Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2013 Race 3 & 4 Donnington

Porsche News

Donington Park next for Porsche Carrera Cup GB

Dean Stoneman heads the early standings
Victor Jimenez tops the Pro-Am1 pack
More drivers join the grid

Donington Park, one of the most popular venues on the schedule, is the setting for rounds three and four of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB and it is championship newcomer Dean Stoneman who currently tops the field heading into the race weekend (20/21 April).

Following the opening two races, run in bitterly cold conditions at Brands Hatch, it is Southampton-based Stoneman (Redline Racing) who has seized the early advantage after a truly impressive double win. Dean's story is remarkable as Brands was his return to racing after two years away while being treated for cancer. Before the illness struck, Dean (22) was rising rapidly up the single-seater racing ladder, but he has now re-grouped and is working to make a career as a sports and GT racer.

Backed up by the standard-setting Redline Racing, Stoneman swept to a double victory to lay down an early marker. Despite tough track conditions and strong challenges from Michael Meadows and Jonas Gelzinis, Stoneman was unfazed under pressure. He takes a seven-point lead to Donington and could now make another piece of Carrera Cup history. In terms of registered championship contenders, only Richard Westbrook had previously won his first two Carrera Cup races, back in 2003, and if Stoneman wins the opening Donington race to make it three in a row, he will set a new standard.

However, at least four drivers are all aiming to stop Stoneman winning at Donington and Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) is the man best placed to take the fight to Stoneman. The defending champion was tipped out of the battle for second in round two at Brands and dropped to ninth after a pit stop, so he already has some ground to recover.

Gelzinis (Juta Racing), Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) and Carrera Cup Scholarship racer Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) were all podium finishers at Brands and are all potential race winners in this top quality field. Meanwhile, Richard Plant (Samsung Smart Motorsport) and Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) add further quality to the Pro entry.

In Pro-Am1 it was Spanish racer Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) who set the mark at Brands with a classy double win, but George Brewster (Celtic Speed) and Redline Racing's Kyle Barnes and Yucel Ozbek all showed very good pace. Joining the Pro-Am1 pack for Donington will be brothers Michael and Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) and both of them are potential podium challengers.

Meanwhile, Peter Smallwood (Parr Motorsport) is heading the way in Pro-Am2, but can expect a fresh challenge at Donington from defending champion Will Goff (IN2 Racing) and Keith Webster (Redline Racing). Webster hopes to be fit to race after suffering a broken arm in a cycling accident last month.

After qualifying on Saturday (20 April) at 14.00, round three of the Carrera Cup GB will start at 10.00 on Sunday (21 April). Round four will start at 15.40 and will be broadcast live on ITV4.

Attachments

• donny1_212.jpg
    donny1_212.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 19,728
Goff ready for Porsche Carrera Cup GB return

Will Goff will return to the Porsche Carrera Cup GB this season, starting at Donington Park for rounds three and four over the weekend of 20/21 April.

The reigning Pro-Am2 champion will resume his Carrera Cup career with IN2 Racing after missing the opening two races at Brands Hatch over Easter. He will line up against Pro-Am2 rivals including Peter Smallwood and Keith Webster.

The 27-year old racer from Dereham in Norfolk started racing in 2007 in the Euro Saloons Championship. He first moved to a Porsche 911 GT3 Cup for 2010 in a selection of races and then stepped up to the Carrera Cup in 2012, taking the Pro-Am2 title with 11 wins.

Goff tested at Donington Park yesterday (Thursday 11 April) and will return to the East Midlands track for the official pre-race test next Thursday (18 April).

'Yesterday was just about shaking the rust off," said Goff. 'I've not been in the car since the last race of 2012 at Brands Hatch, so it was good to have a shakedown run ahead of the official Donington test day."

Attachments

• donny2_165.jpg
    donny2_165.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 19,726
Lloyd heads Porsche Carrera Cup GB Donington test

Dan Lloyd sets overall testing pace
Michael Leonard heads the Pro-Am1 times
Will Goff tops Pro-Am2

Daniel Lloyd maintained his front-running form in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB during testing at Donington Park yesterday (18 April). Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) backed up his leading pace from last week's Thruxton test to top the times ahead of this weekend's rounds three and four at the East Midlands track.

With the top three Pro drivers covered by 14-hundredths of a second, the stage is set for two thrilling races at the popular track, while the action in Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2 is likely to be just as close. Michael Leonard made it a very good day for Team Parker Racing by topping Pro-Am1, but only by a tenth of a second from his younger brother and team mate Karl. Meanwhile, Will Goff (Goff Racing) headed Pro-Am2 by a mere six-hundredths of a second from Peter Smallwood (Parr Motorsport).

On a bright but blustery day, Lloyd ended the day fastest on 1m07.553s from Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) and Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing). 'I just wanted to keep the momentum going from Thruxton," said the Carrera Cup GB Scholarship driver. 'We tried a lot of things with the car and we knew we'd find a chunk of time with the new tyres," added Lloyd.

Right behind Lloyd was defending champion Meadows. 'Our sector times look like we're really quick so I'm confident for qualifying on Saturday," said Meadows. Like most drivers, he found the strong gusts of wind blowing across the track held his attention. 'It's very close," said third fastest Gelzinis at a track where he holds the current lap record. 'I'm confident for qualifying," added the Lithuanian driver.

Into an excellent fourth, only a four-tenths of a second slower than his Samsung Smart Motorsport team mate went Richard Kent, while early championship leader Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing) was fifth fastest from Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed).

The prospects are excellent for a great contest in Pro-Am1 after only a fifth of a second covered the top four drivers. Michael Leonard narrowly set the pace from his brother Karl, Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) and Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing). 'It's going to be very tight between the four of us," said Michael Leonard. 'I've not raced since Snetterton last August, so I'm still a bit rusty. I didn't quite get the best out of the new tyres." Karl Leonard was also lacking recent seat time and thought that there was more time to come, while De Zille ran strongly following a switch to Pro-Am1.

In Pro-Am2, Goff edged Smallwood by the slenderest of margins ahead of what should be two excellent contests. 'No troubles at all," said Goff. 'We've had a very good day and we'll maybe make a few more tweaks before qualifying."

Attachments

• donny3_259.jpg
    donny3_259.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 19,673
Stoneman and Meadows share Carrera Cup GB poles

One pole position each for Stoneman and Meadows at Donington Park
Victor Jimenez and Karl Leonard head the Pro-Am1 times
Will Goff twice tops Pro-Am2

After an incredibly hard-fought qualifying session, Dean Stoneman and Michael Meadows took a pole position apiece at Donington Park today (Saturday, 20 April), ahead of rounds three and four of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB.

Lapping half a second inside the existing lap record, Stoneman (Redline Racing), Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) and Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) were covered by a tenth of a second on the grid for round three and by 13-hundredths of a second on the grid for round four. Yet all three drivers felt they could have gone quicker.

For round three, which starts at 10am on Sunday, the order is Stoneman, Meadows and Gelzinis. For round four later in the afternoon, the order will be Meadows, Gelzinis and Stoneman. In Pro-Am1, Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) and Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) shared the poles while Will Goff (Goff Racing) headed the Pro-Am2 times for both races.

'I didn't get the maximum out of the first set of tyres," reckoned Stoneman. 'There are a few tenths to come. In terms of race pace, we've got a very good set-up." Meadows had a tricky session, which was interrupted by a sensor problem and he ended up doing a second run on his first set of tyres. 'After a scrappy session like that, I was impressed with the times I did," said the reigning champion, who took pole for the later race thanks to his second best lap time. 'It was okay," said Gelzinis. 'I made a small mistake on each of my best two laps, so there was not a completely perfect lap."

Fourth for both races was less than Daniel Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) had been aiming for, after a vibration upset his first tyre run. Then, later on his second run he was hit by a throttle problem. 'I thought pole was on, but the whole session was a struggle," said Lloyd. Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) completed the top five for both grids, but will drop to P11 for round three after being awarded a six-place grid penalty from the previous race at Brands Hatch.

Jimenez drove very well to bag Pro-Am1 pole for round three after breaking the 1m08s barrier for the first time. 'That is one second faster than last year," said the Spanish racer. 'I hope for the same weather tomorrow!" Karl Leonard will be second for round three and then start from pole for round four. 'I'm happy enough," said Leonard. 'The predictive lap time showed a 1m07.7s and I was capable of doing that. I'm not getting the best out of the new tyres." Michael Leonard (Team Parker Racing) and Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) each took a third place in Pro-Am1.

In Pro-Am2, Goff headed Peter Smallwood (Parr Motorsport) by a similar margin on both grids. 'We got to exactly where we wanted to get to, but both laps had more time in them," he said.

Round 3 grid:
Pro category: 1 Dean Stoneman (1m07.195s); 2 Michael Meadows (1m07.209s); 3 Jonas Gelzinis (1m07.305s).
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Victor Jimenez (1m07.943s); 2 Karl Leonard (1m08.021s); 3 Michael Leonard (1m08.241s).
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Will Goff (1m09.224s); 2 Peter Smallwood (1m10.099s).

Round 4 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows (1m07.296s); 2 Jonas Gelzinis (1m07.417s); 3 Dean Stoneman (1m07.426s).
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Karl Leonard (1m08.098s); 2 Victor Jimenez (1m08.328s); 3 Dan De Zille (1m08.476s).
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Will Goff (1m09.269s); 2 Peter Smallwood (1m10.144s).

Attachments

• donny4_922.jpg
    donny4_922.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 19,656
Gelzinis wins Michelin award in Carrera Cup GB

Jonas Gelzinis is the second Porsche Carrera Cup GB racer of the 2013 season to benefit from Michelin's long-standing support of the championship by winning a set of tyres at Donington Park this weekend (20/21 April).

Gelzinis is one of the prime contenders for the 2013 overall title and is racing with the family-based Juta Racing. This is the fourth season that Lithuanian team has contested the Carrera Cup GB and Gelzinis finished fourth overall last season. He will start tomorrow's rounds three and four from third and second places on the grid.

Having been the control tyre supplier for the Carrera Cup GB since the championship was created in 2003, Michelin is once more supporting the teams and drivers with the award of a complete set of slick racing tyres at each event. Before the start of testing at each race weekend, a name is drawn from a hat to receive the tyres, with a value of more than £1200.

Round three of the Carrera Cup GB will start at 10.00 on Sunday (21 April). Round four will start at 15.40 and will be broadcast live on ITV4.

Attachments

• donny5_842.jpg
    donny5_842.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 19,654
Meadows takes Carrera Cup GB thriller at Donington

Michael Meadows wins absorbing round three
Karl Leonard takes Pro-Am1 victory
Will Goff wins Pro-Am2

Michael Meadows scored his first victory of the season in round three of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Donington Park today (Sunday 21 April). Meadows dived ahead when Dean Stoneman ran wide at the Old Hairpin and dropped to third behind Jonas Gelzinis.

In a race full of interest and battles all the way down the field, Karl Leonard worked through to win Pro-Am1 and Will Goff claimed Pro-Am2 victory.

Stoneman (Redline Racing) jumped into the lead at the start from Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) and Gelzinis (Juta Racing). Initially, Stoneman edged clear but Meadows mounted a dogged pursuit and by lap ten they were nose-to-tail as Meadows built the pressure on Stoneman. However, Gelzinis was also closing in after his car came-on strong as the race developed.

Meadows mounted several major attacks, but Stoneman contained his rival until they plunged into the Craner Curves on lap 18. Stoneman went in just too deep and ran wide onto the grass. In an instant, Meadows and Gelzinis went past and Stoneman damaged the splitter on the front of his car as he bounced across the grass.

Once ahead, Meadows rattled off the remaining laps for victory with Gelzinis second. 'I had run out of ideas," admitted Meadows. 'For a couple of laps I put him under pressure but he dealt with it. But I was close enough to push him into a mistake. This gets me back into the championship hunt."

Gelzinis claimed second, but admitted he had struggled early in the race. 'We went too low on the tyre pressure at the start: the lower track temperature caught us out. But in the middle of the race the car was strong," he said. Stoneman, meanwhile, was frustrated with third place and had to defend his position from Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) over the final two laps.

'It was my own fault," admitted Stoneman. 'I should have braked a metre earlier: I'm frustrated with myself." Fourth was a good result for Butcher, who started down in 11th place after receiving a six-place grid penalty from the previous race at Brands Hatch. 'I didn't realise he didn't have a splitter," said Butcher, who was being supported by backer and team patron, former Carrera Cup racer Tommy Dreelan.

Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) drove a nicely-judged race to win Pro-Am1 but only after some fierce battling with his brother and team mate Michael and Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing). Karl worked ahead when the fast-starting Michael ran wide at Redgate and when Michael later spun at McLeans, Jimenez got back to second place.

'Michael had some start," said Karl. 'I didn't make any mistakes." Jimenez clinched second while George Brewster (Celtic Speed) fought through to third after an early trip through the gravel at Redgate. 'That was very complicated and very close," said Jimenez after spending some laps sandwiched between the Leonard brothers. Even a late-race spin didn't cost Jimenez his position.

Goff (Goff Racing) always had Pro-Am2 under control as he edged away from Peter Smallwood (Parr Motorsport). 'I'd forgotten how long these races are," said Goff. 'It's just good to be back racing again." Smallwood ran second in Pro-Am2: 'He got a bit of a gap and pulled away," admitted Smallwood.

Round 3 results:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows; 2 Jonas Gelzinis; 3 Dean Stoneman.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Karl Leonard; 2 Victor Jimenez; 3 George Brewster.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Will Goff; 2 Peter Smallwood.

Attachments

• donny6_158.jpg
    donny6_158.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 19,636
Meadows completes Carrera Cup GB double at Donington

Michael Meadows wins round four in style
Karl Leonard completes Pro-Am1 double
Will Goff wins Pro-Am2 for second time

Michael Meadows made it a perfect day by winning round four of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Donington Park today (Sunday 21 April). Meadows led from the start and saw off challenges from Jonas Gelzinis and Dean Stoneman to make it a double victory.

Once again there was plenty of excellent racing down the order and it was Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) who completed a perfect return to racing by winning Pro-Am1 for the second time while there was also a double win for Will Goff in Pro-Am2. Leonard earned the driver of the weekend award, while Redline Racing was named the 'Drift team of the weekend.'

Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) got the start he wanted to lead into Redgate, but Stoneman (Redline Racing) had too much wheelspin and was bundled back to fifth place by the first corner as Gelzinis (Juta Racing) slotted into second from Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) and Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed). Stoneman quickly fought back and grabbed places back from Butcher and Lloyd with superb passing moves and then went after Gelzinis and Meadows.

The leading trio soon edged clear and Meadows steadily asserted his authority on the race to build his margin. Stoneman harried Gelzinis and got his chance when the Lithuanian racer ran wide at the Old Hairpin on lap 12. 'He made exactly the same mistake that I made in the first race," said Stoneman after easing through to second.

But the race belonged to Meadows who charged right into contention for the championship lead with a faultless day. 'It's been a fantastic weekend," said Meadows. 'I was very consistent and did what I needed to win." Stoneman was a secure second from Gelzinis and duly retained the overall championship lead. 'I just had too much wheelspin off the start and made a couple of good passing moves, then put pressure on Gelzinis."

Lloyd battled through to fourth from Richard Kent (Samsung Smart Motorsport) while Butcher dropped to sixth after a spin at the Old Hairpin. In Pro-Am1, Karl Leonard drove a fine race to win again as Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) led the chase. 'I'm delighted," said Leonard. 'Every time I get in the car I'm going quicker." For De Zille, this was his best race so far. 'It's been a scrappy season so far, so it was good to get the race I knew was there," said De Zille. Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) saw off the challenge of Michael Leonard (Team Parker Racing) to complete the Pro-Am1 podium.

In Pro-Am2, Peter Smallwood (Parr Motorsport) worked ahead of Goff (Goff Racing) in the rush to the first corner, but Goff settled down to the task ahead of him and was later able to nip ahead when Smallwood ran a little wide at Coppice. 'I just had to do a bit of racing and pick my moment," said Goff.

Round 4 results:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows; 2 Dean Stoneman; 3 Jonas Gelzinis.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Karl Leonard; 2 Dan De Zille; 3 Victor Jimenez.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Will Goff; 2 Peter Smallwood.

Attachments

• donny7_878.jpg
    donny7_878.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 19,585

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back