Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2013 Race 1 & 2 Brand Hatch

Porsche News

Porsche Carrera Cup GB season starts at Brands Hatch

Michael Meadows heads the field
Dean Stoneman to make Porsche race debut
Victor Jimenez heads the Pro-Am1 pack

Michael Meadows will open his bid to retain the championship title when the 2013 Porsche Carrera Cup GB bursts into life at Brands Hatch over the Easter weekend (30/31 March).

A line-up that includes established aces and outstanding newcomers will present a fascinating start to the new season, and a gaggle of quick racers will be bidding to prevent Meadows taking an early season advantage in a pair of races around the all-action Indy circuit at the famous Kent venue.

The opening race of the new season is another landmark for the Carrera Cup GB as the first race of the weekend will be the 200th race for the championship since it started back in 2003.

Meadows heads the entry as he bids to become only the second driver to take back-to-back titles. However, there is a very different look to the season for Meadows as he has a new team behind him: Samsung Smart Motorsport. Meadows is determined to retain the title in style, but he knows he has some fierce challengers and three of them were race winners in 2012.

Carrera Cup GB Scholarship driver Dan Lloyd returns with Team Parker Racing and is poised to capitalise on the experience gained last year. The same is true of Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) and Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed), while stand out newcomer is Dean Stoneman (Redline Racing).

Having recovered from major illness, former single-seater ace Stoneman will be a major threat as he rapidly builds experience in the 911 GT3 Cup. Alongside Stoneman will be another new name to the Carrera Cup in Dan De Zille while Richard Kent, who partners Meadows in Samsung livery, is another dark horse.

Away from the Pro category, drivers like Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing), Keith Webster (Redline Racing), George Brewster (Celtic Speed) and Peter Smallwood (Parr Motorsport) will be battling for honours.

Attachments

• brands1_258.jpg
    brands1_258.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 16,485
  • 2013_911.jpg
    2013_911.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 16,485
Stoneman tops Carrera Cup GB testing at Brands Hatch

Dean Stoneman sets testing pace ahead of championship debut
Newcomer Kyle Barnes tops Pro-Am1
Peter Smallwood heads Pro-Am2

Dean Stoneman was the fastest man in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch today (Friday 29 March) during testing ahead of the first two races of the 2013 season.

The championship newcomer turned in a great performance to top the times with an impressive new tyre run in the afternoon session for Redline Racing. He ended the day a tenth of a second ahead of Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) and Daniel Lloyd (Team Parker Racing).

On a day of very low ambient temperatures, Stoneman built up carefully to his best lap with a longer than usual run to bring his tyres up to optimum condition. 'That's only my fifth day in the car and my third time in the dry," he said. 'The second session worked really well for me but it took six or seven laps for the tyres to come in. But tomorrow is the day that counts," he added.

Defending champion Meadows headed the chase of Stoneman for the Samsung team and was strong all day, while Lloyd was right in the mix in third place. 'That's been a good day," said Lloyd after posting a best lap only 14-hundredths of a second behind Stoneman.

'We've had two good solid sessions and we know we could have done better," said Lloyd. 'I didn't get the best out of the new tyres, but we're in good shape," said the Carrera Cup Scholarship driver.

Making for a superbly competitive top six, Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed), Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) and Richard Kent (Samsung Smart Motorsport) were all right in contention after posting laps that were within 35-hundredths of a second of Stoneman. Dan De Zille (Redline Racing) continued his learning process to be seventh fastest, well in touch with the top six.

In Pro-Am1, series newcomer Barnes made it a good day for Redline Racing by heading the times by a tiny margin from George Brewster (Celtic Speed). 'It's a big learning curve and it has been a very good day," said the young South African racer after only his second day in a Carrera Cup car. 'The car is very good and the team has done a great job. I spent the first session getting back into it and then pushed in the afternoon. I found half a second in the last five laps."

Right behind Brewster was Pro-Am2 racer Peter Smallwood (Parr Motorsport), who set an impressive pace to lap less than a tenth of a second slower than Barnes.

Attachments

• brands2_193.jpg
    brands2_193.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 16,483
Butcher wins Michelin award in Carrera Cup GB

Rory Butcher is the first Porsche Carrera Cup GB racer of the 2013 season to win a set of tyres at Brands Hatch this weekend (30/31 March) as part of Michelin's long-standing support of the championship.

Butcher is one of the leading contenders for the 2013 overall title contest and is racing once more with Celtic Speed. The Scottish team is firmly established as one of the leading teams in the Carrera Cup GB and Butcher was right on the leading pace during testing at Brands Hatch today (Friday 29 March).

Having been the control tyre supplier for the Carrera Cup GB since the championship was created in 2003, Michelin is once more supporting the teams and drivers with the award of a complete set of slick racing tyres at each event. Before the start of testing at each race weekend, a name is drawn from a hat to receive the tyres, with a value of more than £1200.

Attachments

• brands3_185.jpg
    brands3_185.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 16,481
Stoneman and Meadows top Carrera Cup GB qualifying

Dean Stoneman and Michael Meadows each take a pole position
George Brewster and Victor Jimenez share the Pro-Am1 poles
Peter Smallwood heads Pro-Am2 title with a strong run

The stage is set for an epic season of racing in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB after a fiercely competitive qualifying session at Brands Hatch today (Saturday 30 March) when the overall pole positions were shared by Dean Stoneman and Michael Meadows.

As record low ambient temperatures continued at the Kent track, the pace was very hot with nine-hundredths of a second separating the top three on the grid for both of the weekend's races. In Pro-Am1 it was just as close as George Brewster and Victor Jimenez shared the top two places, with Brewster ahead for race one by two-thousandths of a second. Firmly in touch with the Pro-Am1 pack was Pro-Am2 racer Peter Smallwood.

With tyres taking longer than normal to reach optimum temperature in the very cold weather, it was Stoneman (Redline Racing) who set the absolute pace to claim pole for his debut Carrera Cup race. However, Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) was just 0.039s behind to take second and then claimed pole for the second race by 0.085s over Stoneman.

'That's not bad," said Stoneman of his session. 'The more running I do the better it is going to be," he added ominously. 'We've still got some set up work to do and I've not done a practice start yet." Meadows was right there to share the front of the grid. 'It's very close and the pace is quicker than in testing yesterday. The potential was there for two poles, but I got caught up on my second run and didn't get a proper lap on the second set of tyres."

Three more drivers lapped within of a tenth of a second of pole to show just how strong the front of the grid is, with Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed), Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) and Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) all showing their front-running pace. On the grid for round two the order will be Gelzinis, Butcher and Lloyd. 'It was just so close: really tight," said Butcher.

The situation was just as close in Pro-Am1 as Brewster (Celtic Speed) and Jimenez (Redline Racing) shared the poles with a tiny gap between them. Brewster will start ahead for round one, while Jimenez is ahead for round two. 'There just seemed to be a lack of front-end grip in the cold," said Brewster. Jimenez, meanwhile, was still tweaking his set-up after missing some of Friday's testing due to a suspension problem. Yucel Ozbek and Kyle Barnes from Redline Racing made it four Pro-Am1 drivers covered by less than half a second and Smallwood (Parr Motorsport) was right with them from Pro-Am2. 'I cannot be dissatisfied to be three-tenths away from the Pro-Am1 pole," said Smallwood.

Round 1 grid:
Pro category: 1 Dean Stoneman (46.139s); 2 Michael Meadows (46.178s); 3 Rory Butcher (46.224s).
Pro-Am1 category: 1 George Brewster (47.217s); 2 Victor Jimenez (47.219s); 3 Yucel Ozbek (47.480s).
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Peter Smallwood (47.587s).

Round 2 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows (46.216s); 2 Dean Stoneman (46.301s); 3 Jonas Gelzinis (46.310s).
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Victor Jimenez (47.248s); 2 George

Attachments

• brands4_213.jpg
    brands4_213.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 16,479
Stoneman takes Carrera Cup GB thriller at Brands Hatch

Dean Stoneman wins on championship debut
Victor Jimenez takes Pro-Am1 victory
Thrilling race in tough conditions

In his first race for two years, Dean Stoneman scored a famous victory in the opening round of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch today (Saturday 30 March). Stoneman coped with difficult track conditions, a safety car period and a strong challenge from Michael Meadows on his way to a very impressive win.

The 200th race in the history of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB delivered a superb start to the 2013 season, with action all down the field in tricky conditions due to snow showers sweeping across the Kent track. In Pro-Am1, Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) scored a well deserved victory while Peter Smallwood (Parr Motorsport) won Pro-Am2 on his championship debut.

Despite snow in the air, the field went to the grid on slick tyres and Stoneman (Redline Racing) got off the line well to lead into Paddock Hill Bend from the fast-starting Dan Lloyd (Team Parker Racing). While Stoneman set about establishing his lead, a furious battle raged for second as Lloyd and Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) traded the place several times while Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport) sat on their tail.

On lap six, Butcher and Lloyd touched at Paddock and both spun into the gravel. Butcher managed to get going again and headed for the pits with a puncture, but Lloyd was out and the safety car was deployed while his car was moved. From the re-start, Stoneman took control once more, but Meadows was now second and started a dogged pursuit of the leader as Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) went with them in third.

For lap after lap, with more snow showers coming, Meadows chased Stoneman and into the final three laps the gap was barely half a second. Even a brush with Yucel Ozbek (Redline Racing) during lappery failed to unsettle Stoneman, who had it covered and kept his cool to score a brilliant victory on his return to racing after serious illness. 'I didn't expect to ever get back in a race car, and I didn't expect weather like this," said Stoneman. 'There's a lot more to learn and towards the end I was being a bit over cautious."

'I had a good view of all the incidents," said Meadows. 'That's a really good start to the season: there was only one dry line and to attack him I'd have had to go off line onto the damp." Gelzinis completed the podium, having dropped back from the leaders in traffic, while Butcher mounted a remarkable recovery drive to fourth, despite another trip through the gravel at Paddock as he rejoined after his pit stop, which peeled the front splitter off his car. As the track dried, he fought increasing understeer.

Fifth overall and Pro-Am1 victory was a great result for Jimenez, who had to work clear of Pro-Am1 rival George Brewster (Celtic Speed). 'That was very, very difficult: I've never raced in the snow before," said the Spaniard. Brewster then had to deal with a big challenge from Ozbek as Kyle Barnes (Redline Racing) ran with them in a fine contest. 'I let the tyres get too cold under the safety car," said Brewster, who retook second from Ozbek when the Turkish racer had his moment with Stoneman.

Round 1:
Pro category: 1 Dean Stoneman; 2 Michael Meadows; 3 Jonas Gelzinis.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Victor Jimenez; 2 George Brewster; 3 Yucel Ozbek.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Peter Smallwood.

Attachments

• brands5_102.jpg
    brands5_102.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 16,477
Stoneman matches Westbrook in Carrera Cup GB history

Dean Stoneman's victory in the opening round of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch yesterday (Saturday 30 March) has made him only the second member of an exclusive club of championship contenders to win their debut race in the category.

Only Richard Westbrook had previously achieved the feat when he won his debut race at Thruxton in 2003, but Southampton-based Stoneman matched the result by winning the opening round of the 2013 championship in tough conditions.

There have been other first-time winners in the Carrera Cup, but they have all been at the wheel of a VIP entry and therefore not racing as championship contenders. Damien Faulkner, Alain Menu, Patrick Long, Andrew Kirkaldy and Nick Tandy all won first time out, so Stoneman has joined an illustrious list of drivers.

Stoneman (Redline Racing) will now go into today's round two aiming to maintain his early championship advantage and reckons he is still learning about racing the 911 GT3 Cup car. 'That was a promising start, but there is a lot more to learn," he said.

Attachments

• brands6_833.jpg
    brands6_833.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 16,475
Stoneman's double Carrera Cup GB glory at Brands Hatch

Dean Stoneman completes an impressive double win
Victor Jimenez takes second Pro-Am1 victory
Tough race for Michael Meadows after clash

Dean Stoneman completed a perfect debut weekend in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch today (Sunday 31 March) with his second race win in less than 24 hours. In another action-packed race, Jonas Gelzinis and Dan Lloyd claimed second and third, while Victor Jimenez made it a double win in Pro-Am1.

The start of the race was critical and it was Stoneman (Redline Racing) who got the best start from second on the grid to dive ahead of poleman Michael Meadows (Samsung Smart Motorsport). Things got even worse for Meadows as he was bundled down to fourth place at the opening two corners by Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) and Gelzinis (Juta Racing) as Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) joined in the contest.

Butcher quickly took the battle to Stoneman as the five-car pack went clear at the head of the race. Then, into Paddock Hill Bend for the seventh time, Butcher ran fractionally wide. Gelzinis grabbed second and Meadows dived up alongside Butcher at Druids. On the exit of the corner the cars touched and Meadows' car spun across the track and into the barriers. He managed to continue to the pits for the team to check the car and then resumed a lap down to finish ninth.

Now it was Gelzinis chasing Stoneman with Butcher and Lloyd making it a four-car pack. Finally, on lap 23 Lloyd's dogged pursuit was rewarded when Butcher ran wide at Druids and Lloyd nipped through to third place. Lloyd then closed the gap to Gelzinis, but that was how they stayed to the flag as Stoneman completed a remarkable return to racing with a beautifully judged victory. Stoneman was also awarded the 'driver of the weekend' award, while Redline Racing was named the 'Drift team of the weekend.'

'I got a good start and I was in control all the time," said Stoneman. 'I just concentrated on bringing the car home." Gelzinis was only six-tenths of a second adrift at the flag and was happy with his race pace. 'I drove a measured race and I was thinking about the championship," said Gelzinis. Lloyd, meanwhile, was pleased with third after a non-finish in the opening race. 'It's really difficult to pass round here, so to start P5 and finish on the podium is great," said Lloyd.

Behind fifth-placed Richard Kent (Samsung Smart Motorsport) came Jimenez (Redline Racing), who drove another excellent race to win Pro-Am1 after a race-long battle with Pro category racer Dan De Zille (Redline Racing). 'That was a very good race: I was fighting with De Zille and he was very good," said Jimenez. Kyle Barnes (Redline Racing) took second in Pro-Am1 to complete a good debut weekend, while George Brewster (Celtic Speed) completed the Pro-Am1 podium after a couple of spins. Pro-Am2 racer Peter Smallwood (Parr Motorsport) was sidelined by gearbox problems.

Round 2 results:
Pro category: 1 Dean Stoneman; 2 Jonas Gelzinis; 3 Dan Lloyd.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Victor Jimenez; 2 Kyle Barnes; 3 George Brewster.

Attachments

• brands7_111.jpg
    brands7_111.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 16,473

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back