Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2003 996 C4 single din to double din conversion

SH2000

Hi All,

New to the site and I am sure this will have been covered numerous times, but I have some questions which I am sure someone can help with.

1. How do I tell if my car is the 2003 on model with fibre optic MOST?
2. Where can I get the conversion kit from ie fascia surroiunds when moving AC down and cage etc
3. What is the best Nav unit with Bluetooth that is recommended price £700 - £1000
4. Can it be fitted DIY with relative ease?

I would really appreciate any help. Can anyone recommend an installer in the West Country.

Kind regards

Spencer

1. I would start by looking at the year it was registered if it's post 2003 it's likely to have the fibre link. Failing that get some stereo keys, pull it out and have a look.
2. There does not seem to be a facia kit readily available for post 2002 cup holder models. I got mine on Ebay from US. Cost over £100+import duties. Comes with AC faceplate.
3. I went for a Kenwood model no complaints yet only been installed for four days now.
4. Not that difficult all plug and play as long as you don't have the fibre link.

So if a car is older than 2003 this means it doesnt have the fibre link, does this in turn make it plug and play? Which model of kenwood have you got by the way?

andyaltz said:
So if a car is older than 2003 this means it doesnt have the fibre link, does this in turn make it plug and play? Which model of kenwood have you got by the way?

I have just finished a complete rip and replace of the factory CDR23 single din unit, CD changer and Bose amp in a 2003 turbo (MOST) which I was going to try and do a write up on with all cabling details etc if I can find the time...

Do you have a CDR23 or CDR22 radio as the CDR23 is MOST?

I used the Connect2 fascia kit to convert the dash but used the cage that came with my Pioneer App Radio 2 as I could get a better fit with that.

Best double din unit is a matter of personal preference... I like the App Radio as it uses my iPhone 4S as the brain meaning I can run Waze for sat nav and all the other associated apps for music etc.

If you have a MOST based car then the install is more involved as you need to swap out the amp and run RCA cables from head unit to amp, then rewire amp to speaker connectors. You also need to locate illumination and switched 12v sources for the head unit.

Depends on your experience and confidence levels... I have worked on several of my own cars over the years and this was definitely the most involved job in terms of additional wiring, building looms, running cables etc.

CDR23: (MOST)
cdr-23.jpg

CDR22:
9067B4907194420D99DB8B5AF0C43D38.jpg

Thanks for the reply's, I have the CRD 23, so definitely not a job I am going to tackle.

I have looked at the following units and don't know which one to choose. I am wanting decent sound, but more importantly want functionality and tech.

Pioneer AVIC-F40BT
SONY XNV-L77BT
Kenwwod DNX-7210BT

Thanks

Hi rmaurer

any pictures of what your Pioneer set up looks like.

thanks

Ok let's see if this works (linking photos from Google+)...
These were taken in my garage last night via iPhone so not great quality but hopefully show enough detail:

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

I removed the Bose amp and CDC4 changer and in its place installed a Kenwood KAC-X5D 5 channel amplifier using the CD changer bracket (after a bit of bending and dremel action):

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

All the amp adjustments are freely available through the changer slot opening. I will try and get a full write up posted in the next day or 2 including some wiring hints.

Thanks for posting the pictures, it looks very neat and professional. I am going to a car audio centre in Taunton tomorrow to see what can be done with my car.

The idea of me with a grinder in the car doesn't bear thinking about!

Another pic for you of my double din install which I left to the professionals!
Its the Pioneer 2400 which has everything I want or need minus the satnav, I have now relocated my ipod to the glovebox and feed the lead underneath and through the back of the glovebox. Possible only complaint is that the USB/aux socket is on the front of the unit as you can see which maybe detracts from the aesthetics although on the plus side it does keep your options open as to what to attach be it your usb stick, external device or ipod.

Attachments

• pioneer_181.jpg
    pioneer_181.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 10,650
I mounted my fascia (stereo surround) like stokepotter with the radius part at the top, where the OP has put it to the bottom. Which is the 'correct' way?

Attachments

• new_dash_157.jpg
    new_dash_157.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 10,630

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thatandywhite
Back