Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Project - 'The Red Baron!'

Zingari said:
Nice work Chief :thumb: How you fixed doing mine as a foreigner :dont know:

I speak a little Polish :?:

Pete, as usual, thanks for the lovely comment. I'll put it down to holiday excitement. Drive careful, drive safe mate.....missing you already.

rs69 said:
Great job mate.

Thanks fella. Still a lot to do, so I think this thread will run and run.
In search of perfection......

Re: 'The Red Baron!'

Hi Chief,

I am just about to prep my car in advance of having some repair work done to the jack point. I can't quite tell from your pics but, before welding, did you remove the duct elbow or did you remove any of the interior insulation in that area? Just thinking about fire or other potential damage risks - I thought the interior was venerable until I read your report and saw your pic but I am now thinking that is less likely to be of concern due to that void.

Thanks
Steve

Chief said:
P1000676.jpg
[/URL]

Steve,
I just placed a fire/ heat cloth inside the tunnel. Although I think this was a bit of overkill. The white plastic 90 degree bend wasn't even warm after welding even though I puddle welded the holes first then welded the jacking point.

Thanks for that. I have agreed with my chosen repairer that I would bring the car in ready to repair and was wondering how far to strip back, I'll follow your lead.

Steve

Bit of an update for those following the Baron....
Progress has been a little slow (more of that later Ron) as every nut, bolt and fastener has resisted removal. I have been concentrating on the hard brake lines & flexies whilst the oil pipes are being painted. The corrosion is as you can see, excessive. Also the male ends of most of the hard lines are rounded off.

So time to start bending some replacements.

Getting closer, so a trial fit should be fun. Getting the whole lot through the hole for the flexi was a little tricky...

After a little resistance and some cursing both front lines were replaced.

So all done for now and onto removing the nearside skirt and shark fin. Now I wandered why after taking all the fixings off, that the fin wouldn't budge, and here's why.

Hmmm glued on with silicon for good measure!
So nothing but dirt to report, no rust or nasties (Thank God!)

Then I removed the rear PU to have a sniff around, again nothing untoward.

So that's it for now. Many parts ordered and ideas to figure out.
I managed to bag some mint 993 door handles, but more of that next time.
Thanks for following, it is nice to know i'm not on my own with everyone building, repairing and modifying.
All the best,
The Baron....

Brilliant stuff.

I'm thrilled that you have a pipe bender thingy, as on the BB the rear brake pipes are completely wrong. The same person that fakked up the engine has also invoiced for "fitting" new brake pipes. Looks like I will be booking it into Chief Motors for correction treatment. (This is not a BDSM reference)

I've just spent a few hours going over the car with my painter.......

Well we are going for windows out, doors off, wings off, sunroof out!
Side repeater delete and 993 door handles. Now this thread started off with checking out the brakes :dont know:

Slippery slope chum :thumb: I only envisaged fixing the velcro in the luggage compartment............................... :roll:

I must get my wheel arches as clean as yours!

Ian

...Crikey, looks like it's going to be a long night...I mean a long year !!! 8)

Zingari said:
Slippery slope chum :thumb: I only envisaged fixing the velcro in the luggage compartment............................... :roll:
Damn, forgot to mention this too him. I bet the quote will go up, now what else did I forget :?:

nick w said:
...Crikey, looks like it's going to be a long night...I mean a long year !!! 8)

The problem is Nick that the bar has been high and getting higher since Clinchy started all this 964 nonsense :grin:

To be truthful there seems little point putting it all back together with rust issues. Although they are only minor, the rear window has to come out for the rust at the bottom edge. The front wing has some scabbing in at least three places and bucket full of stone chips on the bonnet and PU. And what with the raised bar and all that :puh:

O.K it's been a while since an update, so here we have it. I have been trying to get the car ready for paint but the weather had a different idea.

So after drying off I thought i'd take the door handles off as I wanted to change the locks out into my 993 ones. These will be painted body colour but I wanted to make sure they all lined up correctly.

Right, all done here. So next I needed to take out the Instruments as i have ordered a new rev counter face in red with the 7,000 rpm at the 12'oclock postion and the tick tock clock black but with the Tag Heuer logo. These are on the way from Ed at Porsche Dials. (A pleasure to deal with, very fast response. Not like some I could name and shame). Anyway having figured this was going to be tricky without damaging the delicate outer rings, I spied a solution.

Easy with the Tom Tom window sucker, they just pulled out!
Right. Now for bumper removal. Fortunately the rear had all parts replaced due to corrosion before I brought the car, so easy job.

Seams a shame to put it back on after don't you think?
Front resisted a little, but the sun was out and life was good!

All off. I have copper greesed the bolts and put the bumper back on so I can winch it onto the trailer for the off to the painter next week.

Spent a couple of hours taking all the fitting off the P.U's and scrubbing them clean to help Paul out.

Now some have said to leave the paint for another day, but as can be seen in these few pic's the Elephant in the rusty room is....

So there you have it. I shall take some pictures of the dials and the removal/ replacement when they arrive. So that's it for now fella's.
Please keep you comments comming as i'm always interested.
THE SIDE INDICATORS ARE GOING TO BE WELDED UP!
Now that should get a few people stirred up. HOTROD :thumb:

Nice one chief keep up the good work were going to be like peas in a pod !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back