Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 GT3 3.8litre 469bhp from £100,540 - Full press pack

Senoj said:
Roro said:
Yep, that's what RPM quoted, can't imagine an OPC would be cheaper :?:

I could actually. But, almost worth joing the Porche club for the 10% discount :lol:

I just got a quote from an OPC, price is 2820 inc VAT + fitting which would probably be about 150 + VAT. However like you say knock off about £300 for PCGB membership.

The price is clearly a deterrent, to stop paupers like me getting a RS4.0 wheel and sticking it on an older GT3 :roll:

Does anyone know what model this steering wheel is? I'll get a quote for a manual version - might buy it and get it retrimmed and beefed up RS-stylee.

I really hate my steering wheel, have done ever since I bought the car!

2011-porsche-911-carrera-gts-cabriolet-steering-wheel-photo-382063-s-1280x782.jpg

Why not get a PDK sports wheel instead? Ok so it's clad in leather rather than alcantara, nor will it have the coloured top centre line, but is nonetheless very similar... :?:

Attachments

• wheely_nice_154.jpg
    wheely_nice_154.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 4,526
Yep, that's what I want to explore - I'll get it retrimmed in alcantara (red and black probably, then get the gear lever redone in red alcantara to match :grin: )

Just need to know what the model number / name is of that steering wheel so I can get a quote... If anybody knows please PM me (.... seem to have gone off topic here... !)

...Back on topic, technology moves the game on again...and apparently,
in every way the new model is quicker than all of the previous normally
asprated GT cars...inc the 4.0L :roll:.....

Is it more fun to drive ?...more involving ?...more fun ?..probably not,
but it's ''new'', and for that reason it'll sell. I made the call to my OPC,
who very kindly gave me a couple of extra days to get my deposit in
ahead of them opening the flood gates next Monday...
I'm going to sit tight and wait for a 997 GT2 RS...but hey, they're fetching
huge money..apparently one changed hands this week for £180k !!. Now,
that's light years too much money....crazy price, and clearly a long term
investment for someone.

I've apparently got the no1 birth for the next RS when it comes out...so who knows ?.. :grin:

chimp911 said:
Why not get a PDK sports wheel instead? Ok so it's clad in leather rather than alcantara, nor will it have the coloured top centre line, but is nonetheless very similar... :?:

The wheel design is called "SportDesign" and is available with or without paddles (ie manual or PDK) and for PDK, with or without Launch Control (SportChrono) confirmation lighting.

SportDesign wheel ex-PDK is circa £1,200

19717d1312914102-sport-design-steering-wheel-sportdesignsteeringwheel.jpg

or just buy new SportDesign rim and reuse your current airbag, squib ring and horn push (circa £900):

6f5781ca70793fb3cb273936fb56d8e0.jpg

GT4 said:
chimp911 said:

The wheel design is called "SportDesign" and is available with or without paddles (ie manual or PDK) and for PDK, with or without Launch Control (SportChrono) confirmation lighting.

SportDesign wheel ex-PDK is circa £1,200

19717d1312914102-sport-design-steering-wheel-sportdesignsteeringwheel.jpg

or just buy new SportDesign rim and reuse your current airbag, squib ring and horn push (circa £900):

6f5781ca70793fb3cb273936fb56d8e0.jpg

That's a seriously nice steering wheel... :wink:

I spoke to Hatfield about this wheel on Friday, 1600 inc VAT. Price is for the wheel itself and the airbag module. PCGB membership will apparently only give me 5% off (I was hoping for 10%, but apparently the higher discount is only for the faster turnover parts not special tequipment parts like this).

Interestingly though they weren't able to confirm that this 7.2 wheel will fit my 7.1. They said they'll speak to Porsche and call me back to confirm. :dont know:

I was also told that the airbag from my wheel wouldn't fit as the dimensions are different... would be nice to know whether that is true or not.... I feel a trip to an OPC showroom with a tape measure is on the horizon...

Ideally I'd like to buy this wheel and re-trim it in red/black alcantara and thicken up the dimensions to make it more chunky.

nick w said:

Good article :thumb:

The more I think about it the more I reckon Porsche are in danger of losing their core (current) market for the GT3. Current buyers I think generally want a light, direct, basic-ish, relatively cost effective 911 that is track focused. Motorsport heritage through the engine is obviously very important too as it adds kudos and halo factor.

... I've just watched the Preuninger interview again and the new car is just ... Too much... Everything... Heavier, bigger, more technology, more complicated, more expensive to buy and will be more expensive to maintain especially if tracked. I mean 4 wheel steer? 20" wheels?? Not to mention the electric steering and PDK and all the other stuff I don't understand. I think the GT3 has entered it's Fat Elvis period. It's gone all Las Vegas on us.

(I'm clearly the world authority on this topic now, y'know, being a current GT3 owner and having done.... Ooooh, 2, trackdays ... :floor: )

Always better to have a spare hand, rather than having the exertion of stirring a gear lever.

elvis-burger-full.jpg

Many thought the 996 would be found slumped on the throne, but the success of the GTs that followed would prove otherwise - it'll be quite some time before 911 has left the building...

I'd put a small wager on seeing a clutch pedal appearing on a PDK'd RS... :?:

chimp911 said:
Many thought the 996 would be found slumped on the throne, but the success of the GTs that followed would prove otherwise - it'll be quite some time before 911 has left the building...

I'd put a small wager on seeing a clutch pedal appearing on a PDK'd RS... :?:

Nice idea, and no doubt a popular one too...unless the RS had a big power
hike + weight reductions the cooking GT3 would be a fair bit quicker... :wink:

..and not to mention the humungous costs in re-tooling for a manual
box..etc. I understood that Porsche did investigate both options, and
it was apparently deliberated for a good while...PDK v Manual, and PDK
won out... :roll:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member