Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Experience at Silverstone Today

Jam911

Albert Park
I was very lucky to be invited to Silverstone today to drive the 991 C2 and C4S both manual and PDK.

What a great day it was too.

I got to thrash round in both cars, on various tracks and skid pans.

As I have a 997 C4S myself, I was always going to be biased towards the C4S but the are both great cars.

The red strip across the back of the C4S lifts the car into spaceship territory INHO !!

To be honest I didn't notice any detraction in having the new electric steering, the 400hp was a real kick in the pants and I can't think how quick a turbo will be.

I love the new interior, the bigger sunroof and the sound of the sports exhaust seems a leap forward.

But I hate the American push button handbrake.

As for the PDK I didn't think I would like it and would always prefer a manual box, so you can drive a car properly.

But forget that , I want one , brake hard into a corner and the car blips the throttle on the downshift, its a dangerous to your license and having a stereo that plays louder the faster you go !!

What a great day.

I was asked if they (Porsche) tried to sell me anything and I replied no there was no Sales Pitch at all.

Only because they don't need to.

I am sold, I want a 991 PDK C4S...Job Done Porsche !!!

Sounds like you had a fantastic time!! I've done a couple of these Porsche Experience days before, they're always good fun and well run. I'm thinking of doing the GT course, the one with the 4.0RS, in the New Year some time. Nice facilities over in Silverstone :thumb:

Nice.... how did you manage to blag that experience? :)

Zantaz said:
Nice.... how did you manage to blag that experience? :)

Usually just by asking the marketing department to put your name down on a list. That's what I did last year and was invited to drive a C2 GTS. Amazing experience as Jam911 has just described.

~ Maxie :thumbs:

For me, an OPC invited me after trying to get me to test a 991 and me always being too busy to do it, so they booked me in..

I was there too

_____

I was there too, had a great time.

The Skid plate is awesome FUN!

Jam911 said:
To be honest I didn't notice any detraction in having the new electric steering,

What, you didn't notice the wibbly-wobbly steering :wink: that everyone talks about even though they don't own a 991.

Just buy one :thumb:(or wait until I sell mine next March)

I don't think you need to own a 993 or 997 or 991 to pass judgement on how it feels.

You just need to have felt it.

:yeah:

I don't think you need to own a 991 either, a few extended test drives are enough to form a valid opinion. Motoring journalists don't generally own the cars they test, yet the verdict has been nearly unanimous against the 991's steering quality.

The feel, or lack of it, is important when things start to go wrong and / or you're on the limit. When a car with electric steering is about to understeer it takes longer to notice than with non-electric, and unless you're Walter Rohrl, it's those fractions of a second that can mean the difference between rescuing the situation or stuffing it. If you're just pootling down to Waitrose then it won't matter much, but, if you're gunning up and down the twisties, electric is definitely not a step forward for the average 911 driver, as compared to hydraulic.

GT4 said:
I don't think you need to own a 993 or 997 or 991 to pass judgement on how it feels.

You just need to have felt it.

How come the naff steering car is quicker than a GT3 at the 'Ring' if it's that bad?

This super steering that previous models have, is that the strange joggling feeling through the steering wheel when cornering hard.

I've noticed this on 996/997.2 and a car I used to own a GT3

You may have had a test drive but you need to live with the car before you can really appreciate how it feels.

When you're young and have just learned to ride a bike, you can do so but the more you ride the better you are at it?

There is always criticism of any new model from existing owners no what make of car, some of it is just sour grapes and some not

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back