Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Emissions - Oxygen Sensor?

Mobydick

I have just sent my 1988 911 through its first MOT ...the good news it passed! ...but almost failed on the emissions test - actual reading 3.28% vs Max limit of 3.5% (note, the 2011 actual value was 1.95%).

I'm sure there is a few things I could have done better - I warmed the car up for 20 minutes around town, but a 30 minute drive on the motorway might have helped.
From the records, it had a service at 98,903 miles in July 2012 (present mileage is 99,700) and they did Oil/Oil Filter/ Air Filter / Spark plugs/valve clearances.

To improve my chances for next years test I thought to
1. Warm up car for longer
2. Replace oil+oil filter before MOT
3. Use a Fuel system cleaner (I have bought some Redex)

Also, the Bentley manual refers to replacing the Oxygen sensor.
However, I cant seem to find an Oxygen sensor on the exhaust/cat. Is is possible that the car does not have one? Any ideas gratefully received!

No O2 sensors on UK 3.2's. US only.

Probably needs setting up using a CO meter.

Thanks for the reply! I have CO meter and so can do a tune up ...can the mixture and idle be set on the fuel injection system? The Bentley says the DME automatically compensates for minor wear and tear and therefore they do not need adjusting as part of routine maintenance. :?

The mixture is adjusted on the air flow sensor. You might find it in Bentley in the 'adjusting idle' section, but USA cars are different to UK, and the Bentley is an American publication. If you get stuck, drop me a PM.

Thanks for the advice... I will take a look at the car again and see if I can figure it out...and good point about the Bentley manual - I didn't appreciate that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back