Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3rd question of the day... Tip box pulling away in 1st?

smigga

Imola
I first noticed at the end of our Sunday out last week that we were pulling off in 1st for 100yds or so then smooth up to 2nd, I took her to work with me today and she was still doing it on first pull away after start up but then once on the go back to pulling away in 2nd? I actually prefer 1st gear pull off but I know its not normal, I do flick it down to 1st quite often, does the box have facility to remember this?? Drives fine otherwise :dont know:

Dave

I think that is normal as it will only pull away in 1st when teh engine is cold. all other times 2nd is the default - unless of course you floor it :hand:

Zingari said:
I think that is normal as it will only pull away in 1st when teh engine is cold. all other times 2nd is the default - unless of course you floor it :hand:

Correct :thumb:

yep mine does this for a short while until theres some heat then starts in 2nd

Might be talking sheeeiite here but I was led to believe that the tip box has some fancy ECU that provides an adaptive function which allows the box to relatively quickly adapt and adjust itself to your driving style thus if you regularly ask it to pull away in 1st it will begin to do it without asking.

I'm sure some proper clever geezer will be along soon (when he's finished his latest 993 mod!).

Apologies if that is all Taurus faecalis!

pulling away in first

hi there
a trick i have found is this
the car will start in first when cold (until the coolant has reached 40c i think)
but if you want to force it to pull away in 1st gear at lights or similar then dont leave the lever in D while waiting for them to change
instead slip into N and when lights change pull to D and hey presto 1st gear will engage and you can pull away in first
the ecu will change up sooner if you are gentle with the throttle but if you are fairly aggressive will remain in 1st

it will select 1st if you don't accelerate too while stationary (if you change to N then to D again while stationary) but after a few seconds reselects 2nd so often goes unnoticed

have fun killing your car with this as one :)
Tim

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back