Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 1
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 75
996 : 1997-2005 33
993 : 1993-1998 7
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 33
Cayman : 2005- 20
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 5
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
GT4
Nordschleife
Nordschleife


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 30174
Location: Hertfordshire and Hampshire


PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: OPC Hatfield '911-50' 1972 2.4 Targa Restoration Reply with quote

Here is the blog for OPC Hatfield's 1972 2.4TE Targa resto:

http://pchatfield911restoration.wordpress.com/

Quote:
ding a suitable car within a few hours (in the form of a 1972 Porsche 911T Coupe), we were all quite happy with ourselves. The car was advertised on a well known Classic Car website as an auction car, set to fall under the hammer at a Bonhams auction at the end of June 2013 with a guide price of £15,000 – £18,000. Excited at the proposition, we registered our intent to bid and eagerly counted down the days to the auction. As the auction drew close, we realised that all of our proverbial eggs were in one solemn basket and if this car didn’t come in below our £20,000 budget, then we would be a day late and a dollar short. Coincidentally, we received a hot tip from a friend and customer of Porsche Centre Hatfield in the form of Tony Outridge. Tony has been buying, restoring and selling classic 911’s for some years and had got wind of a 1972 Targa which had been collecting dust in the forecourt of an Independent Porsche Garage by the name of RPM Technik.

After a few phone calls and a quick run up to their Hertfordshire base, a deal was brokered and we had our very own ’72 Targa in Ivory White, complete with Targa top and black Fuchs alloy wheels. Upon initial inspection, the PC Hatfield team were happy with their work, procuring the vehicle for a sensible price well within our budget.

This was just as well, as the 1972 911T which we originally had our sights set on went for just shy of £50,000, well out of our financial reach!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Roro
Long Beach


Joined: 01 Oct 2010
Posts: 6384



PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to seeing what these cars eventually sell for, and whether they'll sell with Approved Used warranty and Finance etc... I'm they'll go for mega-bollock money...
_________________
2007 997.1 GT3
2017 F87 M2
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
rottenbend
Magny-Cours


Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Posts: 2589
Location: Hertfordshire

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roro wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing what these cars eventually sell for, and whether they'll sell with Approved Used warranty and Finance etc... I'm they'll go for mega-bollock money...


They won't have a Porsche Warranty. Mine didn't even have that. But Porsche do a Classic Warranty for older cars which is a rebranded third-party warranty.

I bet they go for a fortune too. If it was my money I'd rather be involved in the whole process and watch the restoration unfold. Far more satisfying plus you know it'll get done to your standards.
_________________
1997 993 Carrera S

 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Roro
Long Beach


Joined: 01 Oct 2010
Posts: 6384



PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, own standards, as well as own colour... Whistling

I think to be able to buy something this old from an OPC with any kind of warranty would be just amazing, and the provenance and all that stuff as well as the actual restoration work would be top-notch and cement future values.

... One would hope. Smile
_________________
2007 997.1 GT3
2017 F87 M2
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Ocean Blue
Kyalami


Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 1788



PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers GT4
I've added this to my favourites. Should be an interesting if not good evolving story.

Thumb
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GT4
Nordschleife
Nordschleife


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 30174
Location: Hertfordshire and Hampshire


PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to be uncharitable to OPC Hatfield, and it is still work in progress, but if I had a resto done, I'd have it done by a resto specialist.

The only reason OPC technicians know where that 2.4's engine is, is that Porsche continue to put it pretty much still there on the 991.

I doubt any of the staff ever worked on one before, and even if they have, resto skills are not the same as normal maintenance.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Roro
Long Beach


Joined: 01 Oct 2010
Posts: 6384



PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... 991 has an engine eh!

I thought it just had 2 fans to keep the little mousies cool when they're running around the big wheel thing, called the IMS I think.
_________________
2007 997.1 GT3
2017 F87 M2
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GT4
Nordschleife
Nordschleife


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 30174
Location: Hertfordshire and Hampshire


PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A that my friend, is why you are only allowed access to a Dulux colour chart and not a SnapOn catalogue.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Roro
Long Beach


Joined: 01 Oct 2010
Posts: 6384



PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well something's better than nothing Very Happy
_________________
2007 997.1 GT3
2017 F87 M2
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Hamster82
Newbie


Joined: 14 Aug 2014
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT4 wrote:
I don't want to be uncharitable to OPC Hatfield, and it is still work in progress, but if I had a resto done, I'd have it done by a resto specialist.

The only reason OPC technicians know where that 2.4's engine is, is that Porsche continue to put it pretty much still there on the 991.

I doubt any of the staff ever worked on one before, and even if they have, resto skills are not the same as normal maintenance.


I don't want to be uncharitable to anyone, but I must object.
I am an opc technician. Not Hatfield, although I did work there many years ago. I have also worked on many classics. 2.2s 2.4s 2.7s SCs 3.2s. Oh and 356s and 912s. I have done everything from bulbs to engine builds. I still know a couple of the guys at Hatfield. They have a similar background to me. I will be part of the team working on our next restoration project.
I would often have the same opinion about a "main dealer" as you. But in my experience it is not true at Porsche Centres.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Zingari
Donnington
Donnington


Joined: 25 Oct 2009
Posts: 12954
Location: Cheshire

1993 Porsche 964 Anniversary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamster82 wrote:

I don't want to be uncharitable to anyone, but I must object.
I am an opc technician. Not Hatfield, although I did work there many years ago. I have also worked on many classics. 2.2s 2.4s 2.7s SCs 3.2s. Oh and 356s and 912s. I have done everything from bulbs to engine builds. I still know a couple of the guys at Hatfield. They have a similar background to me. I will be part of the team working on our next restoration project.
I would often have the same opinion about a "main dealer" as you. But in my experience it is not true at Porsche Centres.


Great stuff Thumb I didn't know OPCs had the same recruitment policy as B&Q
_________________
The game's afoot. It's time to put a bit of (Colini) stick about......Why RUF when you can WUF
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Pretzel
Hockenheim


Joined: 20 Apr 2014
Posts: 699
Location: Bedfordshire


PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: OPC Hatfield '911-50' 1972 2.4 Targa Restoration Reply with quote

GT4 wrote:
Here is the blog for OPC Hatfield's 1972 2.4TE Targa resto:


There is a similar car in the Silverstone OPC showroom, are all OPC's going to be restoring a 'classic'
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GT4
Nordschleife
Nordschleife


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 30174
Location: Hertfordshire and Hampshire


PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: OPC Hatfield '911-50' 1972 2.4 Targa Restoration Reply with quote

Pretzel wrote:
GT4 wrote:
Here is the blog for OPC Hatfield's 1972 2.4TE Targa resto:


There is a similar car in the Silverstone OPC showroom, are all OPC's going to be restoring a 'classic'


They were all invited to produce one for 911-50 celebrations (OPC Hatfield was shown as work in progress on the 911-50 night last year, although they had guest spots for other [completed] OPC entries)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GT4
Nordschleife
Nordschleife


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 30174
Location: Hertfordshire and Hampshire


PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamster82 wrote:
GT4 wrote:
I don't want to be uncharitable to OPC Hatfield, and it is still work in progress, but if I had a resto done, I'd have it done by a resto specialist.

The only reason OPC technicians know where that 2.4's engine is, is that Porsche continue to put it pretty much still there on the 991.

I doubt any of the staff ever worked on one before, and even if they have, resto skills are not the same as normal maintenance.


I don't want to be uncharitable to anyone, but I must object.
I am an opc technician. Not Hatfield, although I did work there many years ago. I have also worked on many classics. 2.2s 2.4s 2.7s SCs 3.2s. Oh and 356s and 912s. I have done everything from bulbs to engine builds. I still know a couple of the guys at Hatfield. They have a similar background to me. I will be part of the team working on our next restoration project.
I would often have the same opinion about a "main dealer" as you. But in my experience it is not true at Porsche Centres.


How many air-cooled specialists do Hatfield have?

How many have worked on 2.4s? (in recent memory)

My post was slightly tongue in cheek (and specifically towards OPC Hatfield), but the skills are specialist, not generalist.

The problem comes when trainee technicians don't see or practice on the older cars during apprenticeships, then those skills are lost forever.

Even a fully trained master tech will be rusty if they don't see the cars regularly.

Use it or lose it (or never have it).

If they were heart surgeons or 747 pilots (even HGV drivers), if they don't see enough experience within a set period, they lose their licence.

Why should I trust a technician who hasn't even diagnosed a classic issue for x years over a specialist Indy who fixed the exact same thing last week?

I have nothing against OPCs, both my Porsches were/are serviced and maintained within the network, but mine goes to OPC Cambridge, who although significantly smaller dealer, have three air-cooled specialists, with at least two having served for OPC Cambridge since the 964's day.

Having said all that, you could enquire of your OPC Hatfield contacts why they didn't get the resto finished on time (it was just a shell with no engine on 911-50 night, albeit a Slate Grey shell), why it had a non-authentic Alcantara dash and why they had erroneously fitted a RHD door mirror to a LHD car (which although appealing to my sense of symmetry OCD, failed in functionality and originality)



I also still stand by my assertion that restoration skills are quite different to maintenance skills.

I bet the paintshop and upholstery were farmed-out for a start ('cos OPC Hatfield even do that on the modern stuff! - OPC Cambridge has an in-house bodyshop - even restoring a 1952 Porsche Tractor when I dropped my 993 off for paint last month)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum