Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mobile Phone insurance - WTF

Zingari

Brands Hatch
Chums

As most of you will know I much prefer the phone that has a wire for plugging into a socket but daughter's tastes are somewhat more 'out there'.

Well the time has come for her to move onto the iPhone and I have been tasked with sorting the contract (given that I will be paying for the bloody thing) and the Insurance.

Contract sorted :thumb: However Insurance is a different matter. :pc:

Firstly it is impossible to insure a phone for someone less than 16yrs (fortunately we get past that in a few months) as part of the 'immediate family' cover and secondly the exlcusions determining theft and loss defy logic :x

Take this extract from a 'platinum' policy to include loss:

EXCLUSIONS

This certificate DOES NOT cover:

Theft or loss of the Product

a) whilst kept in an unattended motor vehicle unless the
vehicle is locked and all protections are in operation and
the Product is concealed in a locked glove box (all
vehicles) or the boot of the vehicle (saloon cars), under the
rear parcel shelf (hatchback cars and 4x4 vehicles) or in the
spare wheel compartment (estate cars) so that forced and
violent entry into the car is required. A copy of the repairer's
account for such damage to the vehicle must be supplied
with any claim. Theft or damage from side pockets and any
other interior space of the vehicle other than those specified
will not be covered;

b) from any commercially registered vehicle;

c) from any property, place or premises unless the theft has
been accompanied by forced and violent entry or exit to the
property, place or premises;

d) whilst in any form of public transport or public place other
than when the Product is taken from You by actual or
threatened force;

e) unless accompanied by a Crime or Lost Property
Reference number (refer Exclusion 2f below). Lost Property
numbers are not acceptable in support of a Theft claim;

I have highlighted the key exclusions and wonder what actually satisfies a loss as clearly when in a public place, on/in public or commercial transport you cannot 'lose' it - unless force or threatened force is used (I think that actually fits the definition of robbery?)

Equally a theft (eg in the belief you have been the subject of a pick-pocket) in the absence of evidence is often categorised by police as a loss for which you will get a 'loss' report number. You then tell said Insurance company it was stolen reporting it as a theft, its recorded as a loss which is excluded. :pc:

Needless to say I didn't go with the above company but found one a little better worded but left me with little confidence they will pay for a loss.

And they wonder why Insurance fraud is so rife :nooo:

I've been on contract with Orange since '93 and have never had Insurance.

I work on building sites.

I have lost count of the number of phones I have broken.

I call them, they send me a replacement the next day, free.

The last one was replaced a month before my free upgrade, so I kept it boxed, used an old handset for a few weeks, upgraded to a new one and sold the replacement one on Ebay.
:?

I honestly don't know why I would pay for Insurance.
:?:

clarkycat said:
I've been on contract with Orange since '93 and have never had Insurance.

I work on building sites.

I have lost count of the number of phones I have broken.

I call them, they send me a replacement the next day, free.

The last one was replaced a month before my free upgrade, so I kept it boxed, used an old handset for a few weeks, upgraded to a new one and sold the replacement one on Ebay.
:?

I honestly don't know why I would pay for Insurance.
:?:

I suspect you have a Nokia 3310, not an iphone!

:)

This one isnt so bad: (this is one from a broker we deal with the claims for)

Level of Cover Accidental Damage, Theft, Accidental Loss (Mobile Phones Only), Breakdown, Worldwide Cover
Electronic Gadgets: Mobile Phone, PDA, SatNav, iPod/MP3, Laptop, Camera, Portable DVD,Portable Gaming Console, ITablets & Kindles, LCD Monitors
Single Article Limit £500.00 on Gold Policy, or £1000 on Platinum £25.00 Excess or £50.00 A/D Excess
Proposer's Gadgets Only
EXCLUSIONS
Accidental Damage
Excluding
Deliberate.
Routine Servicing/Maintenance or Cleaning.
Any Cosmetic Damage.

Theft
Excluding
From an unattended vehicle unless in a locked boot or glove compartment. All doors & windows are locked & all security systems are activated.
Theft from a building unless forcible entry used.
Any gadget left unattended.
Any theft not reported to the police within 24 hours.

Accidental Loss
Excluding
The loss of electronic gadget other than you mobile phone or PDA.
The loss of a SIM card.

Breakdown
Excluding
Any breakdown for laptops.
Repair / Routine Servicing / maintenance or cleaning.
Wear or tear.
If the serial number has been tampered with.

General Exclusions
Excluding electrical items over 36 months old & purchased outside the UK.
Excluding Loss or damage to accessories of any kind.
Excluding cost of any unauthorised calls (Loss/Theft of Mobile).
The first £25.00 of each claim or £50.00 for accidental damage claims.
Where reasonable precautions have not been taken.
Loss of data or software

clarkycat said:
<sensible stuff>
Completely agree, and I've never had Insurance (or lost) a mobile in nearly 20 years either but I suspect it's very different for 15/16 year olds who I guess potentially leave them on buses / get them stolen / break them every other week...

Ant Blain said:
I suspect it's very different for 15/16 year olds who I guess potentially leave them on buses / get them stolen / break them every other week...

How very true :pc: I'm not having much luck with Insurance at the moment as the dog has just had its cruciate ligament done. Given the limitations on the policy and the fact the operation cost £2.5k I may have to resort putting a kidney on eBay :x

I wouldn't mind but the dog is shite at football and I've had it no end from Mrs Zingari telling me I should have got a higher level of cover :wack:

There are lots of different companies that offer Insurance, my 13 YO has none as I've told him if it's lost he's paying. Guess what he's never lost it and I've saved a small fortune.

Never had Insurance and never lost a phone. Payfor it on a Credit Card and get it free?

from experience, take out Insurance but never tell 'em.

as far as teens are concerned: you lose you pay, just good discipline.

PeterS said:
I suspect you have a Nokia 3310, not an iphone!

Christ, I've got a mint 3330 in the drawer!

I can have whatever handset I want, I use blackberry as it's handy for work. I don't carry any phone at weekends, I promote the old fashioned 'not being in'. This drives people nuts mindn and my folks are both elderly and ill, but living just waiting for 'that' call is a lot of poor quality living IMO.
:thumb:

I would rather stuff as many lightbulbs as I can up my arse then enter an arse kicking contest than own another Apple product.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back