Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2013 Race 11 & 12 Snetterton

Porsche News

Porsche Carrera Cup GB resumes at Snetterton

Michael Meadows heads the title race into second half of season
Jonas Gelzinis is just six points behind Meadows
Victor Jimenez tops Pro-Am1 pack

After a six-week summer break, the 2013 Porsche Carrera Cup GB roars back into action at Snetterton (3/4 August) for the start of a busy late summer run in to the title. Right now, two drivers are edging clear at the head of the points in the mighty 450bhp 911 GT3 Cup cars.

It has been an up and down season for Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport). Resounding wins at Donington Park (twice), Thruxton and Oulton Park (twice) show why he remains the favourite for the title, but the defending champion has had six weeks to reflect on a torrid weekend last time out at Croft. In one weekend, his former 23-point lead was slashed to just six after he was eliminated in a first-lap clash. Dean Stoneman was later excluded over the incident that claimed four other cars as well, but victory for Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) left the hard-charging Lithuanian racer just six points down on Meadows.

Both Meadows and Gelzinis will be determined to start the second half of the season on top, so this is a very important weekend as the title race starts the homeward run. The title will be decided across 10 races over 10 weeks at Snetterton, Knockhill, Rockingham, Silverstone and Brands Hatch.

However, this is far from being just a two-way contest, with Stoneman (Redline Racing) and Carrera Cup Scholarship racer Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) still within reach of the championship leaders. Both have the pace to win again, while Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) is the fifth of the potential race winners and deserves a change in fortune. Alongside Meadows in the Samsung squad is James Birch, and he is quickly getting up to speed after joining the championship at Oulton Park.

In Pro-Am1, Spanish racer Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) is having a superb season to build a commanding lead, but his team mate Dan De Zille is chasing very hard and they have enjoyed some great battles in recent races. However, due back on the grid in Pro-Am1 is double Oulton Park winner Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) and with George Brewster (Celtic Speed) also in the mix it should be a cracking weekend in Pro-Am1.

In Pro-Am2, the battle is between Keith Webster (Redline Racing) and Will Goff (Goff Racing) as they switch to the home track for Dereham-based Goff.

Attachments

• snett1_747.jpg
    snett1_747.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 18,923
Lloyd tops Carrera Cup GB test at Snetterton

Daniel Lloyd heads the testing times at Snetterton
Dean Stoneman second fastest from Michael Meadows
Dan De Zille tops Pro-Am1 Victor Jimenez

Dan Lloyd was the man on top of the times in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Snetterton during testing today (Friday 2 August). Dean Stoneman led the chase of Lloyd, while Dan De Zille and Will Goff headed Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2 respectively.

The day's opening test session was a wash out after a huge thunderstorm swept across the track, flooding the track in places and even knocking out the circuit power supply. In the few laps possible before the session was halted, Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) set the fastest time, though championship leader Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) elected to not venture out.

In contrast, the weather had improved considerably for the afternoon session and the track was soon fully dry. However, all the drivers reported that the track was dirty from the earlier flooding and much of the rubber laid down in recent weeks had been washed away.

Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) fastest overall:
'It was fully dry for the second session but there were still muddy patches about and it was quite tricky in places. That's a really good start to the weekend but its tomorrow that counts. It's all good."

Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) second overall:
'It was muddy out there, but I had a sensible run on new tyres. I was two-tenths up on my next lap, but then I got onto the grass. The car looks good with my new sponsor Bike-It!"

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) third overall:
'I didn't take new tyres for that session so to be only three-tenths off is good. The track was really dirty so we used the tyres from race two at Croft, which hadn't done many laps."

Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) first in Pro-Am1:
'I'm quite happy with that. We tested here a few weeks ago in the high temperatures and that was a useful day."

Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) second in Pro-Am1:
'The track conditions were much better this afternoon. I have not been in the car since Croft, so I needed time to get back up to speed."

Will Goff (Goff Racing) first in Pro-Am2:
'I only just got here in time for the second session. Work is manic at the moment as the harvest has started on the farm and it has been very busy over the last couple of weeks."

Attachments

• snett2_786.jpg
    snett2_786.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 18,921
De Zille wins Michelin award in Carrera Cup GB

Dan De Zille is the sixth Porsche Carrera Cup GB racer of the 2013 season to win a set of tyres as part of Michelin's long-standing support of the championship. De Zille's name was drawn from a hat ahead of rounds 11 and 12 at Snetterton this weekend (3/4 August).

Former single-seater ace De Zille joined the Carrera Cup GB at the start of the 2013 season as he switched his focus to sports and GT cars and has made excellent progress as he adapts to the new challenge. He is racing with Redline Racing and is now established as one of the leading contenders in the Pro-Am1 category where he is battling with team mate Victor Jimenez.

Having been the control tyre supplier for the Carrera Cup GB since the championship was created in 2003, Michelin is once more supporting the teams and drivers with the award of a complete set of slick racing tyres at each event. Before the start of testing at each race weekend, a name is drawn from a hat to receive the tyres, with a value of more than £1200.

Attachments

• snett3_213.jpg
    snett3_213.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 18,918
Meadows tops Carrera Cup GB qualifying at Snetterton

Michael Meadows grabs double pole at Snetterton
Gelzinis, Butcher and Lloyd lead the chase
Dan De Zille tops Pro-Am1 from Victor Jimenez

Michael Meadows stormed to two pole positions in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Snetterton today (Saturday 3 August) with a monster lap in the closing minutes of the session. The very closely matched trio of Jonas Gelzinis, Rory Butcher and Daniel Lloyd filled the next places while Dan De Zille topped Pro-Am1 and Will Goff headed Pro-Am2.

In a session that got faster and faster as it progressed, Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) blasted to the top of the times on his final flying lap with a time that put him seven-tenths of a second clear of the field. Before Meadows set his stunning time, the top four drivers had been covered by a tenth of a second, but Meadows moved the benchmark on with a big attack on his second set of tyres. Gelzinis (Juta Racing) will start second for both races while Butcher (Celtic Speed) and Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) each took a third and a fourth place.

In Pro-Am1 it was a great session for Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) who took both poles ahead of his team mate Victor Jimenez, while Pro-Am2 racer Will Goff (Goff Racing) chased the Pro-Am1 drivers.

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) first overall:
'When I went over the line and saw 52.8s I was celebrating. I'm mega happy because I found 1.1s on my second set of tyres."

Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) second overall:
'That is okay after the summer break and no testing. On the first set of tyres I learned how to drive the car and I could maybe have found four-tenths more on the second set of tyres, but Michael's time is perfect."

Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) third overall for round 11:
'I was adjusting to the different grip levels from testing yesterday. We didn't test here before the race weekend, but I felt that I really hooked up the sectors on the second set of tyres."

'That was okay. I missed the slot in the first session but the track was getting quicker and quicker as the session went on. I know Snetterton pretty well and that's my first double pole in Pro-Am1."

'The balance of the car is very good and I'm getting more feeling with the car. But De Zille is very strong today."

'It was okay, but I could have gone quicker. I've got a problem with the clutch or gearbox on the downshift."

Attachments

• snett4_144.jpg
    snett4_144.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 18,915
Gelzinis wins Carrera Cup GB round 11 at Snetterton

Jonas Gelzinis wins as Michael Meadows gets false start penalty
Dean Stoneman and Rory Butcher complete the podium
Victor Jimenez wins Pro-Am1 from Keith Webster

Jonas Gelzinis won round 11 of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Snetterton today (Sunday 4 August) in a race that started in dramatic style when poleman Michael Meadows was penalised for a false start.

Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) recovered from a drive-through penalty to finish fifth as Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing), Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) and Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) ran close in the battle for second. In Pro-Am1, Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) scored a resounding win after his team mate Dan De Zille was sidelined at the start with driveshaft failure.

Meadows lead from the start but knew that he'd made a false start after his clutch dragged on the line. He was awarded a drive-through penalty and that cost him 15s in total as he rejoined down in eighth. He fought back to fifth, but the damage was done.

Meanwhile, Gelzinis (Juta Racing) was controlling the race from the front and was able to respond when Stoneman closed the gap a little after working ahead of Butcher. Lloyd then spent many laps tracking Butcher, but that was how they stayed to the flag as Gelzinis took his second win of the season to pull level with Meadows on points.

Despite a spin, Jimenez always headed Pro-Am1 as Keith Webster (Redline Racing) made a fine return to the championship to take second from George Brewster (Celtic Speed). As Brewster struggled home without a front splitter after an off, Will Goff (Goff Racing) had an excellent race among the Pro-Am1 runners to claim Pro-Am2 spoils.

Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) first overall:
'That is an important result. I saw that Meadows was moving at the start and I was expecting he would be penalised. I always had a bit in hand and I was watching my mirrors and controlling the pace."

Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) second overall:
'It's good to be back on the podium and do the best job I can after a tough last round. I'm very pleased with that, but I was struggling a bit with understeer."

Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) third overall:
'They were just a bit quicker than me, but it was just good to finish and get some points. Dan pushed me in the middle of the race, but I was able to pull a bit of a gap later in the race."

Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) first in Pro-Am1:
'I'm very happy with the result. But I had a spin during the race and I had quite a lot of oversteer."

Keith Webster (Redline Racing) second in Pro-Am1:
'That was a good race: I really enjoyed it and I wanted to keep second. I had to pace myself and even when Victor spun I wasn't close enough to him to take advantage."

'That was very good. I was trying to keep with Keith Webster: that was my aim. I just made a few mistakes at the end of the race."

Round 11 results:
Pro category: 1 Jonas Gelzinis; 2 Dean Stoneman; 2 Rory Butcher.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Victor Jimenez; 2 Keith Webster; 3 George Brewster.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Will Goff.

Attachments

• snett5_211.jpg
    snett5_211.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 18,913
Gelzinis wins Carrera Cup GB round 12 at Snetterton

Jonas Gelzinis wins from Michael Meadows
Rory Butcher chases Meadows to complete the podium
Dan De Zille wins Pro-Am1 from Victor Jimenez

Jonas Gelzinis won round 12 of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Snetterton today (Sunday 4 August) to remain level with Michael Meadows at the head of the championship standings. Gelzinis burst ahead off the line and when Meadows flat-spotted a tyre on the opening lap he had to concentrate on fending off Butcher rather than attacking Gelzinis.

Gelzinis (Juta Racing) got the perfect start to grab the lead from Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) and controlled the race superbly from the front. Gelzinis duly earned the driver of the weekend award and Juta Racing won the Drift team of the weekend prize.

Meadows was soon in trouble with a flat-spotted tyre and came under intense attack from Butcher (Celtic Speed) as Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) went with them. Butcher attacked Meadows relentlessly, but not could find a gap in his defences. With Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) out with a broken driveshaft as he recovered from a high-speed spin on the first lap, Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) stormed to fifth overall and a fine Pro-Am1 victory.

Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) ran second in Pro-Am1 and had a mighty contest with James Birch (Samsung Smart Motorsport) while Keith Webster (Redline Racing) was a strong third in Pro-Am1. Will Goff (Goff Racing) completed a strong weekend by winning Pro-Am2 for the second time.

Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) first overall:
'It's fantastic. That is three wins in a row, which makes me feel very positive looking forward because Snetterton was not my favourite track."

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) second overall:
'That was another dodgy start: we changed the clutch after the first race and maybe I was thinking about it too much. Then I flat-spotted a tyre into the hairpin on the first lap and it was a real struggle after that. We've been so fast this weekend, but a couple of little mistakes have cost us."

Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) third overall:
'I just had to keep pushing. Michael's pace was really down at the start. The last few laps were good fun: the team has been superb and the car has been spot on all weekend."

'It's what we knew we could do before the driveshaft failed at the start of the first race. It was good to be in control of the class: then I saw Dan Lloyd coming back, but I didn't fight against him."

'I had a very strong fight with James Birch. It was impossible to overtake, but it was a very good fight and I got more experience."

Keith Webster (Redline Racing) third in Pro-Am1:
'I'm really pleased with that. I had consistent pace and I could see them ahead as they tripped each other up. That was proper racing."

'I got a better start this time and had a tussle with George Brewster. I got the jump on him at the start and then he spun at Williams."

Round 12 results:
Pro category: 1 Jonas Gelzinis; 2 Michael Meadows; 3 Rory Butcher.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Dan De Zille; 2 Victor Jimenez; 3 Keith Webster.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Will Goff.

Attachments

• snett6_938.jpg
    snett6_938.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 18,911

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back