Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Why have Admiral written my car off?

surfymark said:
apw2007 said:
This seems odd. I don't recall ever being asked if I had ever had a car stolen.

M

This happened about 15 years ago so might have exact details wrong - next time I see him I'll ask him what the outcome was.

Mistakes at HPI are very common.
if a car has been stolen and recovered and the Insurance company has paid the previous owner, then it will be recorded. sometimes as category 'X'

many car has been stolen then recovered the next day, after the police have been informed? once the car is reported as stolen it then goes on the theft register at HPI, if its recovered undamaged/ light cosmetic damage it should be deleted from the theft register

2 years later the owner is trying to sell it and it shows as being recorded, a phone call to HPI who then raise a query with the Insurance company can result in the stolen / recovered category being removed.
although in my experience this only happens where the Insurance co have not paid out for the full value of the car and have only paid a claim for the locks to be changed and cosmetic work i.e. slashed hood, kerbed alloy, scratches on the door, broken glass etc

Admiral is adamant that the car will stay on the MIATFR database.
It spent 12 hrs away from my house, it is undamaged, it was not red lined, it has been checked out by OPC and all fine, yet it's now pretty much worthless.
WTF, who on earth is this database helping? If the car was written off, fine, but it's not... Admiral say it's the history of the car and it stops people buying SR cars... Great, thanks Admiral you have stopped anyone buying my car.
Next time, NO TRACKER, do not ever try to recover a stolen car, you will be shafted.

I suggest everyone cancel their Tracker subscriptions, I also suggest everyone check the wording of their Insurance policies, returning the car to the owner in the same condition as it left them, means just that, a polished turd!!
Admiral specifically excludes any diminished value of the car resulting from a claim.
The database is for box tickers, how they can claim it's the definitive history of the car baffles me, it doesn't record the self repaired death traps, or the car that's spent its entire life on the track.
Why can it not at least say, recovered <12hrs, No damage!! If it records details at least be accurate!

The car check even dumbs it down for the f@ckwits that administer it.. "This is bad"

Attachments

• sr_698.jpg
    sr_698.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 10,013
I'm very sorry for you mate.
:(

Looks like the only way to use a tracker is to not report the theft, track it yourself, find it, repair it, tell no-one.

:?

911C996TT said:
Admiral is adamant that the car will stay on the MIATFR database.
It spent 12 hrs away from my house, it is undamaged, it was not red lined, it has been checked out by OPC and all fine, yet it's now pretty much worthless.
WTF, who on earth is this database helping? If the car was written off, fine, but it's not... Admiral say it's the history of the car and it stops people buying SR cars... Great, thanks Admiral you have stopped anyone buying my car.
Next time, NO TRACKER, do not ever try to recover a stolen car, you will be shafted.

I suggest everyone cancel their Tracker subscriptions, I also suggest everyone check the wording of their Insurance policies, returning the car to the owner in the same condition as it left them, means just that, a polished turd!!
Admiral specifically excludes any diminished value of the car resulting from a claim.
The database is for box tickers, how they can claim it's the definitive history of the car baffles me, it doesn't record the self repaired death traps, or the car that's spent its entire life on the track.
Why can it not at least say, recovered <12hrs, No damage!! If it records details at least be accurate!

The car check even dumbs it down for the f@ckwits that administer it.. "This is bad"

This doesn't sound at all right to me.

I would call them back and ask for the car to be removed. If they say the same thing, ask to speak to their superior.

I would also give the ombudsman a call. I would suggest going to the press but that may put your car in print which would be bad when and if you wanted to sell it.

HTH
M

surfymark said:
This doesn't sound at all right to me.

I would call them back and ask for the car to be removed. If they say the same thing, ask to speak to their superior.

HTH
M

+1

APW
The Insurance company subsequently cancelled his policy and refused to refund him his payment saying he had committed fraud by not divulging the 'theft'. I never heard the outcome but remember him being very stressed at the time.
Have to be very careful on that one. If your friend was using the monthly finance scheme he could have scored a CIFAS against his name on his credit rating. I went to buy a new sirocco for the partner only to find VW put one on me when I applied for credit. Apparently if you move house make sure you join the electoral role at the new address, Until you do your still on the electoral role at the old address, Cost me £275 in solicitors fees for which VW would not refund. I'll never buy a VW and I dumped the sale. :x

have you contacted HPI to see whats recorded?
if it is recorded explain what happened to the car and ask what can be done about it?

happy to help if youd like to give me a ring

This might be the dumbest question in the thread, but why doesn't the OP just take the payout, hand the car over and go and buy another one?

I assume there's no gap Insurance in place, or surely this would be like Christmas coming early. But even without, might the loss the OP incurs be less than the loss of having S/R stamped on your vehicle's history?

As an aside, I wonder how Gap insurers feel about being asked to payout return to invoice on a total loss, when the car is still sitting there undamaged???

This is a bizarre tale indeed.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back