Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My Vesuvio(us) Metallic 911 996 C2

Love it!

I8jzQYK.jpg

Cleaned the interior yesterday, seats came up a treat but the bolsters, gear knob and wheel need re-colouring to fix scuffs.

Done:
- Gearbox Oil 75w90 Synth

To Do:
- Re-colour and seal leather interior contact bits
- Brake Fluid Pagid DOT 4
- Fit mesh to stop leaves getting into rad cavity.
- Trace Air con leak (looking likely to be the fatter pipe under drivers sill)
- Refurb my genuine turbo-look (techno?) 18" wheels and new tyres
- Fix minor body corrosion
- Observe engine oil weeping until clutch change

Decisions decisions... Got my new wheels, but what colour to refurb them?

Standard Silver, or 993 Vesuvio edition inspired grey (Would be gun metal grey, so not quite the same as steel grey used there):

P1070335.jpg

vs something like this:

JKoCSNu.jpg

Image borrowed from: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=231385 (not my car).

How rude of someone to park their bicycle on top of your car like that!

That matt grey undercoat looks dreadful, what colour were you planning to go on top?

GT4 said:
That matt grey undercoat looks dreadful, what colour were you planning to go on top?

:D Gun Metal Grey powder coat. My image editing skills only go so far... They would be darker than that with a bit of blue and metallic. http://www.sanjeev.net/colors/color-gunmetal.html

This is my inspiration - I know, the colours (and car) are somewhat different:
IMG_91381-490x368.jpg

Ah, so horrible were they, I didn't even think your inspiration was the special edition 993 in Vesuvius with Grey highlights.

The correct grey is called Steel Grey or StahlGrau:

Stahlgrau metalic MAT POR61W or in glasurit: P61W

IMG_91381.jpg

IMG_91391.jpg

IMG_91421.jpg

IMG_91401.jpg

Martian said:
I think your 996 used to belong to a guy over on PistonHeads called 'Soovy'.

He was always being ribbed about the colour 'bell-end purple'..... :D

Nah his was a tip. Its not really the shade you describe, more brown but shimmers a bit purple in the sunlight.

Just washed it and it looks awesome!

or buy a set of GT3 wheels - they really suit the car...

DSC_0232-2-4.jpg

DSC_0039w.jpg

There are only 2 in this colour in Ireland, so its pretty rare over here too..

Those do look great on the GT3 wheels.

Got the aircon sorted this weekend. Local mobile guy helped confirm the leak in the long fat pipe under the drivers sill. If anyone needs air con service in North Lancs / Cumbria give me a shout I will put you on to a good guy, he is looking for a similar 996 to buy himself!

Looks like previously the system was open to atmosphere (there's a recent receipt for condensers). The dryer (dated manufactured 1998, so original) was heavy so full of moisture.

The long fat pipe is a bit of a pig to replace as it runs up the wing and over the fuel filler.

Part was £108 with seals, bolts, arch liner rivets and discount from OPC. Also I fitted a new NRF dryer from mister-auto £20. I also added grill mesh as recommended on here, a bit of a faff on a standard carrera bumper but looks good now. Also fitted a new charcoal (carbon) cabin filter - tip here is the 996 uses the same one as a Peugeot 406 whoch can be founder cheaper than Porsche ones.

Air con is working great after the mobile guy came back to vac and re-charge :thumbs:

To Do List:
- Re-colour and seal leather interior contact bits
- Brake Fluid Pagid DOT 4 at next service
- Refurb my genuine turbo-look (techno?) 18" wheels and new tyres
- Fix minor body corrosion (front wings)
- Observe engine oil weeping until clutch change

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back