Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2013 Race 13 & 14 Knockhill

Porsche News

Porsche Carrera Cup GB heads to Scotland

Michael Meadows and Jonas Gelzinis level on points
Dean Stoneman leads the chase in third
Victor Jimenez tops Pro-Am1 pack

It could not be closer in the 2013 Porsche Carrera Cup GB as the teams and drivers head north to Scotland for rounds 13 and 14 at the fabulous Knockhill track (24/25 August). The top two drivers are absolutely level at the head of the points in the mighty 450bhp 911 GT3 Cup cars.

Knockhill will be a big weekend in the battle for the 2013 title as Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) and Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) head to Scotland all square at the top of the points.

Following rounds 11 and 12 at Snetterton earlier in August, the two key players are tied with eight races to run. However, back in mid-June Meadows had a healthy 23-point lead. A series of dramas, largely not of Michael's making, has allowed Gelzinis to erode that margin and Knockhill is traditionally a track that throws up surprises and dramas, so there is everything to play for.

However, this is far from a two-way contest. Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) is close enough in third to capitalise should either of the top two falter, while Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) is the local ace and is overdue a first win of 2013. Rory was in strong form last time out at Snetterton and would love nothing more than to win on the track owned by his family. Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) completes the championship big five and the Carrera Cup Scholarship racer is another driver due a turn in fortune. James Birch, team mate to Meadows in the Samsung squad, completes the Pro category and is getting quicker and quicker as his experience grows.

In Pro-Am1, Spanish racer Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) is having a superb season and is now over 60 points clear in the title race. However, he is racing very hard to fend off team mate Dan De Zille who has got quicker and quicker across the season. Dan may have to miss Friday's testing due to a new job and could have to jump straight into qualifying. Adding further quality to the Pro-Am1 category is Edinburgh's George Brewster (Celtic Speed), who will be aiming to make it two Scots on the podium.

Attachments

• snett0_944.jpg
    snett0_944.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 15,736
Meadows tops Carrera Cup GB test at Knockhill

Michael Meadows tops the testing times at Knockhill
Rory Butcher is second fastest from Dean Stoneman
George Brewster tops Pro-Am1 from Victor Jimenez

Michael Meadows headed the times in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Knockhill during testing today (Friday 23 August) as rain affected the afternoon session. Rory Butcher and Dean Stoneman led the chase of Meadows while George Brewster made it a good day for the Scots by topping Pro-Am1.

A dry morning session allowed Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) to set the standard for the day when he was the only leading driver to use new tyres in the first test session. His best lap of 50.588s was fractionally quicker than the 2012 pole time of 50.597s set by Ben Barker to establish the fastest Carrera Cup lap at Knockhill.

Circuit expert Butcher (Celtic Speed) was second fastest, while Stoneman (Redline Racing) was only marginally slower ahead of his first race at the Scottish track. Daniel Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) was right on the pace of Butcher and Stoneman, while join championship leader Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) was fifth from James Birch (Samsung Smart Motorsport).

In Pro-Am1, Brewster (Celtic Speed) set a fine standard to edge category leader Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) back to second. While pushing for a good lap late in the second session, as the track started to dry again, Jimenez slid off into the gravel at the hairpin. Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) missed testing due to work commitments, and will go straight into qualifying on Saturday.

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) fastest overall:
'We took new tyres in the morning session and I think we caught everyone out there. We're quicker than last year's pole time and that's the best official Carrera Cup lap here."

Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) second overall:
'It's all good and I'm happy with the pace on older tyres. In the second session I was on a warm-up lap on new tyres when the rain started."

Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) third overall:
'That's not too bad and still on old tyres. This is the first time I've been here, in fact it's the furthest north I've ever been! It's a good little track."

George Brewster (Celtic Speed) first in Pro-Am1:
'I didn't use new tyres today. We made one or two changes to the car for the afternoon session and have got a fairly neutral car, which is what you want round here. We made an early decision to end the second session when the rain started."

Attachments

• knoc1_196.jpg
    knoc1_196.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 15,734
Brewster wins Michelin award in Carrera Cup GB

George Brewster is the seventh Porsche Carrera Cup GB racer of the 2013 season to win a set of tyres as part of Michelin's long-standing support of the championship. Brewster's name was drawn from a hat ahead of rounds 13 and 14 at Knockhill this weekend (24/25 August).

The Edinburgh-based surveyor has been a regular Carrera Cup contender across the last five seasons, winning the Pro-Am2 title in 2011. This season he is contesting selected events, once again with the Celtic Speed team, and is a leading runner in Pro-Am1.

Having been the control tyre supplier for the Carrera Cup GB since the championship was created in 2003, Michelin is once more supporting the teams and drivers with the award of a complete set of slick racing tyres at each event. Before the start of testing at each race weekend, a name is drawn from a hat to receive the tyres, with a value of more than £1200.

Attachments

• knoc2_202.jpg
    knoc2_202.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 15,731
Meadows tops Carrera Cup GB qualifying at Knockhill

Michael Meadows takes two pole positions in style
Rory Butcher is second fastest from Dean Stoneman
Victor Jimenez tops Pro-Am1 from Dan De Zille

Michael Meadows set a searing pace in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Knockhill during qualifying today (Saturday 24 August) as he stormed to a double pole position with the fastest Carrera Cup laps ever recorded at the Scottish track.

However, in a supremely competitive qualifying session, Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) was always under attack and it was local hero Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) who bagged second place on both grids, with a best lap only 12-hundredths of a second slower than Meadows. Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) made an impressive Knockhill debut to take third for both races, matching Butcher on second best times for the second grid.

In a session interrupted by a red flag, after Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) spun into the gravel, Meadows really attacked the pace on his second set of tyres to grab pole for round 13 with a mighty best of 50.445s. He duly took his 2013 tally to 12 poles from 14 rounds.

Less than a third of a second covered the next four cars in an incredibly hard-fought session, with Butcher and Stoneman chased by Lloyd and Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing). In Pro-Am1, Victor Jimenez set the pace from his Redline Racing team mate Dan De Zille and George Brewster (Celtic Speed).

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) fastest overall:
'That's great pace and I'm really happy with our overall speed. Now I need two good starts for the races as it is tough to overtake here. I've always had good races with Rory."

'I finally got a couple of good laps in at the end of the session. I knew I had it in the car, but I didn't think we'd do it so late in the session. I'm happy with that at my home track and it's the fastest I've ever gone here. Now I just want to get a good start."

'It's a different sort of track and we've gone pretty well so far. We tried some different things on the second set of tyres."

Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) first in Pro-Am1:
'Today was much better and I was pushing 100% on the second set of tyres. I'm in front of one of the Pro drivers and that is very important to me."

Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) second in Pro-Am1:
'After missing testing yesterday, I'm happy with qualifying. I'm half a second off Victor in Pro-Am1 and that's the target. That was the first time I've driven the car here and I'm in the hunt. This is one of my favourite tracks."

Round 13 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows 50.445s; 2 Rory Butcher 50.573s; 3 Dean Stoneman 50.704s.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Victor Jimenez 51.378s; 2 Dan De Zille 51.839s; 3 George Brewster 52.135s

Round 14 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows 50.557s; 2 Rory Butcher 50.722s; 3 Dean Stoneman 50.722s.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Victor Jimenez 51.568s; 2 Dan De Zille 52.068s; 3 George Brewster 52.205s.

Attachments

• knoc3_396.jpg
    knoc3_396.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 15,728
Meadows wins Carrera Cup GB round 13 at Knockhill

Michael Meadows takes commanding victory
Rory Butcher is second from Dan Lloyd
Dan De Zille takes Pro-Am1 win from George Brewster

Michael Meadows scored a resounding victory in round 13 of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Knockhill today (Sunday 25 August) to take control at the head of the championship. While Rory Butcher and Dan Lloyd chased Meadows home, Dan De Zille battled hard to win Pro-Am1.

Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) got the start he needed to head the pack into the first corner as Butcher (Celtic Speed) had to fend off the fast-starting Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing). A little further back, the Pro-Am1 battle started immediately, with Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) and team mate De Zille running neck-and-neck with George Brewster (Celtic Speed).

However, Jimenez was out on the second lap when a rear puncture pitched his car into a spin and into the gravel at the chicane and the safety car was deployed while his car was moved. Meanwhile, Stoneman dropped out of third place when he ran wide at the chicane and toured back to the pits with a puncture.

After the safety car period, Meadows took control at the front and edged clear of Butcher as Lloyd and Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) filled the next three places. Meanwhile, De Zille raced hard to win Pro-Am1 as Brewster dropped away with a flat-spotted tyre. James Birch (Samsung Smart Motorsport) finished the race challenging De Zille after losing time running wide at the chicane.

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) overall winner:
'That's perfect: it could not have gone any better. The safety car was good for me as it interrupted Rory's momentum a bit more than mine. Before the safety car I was getting pressure from him. I even got a decent start this time."

'I'm happy to be on the podium, but Michael had a huge gap. I didn't seem to have the grip I had in qualifying. Stoneman gave me a bit of pressure into turn one from the start. That's good points on my home track."

Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) third overall:
'I was catching Rory at one point but then I made a little mistake. He was putting in consistent laps. But it's good to get a podium."

Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) first in Pro-Am1:
'That was hard work! George had the legs on me on the brakes. But then I saw James Birch coming up on us and that helped keep George occupied. Later on I managed to keep James behind. I wasn't expecting that and I've pulled back a few points."

George Brewster (Celtic Speed) second in Pro-Am1:
'I went for the move on Dan too early and locked up into the Hairpin. I should have sat behind and hassled him for a bit longer, but I thought I'd got a move. Then I'd got a flat-spotted tyre and I had to ease back the pace."

Round 13 results:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows; 2 Rory Butcher; 3 Daniel Lloyd.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Dan De Zille; 2 George Brewster.

Attachments

• knoc4_150.jpg
    knoc4_150.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 15,726
Meadows does Carrera Cup GB double at Knockhill

Michael Meadows makes it a perfect weekend
Dan Lloyd is second from Dean Stoneman
Dan De Zille heads Pro-Am1 from George Brewster

Michael Meadows completed a dominant weekend in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB with victory today (Sunday 25 August) in round 14 at Knockhill. While Meadows led from the front, Dan Lloyd fended off a determined challenge from Dean Stoneman to take second and Dan De Zille drove a storming race to win Pro-Am1.

Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) headed the field away as Stoneman (Redline Racing) got another strong start and disputed ground with Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) into the first corner. The cars touched and Butcher ran wide across the grass in a moment that damaged his bumper and led to a pit stop for repairs.

Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) dived through to second and challenged Meadows for several laps before Stoneman came back into contention to attack Lloyd. That allowed Meadows to edge clear for an emphatic victory as Lloyd fended off Stoneman for second. Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) ran fourth initially, but flat-spotted a front tyre and had to pit for a change of wheel before salvaging ninth, having lost a lot of ground to Meadows in the overall title battle. Up into a good fourth place went James Birch (Samsung Smart Motorsport).

Pro-Am1 delivered an absorbing battle as Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) held off his team mate De Zille and George Brewster (Celtic Speed) in a tight contest. However De Zille's constant pressure finally reaped rewards with five laps to go when De Zille dived ahead at the hairpin as Jimenez ran wide. Brewster saw his chance and followed De Zille through to edge Jimenez back to third.

De Zille earned the 'driver of the weekend' award for his double win in Pro-Am1, while Redline Racing earned the Drift Ghost 'team of the weekend' award.

The results of round 14 remain provisional.

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) overall winner:
'It's great to have dominated the weekend. There was a bit of pressure from Dan in the first few laps. It has taken a while to put a weekend like this together and this is a massive step for me in championship terms. I never wanted to let up in that race and I was working very hard."

Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) second overall:
'That's mega. I'm really pleased with the result. We've struggled a bit this weekend, so it's great to get a second and a third. Dean was pushing me massively over the second half of the race."

'The first corner was tight, but I had the better start. We changed the set-up of the car for the second race and it helped mid-race but then I struggled and the rear tyres suffered later in the race."

Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) first in Pro-Am1:
'That was a perfect race. I just drove my own race and it came to me. I struggled at the hairpin in the first race, but worked something out over lunch and was able to pass Victor there and take the lead."

George Brewster (Celtic Speed) second in Pro-Am1:
'I didn't have a great start and then I just held back a little. I settled in to a nice race, but missed a gear at turn three and had to work to close back up to them again. Just as I caught them, Victor outbraked himself at the hairpin and went in too deep and I was able to follow Dan through into second."

Round 14 results:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows; 2 Daniel Lloyd; 3 Dean Stoneman.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Dan De Zille; 2 George Brewster; 3 Victor Jimenez.

Attachments

• knoc5_124.jpg
    knoc5_124.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 15,724

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back