Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2013 Race 7 & 8 Oulton Park

Porsche News

All to play for in Carrera Cup GB at Oulton Park

Jonas Gelzinis heads the title race
Michael Meadows, Dean Stoneman and Dan Lloyd lead the chase
Victor Jimenez tops strong Pro-Am1 pack

After six rounds of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB, 2013 is shaping up to be one of the most open and competitive of recent seasons as the action resumes at the fabulous Oulton Park circuit in Cheshire (8/9 June).

After a five-week spring break following rounds five and six at Thruxton, four drivers have emerged as the major contenders for the overall title in the mighty 450bhp 911 GT3 Cup cars.

Three drivers have taken wins across those six races, but as the championship moves north, it is the consistent Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) who holds a single-point lead over defending champion Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport). Meadows has had a mixed start to his season, with a couple of clashes denting his early points' scoring. However resounding wins at Donington (twice) and Thruxton show why he remains the favourite for the title.

Gelzinis, however, has been strong everywhere and heads to Oulton Park on top. The Lithuanian racer relishes the challenge of Oulton and will be determined to add his name to the list of 2013 race winners.

The driver who dominated the opening weekend of the season at Brands Hatch was Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing), but after that rocket start to his Carrera Cup career Dean has had a couple of mixed weekends. He will want to start the middle section of the season with the sort of form that put him straight to the top of the points at Brands.

Carrera Cup Scholarship racer Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) scored a mighty victory at Thruxton to bounce back from two troubled weekends and has the pace to win again as he chips away at the points' gap to the top three. Meanwhile, Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) is the fifth of the potential race winners and deserves a change in fortune after an up and down season to date.

In Pro-Am1, Spanish racer Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) has established a handy early lead but his team mate Dan De Zille in particular is chasing hard after switching to Pro-Am1 before round three at Donington Park. However, back on the grid for Oulton Park and sure to make a big impact on the category are Irish brothers Michael and Karl Leonard with Team Parker Racing. Both are potential Pro-Am1 winners and Karl in particular is recognised as a real ace at the Cheshire track. Giving Pro-Am1 its best entry of the season to date should be Keith Webster (Redline Racing) who returns after missing the opening races due to a broken arm.

Meadows tops Carrera Cup GB Qualifying at Oulton Park

Michael Meadows claims two pole positions
Jonas Gelzinis and Dan Lloyd take second places
Karl Leonard and Dan De Zille top Pro-Am1 times

Michael Meadows was the dominant force in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB during qualifying at Oulton Park today (Saturday 8 June) ahead of rounds seven and eight. Meadows claimed two pole positions in a session full of action, while Pro-Am1 poles were shared between Karl Leonard and Dan De Zille.

Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) set the early pace but clipped the tyres at Knickerbrook on his fourth lap and damaged his steering. His session was over, but such was his initial pace that he still took fifth and third places on the two grids.

Meanwhile, Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) was building his speed and swept to the top of the times on his second tyre run, setting the fastest ever Carrera Cup lap at Oulton Park on his way to pole for both races. Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) charged up to second place with a late push, while Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) posted second best time for round eight.

In Pro-Am1, the times were extremely close as Leonard (Team Parker Racing), De Zille (Redline Racing) and Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) were split by a fifth of a second for round seven. On the grid for round eight, De Zille edged ahead of Leonard. Meanwhile, Peter Smallwood (Parr Motorsport) headed Pro-Am2 despite ending his session with a spin at Druids and a minor off into the tyre wall as he pushed ever harder.

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) first and first:
'I had to back off on the lap that Stoneman hit the tyres and it took a while to get the best out of my tyres. It was inevitable that everyone else would close the gap, but two poles are what we came here for. I hope that is the hardest part done."

Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) second and fifth:
'I had a big moment at the start and touched the tyres. I had to watch the data very carefully to check I had not damaged the radiator, but I was very lucky. Then I had a slow puncture in a rear tyre. I had to wait for a lot of laps to finally do a good time and the tyres had already done five laps by then."

Daniel Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) third and second:
'Michael is still a bit of time ahead, but we moved forward from yesterday and put it two good laps. It's just a shame about Michael's pace."

Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) first and second in Pro-Am1:
'That's not too bad, but I'm disappointed not to be closer to the front of the overall times. I made little mistakes on my two best laps, but anything can happen in the races."

Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) second and first in Pro-Am1:
'We made up some ground on Karl Leonard and I'm very pleased with how qualifying went. We're making good progress."

Round 7 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows (1m22.788s); 2 Jonas Gelzinis (1m23.026s); 3 Dan Lloyd (1m23.248s).
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Karl Leonard (1m24.103s); 2 Dan De Zille (1m24.154s); 3 Victor Jimenez (1m24.295s).
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Peter Smallwood (1m26.164s).

Round 8 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows (1m23.026s); 2 Dan Lloyd (1m23.250s); 3 Dean Stoneman (1m23.334s).
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Dan De Zille (1m24.283s); 2 Karl Leonard (1m24.297s); 3 Victor Jimenez (1m24.407s).
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Peter Smallwood (1m26.570s).

Attachments

• pccgb_190.gif
    pccgb_190.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 13,548
  • oultonpark01_413.jpg
    oultonpark01_413.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 13,548
Lloyd wins Michelin award in Carrera Cup GB

Daniel Lloyd is the fourth Porsche Carrera Cup GB racer of the 2013 season to win a set of tyres at as part of Michelin's long-standing support of the championship.

Lloyd (Huddersfield) earned his prize at Oulton Park today (Saturday 8 June) ahead of rounds seven and eight of the season as he bids to repeat his Thruxton victory in round five of the championship. The Carrera Cup GB Scholarship racer is in his second season with Team Parker Racing and is now firmly established as one of the top five drivers in the Carrera Cup GB.

Having been the control tyre supplier for the Carrera Cup GB since the championship was created in 2003, Michelin is once more supporting the teams and drivers with the award of a complete set of slick racing tyres at each event. Before the start of testing at each race weekend, a name is drawn from a hat to receive the tyres, with a value of more than £1200.

Attachments

• oultonpark02_330.jpg
    oultonpark02_330.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 13,546
Meadows wins Carrera Cup GB round seven at Oulton Park

Michael Meadows wins to re-take points' lead
Dan Lloyd chases Meadows home to take a strong second
Karl Leonard dominates Pro-Am1 from third overall

Michael Meadows claimed an emphatic victory in round seven of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Oulton Park today (Saturday 8 June) as a determined Dan Lloyd and Dean Stoneman chased although Stoneman later received a time penalty and dropped to fifth. Meanwhile, Karl Leonard was a hugely impressive third overall to win Pro-Am1 and Peter Smallwood topped Pro-Am2 racing himself.

Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) got the start he wanted to head the field into old Hall as Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) slotted into second from the battling Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) and Stoneman (Redline Racing).

Stoneman took third on the road after contact sent Butcher into a spin, and the leading trio ran flat out to the flag with the gaps fluctuating but never growing large. Lloyd maintained a relentless chase of Meadows and the margin was only 0.8s at the flag as Stoneman stayed firmly in touch. However, Stoneman was later penalised for the incident with Butcher and dropped to fifth overall in the final results behind Leonard and Butcher.

Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) suffered a front puncture and had to pit for a fresh wheel which dropped him to ninth at the flag and it was Leonard (Team Parker Racing) who swept to Pro-Am1 victory from what became a mighty third place overall. In his wake, Redline Racing team mates Dan De Zille and Victor Jimenez had a cracking contest for second in Pro-Am1, which was only resolved when De Zille hooked neutral at Cascades and dropped back behind the Spanish racer. Smallwood (Parr Motorsport) took Pro-Am2 spoils after a big effort from the team to get the car ready after an off in qualifying.

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) first:
'We've been quick all weekend and you've got to capitalise on weekends like this. It was not as convincing as in qualifying, but we were never going to win it by a lot."

Daniel Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) second:
'That was really good and I'm very happy with the result. It's great for the second race tomorrow as it gives us confidence about our race pace."

Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) first in Pro-Am1:
'I could see the top three Pros for most of the race. I was so far ahead in Pro-Am1 that I didn't want to push too hard. There was nothing in it when Rory Butcher was chasing me and my car was really good."

Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) second in Pro-Am1:
'It was a very good fight with Dan De Zille: 100% all the time. It was much better with the weather today; more like Spain!"

Round 7 results:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows; 2 Dan Lloyd; 3 Karl Leonard.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Karl Leonard; 2 Victor Jimenez; 3 Dan De Zille.

Attachments

• oultonpark03_106.jpg
    oultonpark03_106.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 13,543
Meadows wins Carrera Cup GB round eight at Oulton Park

Michael Meadows completes weekend double
Dan Lloyd chases Meadows home to take second
Karl Leonard dominates Pro-Am1 for the second time

Michael Meadows made it a perfect weekend with victory in round eight of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Oulton Park today (Sunday 9 June) as Dan Lloyd and Rory Butcher joined him on the podium. Karl Leonard also completed a weekend double wins in Pro-Am1,with Pete Smallwood managing to beat himself for a 2nd time to another Pro-Am2 win.

Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) got the start he wanted from pole position and grabbed a lead he would never lose. With a blistering opening lap, Meadows established a crucial margin as Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) headed the chase. Behind them, Butcher (Celtic Speed) and Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) battled mightily as Stoneman tigered ahead at Island. However, on the penultimate lap Stoneman locked a front wheel into Island and ran wide as Butcher dived back ahead.

Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) ran home fifth as Leonard (Team Parker Racing) took Pro-Am1 victory in sixth place overall. In a re-run of their battle in round seven, Redline Racing team mates Dan De Zille and Victor Jimenez ran neck-and-neck for second in Pro-Am1 and this time De Zille was able to fend off the Spaniard for a fine second. Smallwood (Parr Motorsport) claimed Pro-Am2 spoils once more.

Meadows was awarded the 'driver of the weekend' award, while the Ghost HD 'team of the weekend' went to Team Parker Racing.

Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) first:
'Fantastic! That was really excellent and we're certainly going in the right direction. The guys keep giving me a good car."

Daniel Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) second:
'It's been a great weekend. We didn't have the pace to keep with Michael and he had a mega first lap. It was very hot inside the car!"

Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) third:
'I got a really good start, but I knew that Dean Stoneman was on new tyres. Then I was just trying to find my rhythm. I saw him make a mistake at the hairpin and I got him back."

Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) first in Pro-Am1:
'Two wins is a great result. I just made a few mistakes in the first couple of laps and that was when the gap came to the Pro drivers. But I was catching them at the end."

Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) second in Pro-Am1:
'I kept Victor behind this time! It was always hard work, but the car felt a lot better. I could see Karl Leonard and was maintaining the gap. I made a mistake at Old Hall and that let Victor catch up again."

Round 8 results:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows; 2 Dan Lloyd; 3 Rory Butcher.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Karl Leonard; 2 Dan De Zille; 3 Victor Jimenez.

Attachments

• oultonpark04_897.jpg
    oultonpark04_897.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 13,534

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back