Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tip vs Manual comparisons at 'having fun' speeds

nick w said:
T8996C4 said:
So ........... when do manual drivers use their 5th gear :?:

The Ring ..............Flugplatz (car is more settled there in 5th) Schwedenkreuz, the run up through Kesselchen to Klostertal, Planzgarten (combo of 4th & 5th) and of course Dottinger Hohe ......

Yep, that's about what I thought :judge:

One of the the real benefits of the Tip is city driving, when you don't have to suffer endless leg & arm movements or better still a traffic jam giving you a chance to relax and put your slippers on. :D

Cracking read, and thanks T8 for starting it :D

Ive been pondering the 911 daily for a while now and this summer im taking the leap. Hearts set on a 996.2 sub 90k miles (pref a C4s). But there is an aweful lot more choice of colour and specs in the Tip world to manual.

I have a race car and love that kind of driving, but this is just for my daily so will always going to be a bit of a compromise. Having never owned an Auto ive driven plenty of BMW flappy paddles and do think the lazy "auto-esque" will suit the daily bimble, while the buttons help get it poking on the country roads.

So thank you, im now not too permissive of the Tip box and will at least go give it a go :)

Thanks,

Andy

andylang said:
So thank you, im now not too permissive of the Tip box and will at least go give it a go :)

Sounds like a very reasonable conclusion :thumb:

And now you can have paddle shifters retro-fitted to your Tiptronic wheel (or a manual wheel in fact), you can bring the 'manual' gear change side of things bang up to date too.

Good luck with the search for your 996 :D

pj_sibley said:
andylang said:

Sounds like a very reasonable conclusion :thumb:

And now you can have paddle shifters retro-fitted to your Tiptronic wheel (or a manual wheel in fact), you can bring the 'manual' gear change side of things bang up to date too.

Good luck with the search for your 996 :D

Ohhhhh really?! Paddle shifts on the wheel - will certainly look into this and buy a manual wheel if I do indeed end up with a Tip box

:bandit:

WOW!!! Thanks T8 :worship:

Looking perfect and kind of pushing me towards preferring a triptronic so that I can get some flappy paddles fitted! Only £400, and looks almost OE.

Having a good read of that other thread :D

...before settling for a Tip' I looked at and drove a manual 996.

My preference, ultimately, was the choices offered by the auto; the fact that the gear changes are perfect and you are always in the right gear...when driven in manual mode it's awesome...both hands on the wheel so you have complete control and holding onto gears and then flicking up and down the box....wonderful!

And then you reach a city/town etc or simply want to bimble and you nip it into D and relax...superbly adaptable...

Plus no clutch replacement costs or manual box issues and the potential in the future that purchasers now used to autos in sports cars (modern paddle shifts) etc will be attracted to Tips rather than put off as has been the case historically...

You genuinely can't lose...

Is this a record for thread resurrection?

'Plus no clutch replacement costs or manual box issues' ... over to you T8
:whistle: I'll await my usual rebuke for mentioning your utilisation of the warranty. :hand: :hammer: :coat:

smigga said:
As a side note, do tip users tend to use buttons in manual when having fun or just use D?
I do miss judging the engine speed with my left foot between changes but find the tip excellent and a very smooth way to change up/down in a blink! :thumbs:

Dave
I'd recommend getting the paddle shift conversion to your steering wheel if you want to get the best from your tip. Much preferable to the buttons!

When your wife only drives automatics you have to make the most of what you have, how else do you get back from the pub

Attachments

• b769e7b4_72ba_4d98_b94b_c88b35baab58_203.jpeg
    b769e7b4_72ba_4d98_b94b_c88b35baab58_203.jpeg
    959.6 KB · Views: 2,789
The first time I drove a 911 it was a friends 996.2 C2 manual
After 10 mins I knew I had to get a 911

Test drove some manuals and tips but bought a Tip it for me is the best of both worlds in traffic effortless in M exciting with almost instantaneous gear changes

Never been a fan of the buttons but the paddle shift conversion is on my
Wish list

I bought my c4s last year having previously owned a e93 dct m3. I was convinced auto was the only way for all my cars. I actually bought an auto c4s which I owned for a week before sending back to the dealer for unrealed issues. Re the auto I found it sluggish and not as responsive as I would have liked. (Most likely coming from a dct) i then bought a manual which to me
Personally feels a lot better and pushes more. Obv sitting in traffic with a foot on the clutch is a downside lol..

I have heard the pdk is much better but was out of my price range for a c4s

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back