Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Project - Plan B

Great work, thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to the report on the finished engine, but presumably not as much as you are looking forward to having your gorgeous 964 back.

Hi,

Great work, thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to the report on the finished engine, but presumably not as much as you are looking forward to having your gorgeous 964 back.

Thanks Inaglasshouse! You've hit the nail on the head there! I can't wait to her back :sad:

I was hoping it would be this week for a long weekend away to mix some pleasure with business. It's still 2 or 3 weeks off, if everything goes ok.

The tin-ware, covers, bumper stays etc. (not the door handles yet though) have returned from being powder coated, as has the fan and cowling, more on them later.

This is a lovely bit of kit, a Quaife limited-slip differential for the Porsche G50 box. It seems like a must have for 350bhp hot rod and I'd been mulling over sliding one down the slippery slope for a while. Oh well, it's only money :eek:

I was about to ask Nick when met up with him again when he said, "Have you thought about a limited slip diff?" That's that sorted then. Nick likes these and if he says it's good, that's enough for me. Anyone had any experience of them or other aftermarket ltd-slip diffs on G50's?

Cheers,
Paul

Paul, slippy diff.....we're not worthy, we're not worthy!

Paul, slippy diff.....we're not worthy, we're not worthy!

:grin: Cheers mate!

Valves now seated:

Pistons installed:

More soon,
Paul

Not long now :thumb:

(The Silver Surfer should be back this week with the dampers on and looks like Gemballa springs. Feedback is they've gone on OK. I've not had the bill yet :roll: )

Hi Brian,

That's great news :thumb:

They should have been a straight forward bolt on replacement. Where did the Gemballas, erm, spring from? Were the turbo coils too tall for you?

We might actually get out in our cars this summer then :frustrated:

You know the rules, pics please :wink:

Cheers,
Paul

Some suggestion the turbo springs are Gemballa as they were a popular fit on the turbo. By all accounts they have gone on OK and I agreed a ride height the same as the old set up. I've had all bushes replaced, new 993C4 engine mounts, new ARB and Goodridge hoses as well as a few other bits.

I've yet to confirm the set up and whether I need to borrow PeterS platform shoes to climb in :grin: Pics should be with the car when it comes back this week.

If I'm not in London at weekend I will be making the trip over to see the London crew at Donington

Hi Brian,

You're certainly going to town on the Silver Surfer, can't wait to see the photos.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were an upgrade as the car they came from was cossetted to say the least. The stuff was in near perfect condition before I extravagantly powder coated them :wack:

Cheers,
Paul

Hi All,

Now where's that dog's dinner? Followed by a large slice of humble pie :roll:

You may remember I said that too much carbon can look like a "dog's dinner" and I still believe that but have you seen this???

I know, it's beautiful isn't it? So I'm going to get humble with you guys and say I like the carbon on this and it's exactly the look I've been chasing, so please accept my apologies :pc:

This engine is a 3.0L race engine with PMO's and ITG's and has been built by JB Racing in Florida, notice the oil filter postioning. JB are now making me a carbon shroud for my 964 engine. They've already made one for their own 964 so they have a pattern.

Race engine obviously doesn't need heating, but I do :eek:ld: so we will (Nick will ha) have to adapt the shroud to take this Rennline heater duct, mine will say 3.8.

The back of the shroud even has a divot for the throttle rod connection between the throttle bodies, perfect :thumb:

Above is a similar JB kit.

The following pictures are of a JB Racing prepared Santos racing Porsche.

The whole thing won't look as brash when the engine is installed as you would just get glimpses of the carbon under the throttle bodies and with the top bank of cams having red plug leads the effect should be very smart.

JB Racing have been fantastic and especially Mike Bruns for arranging to have my kit made up quickly.

The cams are in now so a few more pics soon.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul,
I don't know what to say........
It's so luuuuuvvvvvly :worship:

This bar is being risen so high, you'll need to be Jess Ennis to clear it!

Hi Guys,

A quick update, things have been held back on the engine build due to clearance issues from the pistons and valves, despite the cams being RSR and the pistons RS items.

Some machining was required on the pistons but the net result will be that they are going to be absolutely perfect, every cloud....

Rebuilding is already under way but we still have an empty engine bay, it looks clean anyway :frustrated:

Not so empty now eh? Ok, I know, but at least it's something. Not just any something either, the AC unit is painted up to match the fan which is also powder coated in "Dark Chrome":grin:

Within a few days this will also look a lot different, further issues aside.

Some more bits have arrived, in fact we have everything to finish, I think...

The JB Racing carbon fan shroud above arrived in just 4 days from Tavares, Florida. A big thank you to Mike Bruns and Beverley for sorting the shipping. Mike has been outstanding in having this specially made up and delivered in time. Of course you don't need heating for racing in Florida but I like my creature comforts so as I said Nick will cut the connection for the heater duct from the old shroud and fit them together to mate up with the Rennline heater duct.

And finally for now, here is my Quaife LSD ready to be mated up.

More soon,
Paul :bye:

Hi Guys,

A quick update, things have been held back on the engine build due to clearance issues from the pistons and valves, despite the cams being RSR and the pistons RS items.

Some machining was required on the pistons but the net result will be that they are going to be absolutely perfect, every cloud....

Rebuilding is already under way but we still have an empty engine bay, it looks clean anyway :frustrated:

Not so empty now eh? Ok, I know, but at least it's something. Not just any something either, the AC unit is painted up to match the fan which is also powder coated in "Dark Chrome":grin:

Within a few days this will also look a lot different, further issues aside.

Some more bits have arrived, in fact we have everything to finish, I think...

The JB Racing carbon fan shroud above arrived in just 4 days from Tavares, Florida. A big thank you to Mike Bruns and Beverley for sorting the shipping. Mike has been outstanding in having this specially made up and delivered in time. Of course you don't need heating for racing in Florida but I like my creature comforts so as I said Nick will cut the connection for the heater duct from the old shroud and fit them together to mate up with the Rennline heater duct.

And finally for now, here is my Quaife LSD ready to be mated up.

More soon,
Paul :bye:

Normally, when you get to that "engine assembled, on the stand" pic, the rest goes together pretty quickly, although you have the LSD to add.

Do we have a timescale?

Looking fantastic.

:thumb:

Normally, when you get to that "engine assembled, on the stand" pic, the rest goes together pretty quickly, although you have the LSD to add.

Do we have a timescale?

Looking fantastic.

Hi Peter,

Thanks and yes we're picking up the pace now, here's today's progress. The timescale, this time next week she'll finally be on the road again, barring un-forseen problems. The engine map is all ready on a memory stick for installation to the Motec M84.

The only parts we're waiting for are the door handles. We tried anodising them but the results weren't brilliant so they have gone off today to be powder coated. I mentioned in a previous post that Porsche anodised the early black 911 handles as the aluminium grade they used was superior to the late 80's and 90's cars (964's). Poorer quality aluminium doesn't hold anodising well and these later models were powder coated, so that's what we'll do. It was worth a try.

More tomorrow.

Cheers,
Paul

Amazing work , you must be so looking forward to the finish line , hope it goes well for you .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back