the US so yes, we're using "American English." However, I've been led to believe over the years that it's not too dissimilar to British English...hopefully you'll agree. Cool

jonttt
Long Beach

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice the book is out in the USA on the 4th November with pre order discounts. Any similar deals for the uk from uk distributors ?
2017 BMW 740 Msport
2017 RR Evoque Autobiography

Goose
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wozy wrote:

Hasn't that only got one "i" Dont know

Maurice [B]
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonttt wrote:
Maurice the book is out in the USA on the 4th November with pre order discounts. Any similar deals for the uk from uk distributors ?

Not that I'm aware of, sorry. However we do ship internationally so if you place your order with us, although you'll get hit on the shipping charges you'll still be able get the pre-order price. If you send me a PM with your shipping address, I can get a shipping cost quote for you.

jonttt
Long Beach

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice I'm afraid that the way we get charged for import duties, additional postage handling and VAT (if applicable on this product?) plus my credit card companies extortionate charges for a foreign transaction on top of shipping from the USA will make it cost prohibitive.

I'll have to wait until it is available from the UK as its not a necessity for me just a nice to have.

Ps worth making clear to the UK that as with other Bentley books I have used in the past (which are great) that this I presume will be based on US spec cars which will be slightly different and I don't think includes the Turbo models at all ?

I am not sure of the differences in 993 between UK spec and USA but with other cars I have form this era it can be some surprising areas including brake systems etc.... due to differences in either emissions control or litigation (eg BMW "floating" disks where not used in the USA at this time).

I have known people buy your books in the UK and without them being aware their engine was not avaible in the USA so not covered in the book Wink

I don't know if Bentley are aware of any material differences that they can make potential buyers aware of ?
2017 BMW 740 Msport

Maurice [B]
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonttt wrote:
Maurice I'm afraid that the way we get charged for import duties, additional postage handling and VAT (if applicable on this product?) plus my credit card companies extortionate charges for a foreign transaction on top of shipping from the USA will make it cost prohibitive.

I'll have to wait until it is available from the UK as its not a necessity for me just a nice to have.

Ps worth making clear to the UK that as with other Bentley books I have used in the past (which are great) that this I presume will be based on US spec cars which will be slightly different and I don't think includes the Turbo models at all ?

I am not sure of the differences in 993 between UK spec and USA but with other cars I have form this era it can be some surprising areas including brake systems etc.... due to differences in either emissions control or litigation (eg BMW "floating" disks where not used in the USA at this time).

I have known people buy your books in the UK and without them being aware their engine was not avaible in the USA so not covered in the book Wink

I don't know if Bentley are aware of any material differences that they can make potential buyers aware of ?

Hello jonttt!

Let me check and get back to you.

jonttt
Long Beach

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be cool, thanks Maurice Thumb
2017 BMW 740 Msport

911UK
Porsche Community
Porsche Community

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonttt wrote:

Jontt, there are no material differences whatsoever in a US to UK spec 993, for examples cars that are imported back to Europe for sale back into the lucrative LHD market require minimal modification and a few cosmetic updates.

There are some differences in US to UK spec cars but these relate to less than 0.01% of the car. Clearly the manual is based on 993's sold in the USofA but this is not an issue.

As stated it's a 993 Carrera Service Manual so therefore does not include the Turbo Model. Comparing to other marques isn't appropriate since Porsche is very unique since what you get in Germany, Japan, UK and USA is the same.

This and all other Bentley service manual's are mammoth undertakings, that put together almost 2000 pages that cover every inch of a 993.

The level of detail that Bentley Publishing go into, has to be seen and for the price quoted it is a bargain.

thumbsup

As for the postage issue and VAT issue, the information you have is incorrect.

The current rate of Duty and VAT on Hardbound Books is 0%.

As confirmed by HMRC
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/downloadFile?contentID=HMCE_CL_000102

Thumb Thumb

FOLLOW 911UK ON TWITTER

Last edited by 911UK on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total

jonttt
Long Beach

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats ggod to know re specification differences. I assume the differences are cosmetic then eg bumper fittings.

Good news about £0 import duty and VAT so that just leaves:

- import handling cost in the UK ?
- credit card currency fee
2017 BMW 740 Msport

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: