Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Project - 'The Red Baron!'

Porsche964FP said:
Great work - well done. :)

High praise indeed Frank coming from the creator of BB thank you. I have followed your various threads on Rennlist. Much respect due. I just hope I can get in the same ball park :thumb:

Everyone else, thanks for the encouragement, and Pete is over egging the cake a bit (but thanks old pal) It's not a case of the satisfaction in doing a job yourself, honestly. It is a case of Porsche being robbing you know what's I have to have a crack at it to save some squeelers!

The trim does look fab, if I say so myself. I hope when it's in I can get some pics that do it justice. The RS door cards are a thing of beauty. Trying to get across to the trimmer that I wanted grainy leatherette that matched the door caps was fun. He couldn't understand why I wanted it to look '90's' and not have sooooper smooth modern leather :grin: to hide it's age.

Still lots to do, and the pace really is dictated by how many times I have to heat everything to get stuff off the car.

Again, thank you all for the encouragement and I hope to do this classic shaped beauty justice.....Stay tuned :bye: 'The Baron'

You are too modest.

Your car will be immense.

:thumb:

Excellent work :worship:

Keep the pics coming.

Good luck,
Paul

another 964 getting the treatment...top stuff :thumb:

Ok fellas, today has been a bit of a slow one...
Lot's of chores around the house to do so i've only done a little bit.
I started by removing the top tube from the oil tank. This is the one that the dip stick lives in. Again the use of heat the only way to remove nuts that have been sat there for 23 years. Also there was the bottom bracket to remove the captive nut from.

Then it was time to move onto the thremastat and clean it up to stand a chance of attacking that monster nut

Now the frightening thing I noticed was when I twisted the bottom rubber hoses around to have a look. One has a split along it's entire length :eek:

Good job I caught that one before it let go!
So then onto the oil radiator. This as you can see is an oily mess

Now I think the culprits here are the top fittings. I can rotate the pipes around on their metal pipe ends. This I don't think is how it should be. I guess the rubber has gone hard and under pressure are misting the oil over the rad.

You can clearly see the pipe ends are covered with oil....
So I have been spraying the rad on and off all day with Gunk to try and clean everything up a bit to be able to work on it.

So that is pretty much it for today. I did manage to clean the 996 though. :p

So lastly I have just found a couple more photo's of the brake rebuild

Blasted and ready for paint

I shall try and get at least some of the Pistons and seals in tomorrow.
Well that's me for now. I hope you are finding all this entertaining :grin:
The Red Baron will rise again.....

It's a good thing to get those oil pipes and coolers sorted, but I don't recall your car overheating anyway. Perhaps they had a lot more cooling that was needed. That 2 speed fan would be kicking in presumably.

It will be interesting to see how deep those pipe splits are. I suspect all our cars must be in a similar state.

Good luck with that oil pipe nut, it doesn't look like it intends turning!

I'll drop your discs back to you. They will compliment your calipers a treat.

Inspiring :worship:

Keep the photo log coming please, it's very educational for myself who is mechanically challenged :grin:

Tokyo Joe said:
Inspiring :worship:

Keep the photo log coming please, it's very educational for myself who is mechanically challenged :grin:

+1 :)

Now I know why you have that German helmet in the garage Chief :grin:

I concur with everyone else......this is a great thread. It just goes to show that how ever a good example of a 964 you buy, there will always be something to do on it. :thumb:

Thanks all for the kind comments. Boxey is right on the money with that comment.... I guess you pays your money and all that. Anyway as promised I managed to start to assemble the calipers on Sunday afternoon.

Emptying my box of brake bits, I carefully sorted through the pistons and seals to find any that might be rescued. I have complete replacements for both front calipers but the 993 C4 rears are hard to find.

First task was to get all the right sizes in the right order

After cleaning the caliper internals with brake cleaner and using cotton buds to clean the seal groove, assembly could start. Then blowing everything out with the airline it was onto the assembly. So in goes the actual piston seal.

Once in, a little clean brake fluid to lube the seal and a coating around the piston.

Piston squared up and the fitting tool used to gently wind in the piston.

Once past the seal the piston can be pushed home with the outer dust seal ready to be seated.

Right all in and onto the spring/ pad plates.

These were in need of a good clean.

The finished item ready to re-fit.

All done bar the bolts to secure the plates. These I have just picked up. I have used stainless Steel hex heads from a local machine shop. These will be installed with a little thread lock (Medium).

Lastly, good old PeterS came up trumps with getting my discs skimmed and ready for the install. Just need to replace the aging Braided Hoses with nice new Goodridge Hoses. I will make up new short metal hoses out of copper and fit everything once the oil lines have been address. The large 36mm spanner has just arrived, so the next job will be that great big Elephant in the room! Wish me luck as this next bit is going to get messy and scary expensive. I am putting stuff on Ebay to fund this like coals going into the fire box on the Flying Scotsman.....

Again, thanks for the encouragement and advise (to many to mention here) I will take more pictures at the weekend to bore you all with.
I shall also be compiling a list of parts, which will be a long one me thinks.
All the best,
The Baron

You are doing a great job. It's a real heartwarming story of how to get rid of dodgy calipers.

Reminds me of this....

OK so the Zombie Basher Spanners have arrived!
So time to get started with removing the oil pipe over the rear arch too the filter housing from the thermostat, oil cooler and the long pipes along the sill.

The oil radiator pipes came off no problem as they had been covered in oil for God knows how long...

Time to take the rear silencer off and the PU brackets to stand a chance of getting those spanners in. They are 450mm long, so take some whealding.

The fitting did not want to budge, so I cut the pipe to get the ring spanner end on for a little extra purchase.

So this is what came off :eek: It begs the question, "What are yours like?"

So now I could get the thermostat in the vise to get some heat on the other fittings to see if they wanted to play. Applying heat a number of times finaly did the trick.

A good oik on the 36mm Zombie Basher and off she came!

Not so lucky on this one. After many heat and cool cycles, nothing would budge. I cut across the nut and still nothing. Plan B was to remove the fitting from the thermostat housing. These all came off after some effort and I found that the sealing washers were just about rotted through.

So all done, I popped over to the powder coaters to grab the oil tank.

I picked up the tank and a load of brackets they had done for £45.00, which I thought wasn't to bad. And thanks to Ebay I managed to pick up the thermostat to filter housing pipe for 50 English, which help keep the costs under control. So that's it for today. Stay tuned :bye:
The Baron.

Good work Chief :thumb: I had a look at the nuts on my thermostat housing - yep very crud laden with rust. Another think added to the list :x

I take it the car will be ready for the Thursday meet :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back