Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

930 turbo vague front end at high speed

Hywelrsvr

Hi all, Over about 70mph it's all bait vague and not planted.

I have 30,000 miles, new tyres etc what do I start with?

I have a big shopping list but do I need new dampers, bushes etc all round to make it really work?

Thanks

This may sound a bit bonkers, but does it settle down if you go a bit faster?

I spent a day with CAT DT recently and found that my car (996) goes through a light patch then firms up. I was told that the centre of air pressure on the car moves further forward from the roof tot the windscreen to the bonnet the faster you go, helping to tie down the front end.

Hi

Is the car on the original suspension? If so then after this length of time you can expect some of the rubber components to have gone off. As for the dampers, well, I would be changing those if original!

I an not familiar with the 930 front end, but if it has any rubber bushings in there then they will want changing if original.

All the best

Berni

Greg66 said:
I spent a day with CAT DT recently and found that my car (996) goes through a light patch then firms up. I was told that the centre of air pressure on the car moves further forward from the roof to the windscreen to the bonnet the faster you go, helping to tie down the front end.

Is there an aerodynamicist in the house? This is interesting.

~ Maxie :chin:

Greg66 said:
This may sound a bit bonkers, but does it settle down if you go a bit faster?

I spent a day with CAT DT recently and found that my car (996) goes through a light patch then firms up. I was told that the centre of air pressure on the car moves further forward from the roof tot the windscreen to the bonnet the faster you go, helping to tie down the front end.

Not that I noticed!

But I'm not that brave with no power steering I would expect to be able place it on a coin but I'm nowhere near, think the bushes and dampers should do it, but I like your idea.

Thanks

Maxie said:
Greg66 said:
I spent a day with CAT DT recently and found that my car (996) goes through a light patch then firms up. I was told that the centre of air pressure on the car moves further forward from the roof to the windscreen to the bonnet the faster you go, helping to tie down the front end.

Is there an aerodynamicist in the house? This is interesting.

~ Maxie :chin:

I'm no aerodynamicist, but do think that that that could only make sense if the 996 had aerodynamic downforce on the front end (as opposed to lift).
It doesn't, by a long way. :dont know:

Hywelrsvr said:
Hi all, Over about 70mph it's all bait vague and not planted.

I've never driven a 930 Turbo, but the model is famous for being a car for fans of sweaty palms. Your car may well be perfectly normal. :dont know:

You have to remember these cars, are over twenty years old people.
They will not drive like todays cars, also things like shocks and bushes are
often overlooked by many 930 owners they
are the last things that people replace as well. You would be surprised how tight and firm a new set of shocks etc, make a 930 drive better.
These cars have no driver aids like PAS etc.
When I was looking for a 930, I drove many they were all not the same ride.

Just asking has the car been in a accident before maybe?

SEE YA said:
You have to remember these cars, are over twenty years old people.
They will not drive like todays cars, also things like shocks and bushes are
often overlooked by many 930 owners ans are the last things that people replace as well. You would be surprised how tight and firm a new set of shocks etc, make a 930 drive better.
These cars have no driver aids like PAS etc.
When I was looking for a 930, I drove many they were all not the same ride.

Just asking has the car been in a accident before maybe?

Hi - See Ya!

I completely agree, and it's booked in for new bushes and shocks at GT1 - and I really look forward to driving the car after that.

No happily it hasn't been in an accident I had a full pre-purchase Porsche Inspection undertaken pre-purchase.

I think it's as you say - just very tired rubber.

Cheers

Vague front end

Just to complete this thread I took the 930 to GTOne who did a geometry check and took a lot of money and didn't fix the problem at all.

Then it went to Autofarm who rechecked the geometry and found it was way off and when all was released found that it had been screwed tight on one wheel only. So after being reset and new rear dampers its fabulous.

Thanks for the advice.

Good news, there are many 930's out there and the shocks are so often overlooked by owners.

When I was looking for a 930, not one had there shocks replaced.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back