Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 911 SC starts and runs fine but idles rought

artojma

I have a MY 1981 ROW 911 SC with a smog pump, no a/c and in totally original condition (f.ex. no pop off valve). It has done about 82 000 kilometers and it has been serviced regularly.

It was running just great but after 12th of May this year it all changed – it start losing idle: first for about a month or so if it was started cold it would idle very roughly about 300 rpm but if it was given a bit of gas it would idle after about 30 seconds OK on it´s own– if it was started warm it would idle just OK right from the beginning. After end of June it has mainly idled about 500 rpm but sometimes idles just normally ie. 950 rpm - if started cold it idles first about 1 800 rpm for a few seconds.

Spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor all look fine, a vacuum test didn´t show any leaks and there is also no gasoline leaks to see and if I pull the oil filler cap off the rpms drop a bit, no cracks on the air box, no back fire, besides the idle it runs just fine – so it always revs and starts fine !

The exhaust analyzer gave these results just a couple of hours before idle problems started:

CO 0.23
HC 10
CO2 12,70
O2 3.71 %

Since the nearest Porsche service is about 1 000 km´s from me I would really appreciate any ideas what could be wrong in my Porsche – even if it would not be better than a guess !

I had one of these cars many years ago and I had a similar fault which turned out to be the cold start valve.
This type of injection system is very sensitive to fuel pressure,so make sure all is ok with regard to the pump,filter etc..
Also on an older car it is good practice to check all of the multi plugs that go to the various sensors for soundness as slight corrosion on these can cause problems.
I blanked off the air pump on my car!!
Great cars by the way..i would love to own another one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back