Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2013 Race 9 & 10 Croft

Porsche News

Michael Meadows sets the pace in Yorkshire
Daniel Lloyd heads the chase of Meadows
Victor Jimenez tops Pro-Am1 in style

Michael Meadows continued from where he left off at Oulton Park in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB by setting the standard at Croft during testing today (Friday 21 June).

After taking two impressive wins last time out at the Cheshire track, Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) set the pace in testing ahead of rounds nine and ten at the North Yorkshire track. In the morning session, Meadows underlined his status as championship leader with a string of laps in the 1m22s bracket. Then, later in the day on a new tyre run he went half a second quicker to leave the mark at 1m22.172s.

However, it was no easy cruise for Meadows as Daniel Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) ran very strongly to end the day just 0.165s behind Meadows. Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) went third best from Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) and Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed).

In Pro-Am1, Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) topped the times, but series returnee George Brewster (Celtic Speed) ran him close as Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) slotted into third. Series newcomer George Wright (Redline Racing) ran well in Pro-Am2 to head the category.

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) fastest overall:
'We've started here from where we left off at Oulton Park. In the first session the track was still a bit damp in places. If it stays dry for qualifying, I think pole could be in the 1m21s bracket. It's a great way to start the weekend. With the break in the calendar coming up, it is important to finish this weekend in good shape."

Daniel Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) second overall:
'We had a really solid, consistent session this morning on used tyres and then found good pace on new tyres. We know where the time is and it could be wet for the rest of the weekend, which won't be a problem."

Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) third overall:
'It was good when we put the new tyres on for the second session. It seemed like a completely different circuit."

Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) first in Pro-Am1:
'The balance of the car is fantastic. We had very old tyres for the first session, but the second session was better. I prefer the weather in Spain to the rain at Croft."

George Brewster (Celtic Speed) second in Pro-Am1:
'I've not been in the car since Donington in April: I've been busy with business and family commitments. You do miss it and I'm just getting back into the groove."

Attachments

• 2013_129.jpg
    2013_129.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 15,905
Meadows tops Carrera Cup GB qualifying at Croft

Michael Meadows sets storming pace in Yorkshire
Dean Stoneman heads the chase of Meadows
Victor Jimenez tops Pro-Am1 from George Brewster

Michael Meadows was in stunning form in Porsche Carrera Cup GB qualifying at Croft today (Saturday 22 June) to take both pole positions with the fastest Carrera Cup laps ever seen at the Yorkshire track.

Although there were spots of rain in the air as the cars went out for the half-hour session, the track was dry as Meadows set a fierce pace. After the first tyre runs, Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) topped the times, but Meadows went even faster on his second set of tyres to set the mark at 1m21.547s, 1.4s inside the existing lap record. Meadows' second best lap of 1m21.846s was strong enough to secure pole for the second race of the weekend.

Stoneman had a good session to take P2 for both races, while Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) was third from Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed). However, in trouble with fifth and eighth places was Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) after a rear wheel bearing problem interrupted his running after only five laps.

In Pro-Am1, Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) set the pace to take two category poles, but George Brewster (Celtic Speed) ran close to the Spanish racer in an impressive return to the series after missing the Thruxton and Oulton Park events. Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) was third in Pro-Am1, while series newcomer George Wright (Redline Racing) headed Pro-Am2.

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) fastest overall:
'The first set of tyres was okay, and I was just adapting to the track conditions. The track wasn't at the optimum until later in the session. We improved the car slightly for the second tyre run and found six-tenths of a second. Now I just need to get a good start."

'We're in the mix, but Victor Jimenez did very well with that time. When the second set of tyres came in I dropped a wheel off the kerb at Sunny Out on what was my best lap. I had no option but to keep going."

Round 9 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows (1m21.547s); 2 Dean Stoneman (1m21.792s); 3 Dan Lloyd (1m22.112s).
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Victor Jimenez (1m22.889s); 2 George Brewster (1m23.122s); 3 Dan De Zille (1m23.706s).
Pro-Am2 category: 1 George Wright (1m27.324s).

Round 10 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows (1m21.846s); 2 Dean Stoneman (1m21.906s); 3 Dan Lloyd (1m22.384s).
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Victor Jimenez (1m23.288s); 2 George Brewster (1m23.437s); 3 Dan De Zille (1m23.930s).
Pro-Am2 category: 1 George Wright (1m27.397s).

Attachments

• croft1_922.jpg
    croft1_922.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 15,903
Meadows wins Michelin award in Carrera Cup GB

Michael Meadows is the fifth Porsche Carrera Cup GB racer of the 2013 season to win a set of tyres as part of Michelin's long-standing support of the championship. Meadows' name was drawn from a hat ahead of rounds nine and ten at Croft (22/23 June).

Meadows, the defending champion, joined the Samsung Smart Motorsport team for 2013 and currently leads the overall title race by 25 points following round nine at Oulton Park today (22 June). With five wins from nine races, Meadows is the current benchmark for the Carrera Cup GB.

Having been the control tyre supplier for the Carrera Cup GB since the championship was created in 2003, Michelin is once more supporting the teams and drivers with the award of a complete set of slick racing tyres at each event. Before the start of testing at each race weekend, a name is drawn from a hat to receive the tyres, with a value of more than £1200.

Attachments

• croft2_649.jpg
    croft2_649.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 15,896
Stoneman wins Carrera Cup GB round nine

Dean Stoneman wins a thriller at Croft
Rory Butcher and Michael Meadows battle for second
Victor Jimenez bags another Pro-Am1 victory

Dean Stoneman scored a classy win in round nine of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Croft today (Sunday 22 June) after a race-long contest with Rory Butcher and Michael Meadows. Meanwhile Victor Jimenez and George Wright claimed Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2 spoils.

The start was critical as Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) didn't get away well. However Stoneman got a strong start and was able to edge ahead on the drag to Clervaux. Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) tried to dive past Meadows at Hawthorns, but the cars touched and Lloyd spun to the tail of the field.

Up front, Stoneman made the running from Butcher (Celtic Speed) and Meadows and it was nip-and-tuck all race between these three. Meadows finally got ahead of Butcher, but then hit gearbox problems with two laps to go and lost the place back to Butcher as Stoneman stayed ahead for a deserved win. Meadows, with his car stuck in third gear, was almost caught on the final lap by Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing).

Jimenez (Redline Racing) claimed Pro-Am1 after spending many laps trying to find a way ahead of James Birch (Samsung Smart Motorsport). Late in the race Jimenez clinched fifth overall as Lloyd recovered to sixth. George Brewster (Celtic Speed) tigered ahead of Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) to take second in Pro-Am1.

Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) first overall:
'I got a good start and did the job into the first corner. Then I was concentrating on keeping the car consistent. I tried to keep well clear of the tyres at the chicane. I struggled a bit towards the end of the race, but it was so much easier being at the front."

Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) second overall:
'That was really good fun and I was giving 100% the whole race. I made one mistake and Meadows got by, but I got it back towards the end of the race."

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) third overall:
'I didn't get a great start. Then Dan was on the inside at Turn 2 and we touched. That knocked the steering out a bit. Then later in the race I had a gearbox problem and couldn't upshift, so I was stuck in third."

Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) first in Pro-Am1:
'Birch was very strong today. My car was very nervous as the race went, but I'm very, very happy with the result."

'I had a shocking start and got mugged by De Zille: he had the momentum to take him through. Then I kept the best move til last and it worked. It was good racing."

George Wright (Redline Racing) first in Pro-Am2:
'I thoroughly enjoyed myself and my lap times are getting faster every time I go out."

Round 9 results:
Pro category: 1 Dean Stoneman; 2 Rory Butcher; 3 Michael Meadows.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Victor Jimenez; 2 George Brewster; 3 Dan De Zille.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 George Wright.

Gelzinis wins Carrera Cup GB round ten

Jonas Gelzinis wins a dramatic round 10 at Croft
Dean Stoneman excluded from the results
Victor Jimenez wins Pro-Am1 after mighty battle with George Brewster

Jonas Gelzinis took victory in round ten of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Croft today (Sunday 23 June) in a race that was effectively decided at the second corner when five cars, including championship leader Michael Meadows were eliminated. In a fine contest for Pro-Am1, George Brewster just beat Victor Jimenez, while George Wright won Pro-Am2.

There was chaos as the pack turned through Hawthorn for the first time. Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) got the jump on Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) on the run to the first corner. Then, as they turned into Hawthorn, the pack concertina'd behind Stoneman as he braked for the corner. Meadows hit the back of Stoneman and Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) hit the back of Meadows. Both Meadows and Lloyd were out on the spot.

Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) then hit the back of Lloyd and was, in turn, hit by James Birch (Samsung Smart Motorsport). Butcher was tipped into a spin and was hit by Graham De Zille (Redline Racing). Butcher, Birch and De Zille were all out as the safety car joined the track while the damaged cars were removed.

From the re-start, Stoneman was able to pull clear as Gelzinis (Juta Racing) battled ahead of Brewster (Celtic Speed) to run second. Over the closing stages, Gelzinis closed in on the leader and was later elevated to victory when Stoneman was excluded for his part in the first lap accident.

Meanwhile, Brewster became embroiled in a fabulous battle with Jimenez. The Spanish racer got briefly ahead at Tower, but Brewster nipped back ahead to take a great win after an excellent contest.

Jonas Gelzinis (Juta) first overall:
'After our problems in qualifying, I said it could all change today. We changed the car dramatically for the race and it worked completely. I had great pace all through the race."

George Brewster (Celtic Speed) first in Pro-Am1:
'He was quicker than me and I had to work very hard to defend the lead. We both had moments at the chicane. I've very much enjoyed my weekend."

Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) second in Pro-Am1:
'I survived the accident at the first corner. I had a very, very good battle with George Brewster. I passed him and he passed me back again. It was a very good race."

George Wright (Redline Racing) first in Pro-Am2:
'I managed to pick my way through at the first corner. It's been another successful day for me and the whole weekend has been an awesome experience."

Round 10 results:
Overall: 1 Jonas Gelzinis; 2 George Brewster; 3 Victor Jimenez.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 George Brewster; 2 Victor Jimenez.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 George Wright.

Attachments

• croft4_212.jpg
    croft4_212.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 15,884
And a nice day out it was too! Pity about the rain towards the end though.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back