Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My blue C2 964 rebuild thread

ras62 said:
There is no VAT on that so called Invoice. I cant imagine any half decent Garage not being VAT registered, even the cheque is made payable to a person not the business. All very peculiar.

The labour rate suggests a hobby mechanic (under VAT threshold) and goes some way to explain the bodge-up - inexperience.

OK, a brief update.

The bill for the bits is over £8000.

I desperately wanted this finished so I could use it for the Isle Of Skye trip at the end of the month. It could just about be done, so long as there were no further mishaps, for example if the old crankcase studs break.

So I am now on plan B.

I have to accept that if I am spending the best part of £12K then there is no point rushing it, just so I can enjoy a weekend blat. I will have to use the 996.

There is a site called RosePassion in France that has parts a bit cheaper (looks like about 20% less than what my Indy was going to have to pay, so I am at present pricing it all up from there.

This will slow things down so it will now become a winter project, and will make sure everything is spot-on.

I'm gutted, but in the long term it will be the right decision.

PeterS said:
OK, a brief update.

I have to accept that if I am spending the best part of £12K then there is no point rushing it, just so I can enjoy a weekend blat.

Also dont forget that the car will need to be run in for a good c700 ish miles and then its advisable to take back to get everything re-torqued.

The run in miles are perhaps the most boring you will ever do.

Definately the right decision to take your time. :thumb:

Perhaps not the outcome you were hoping for but at least you can relax and enjoy the roads and scenery in Skye (subject to weather) rather than constantly checking your rear view for lost bits of your engine...

GURU2000 said:
Maybe consider getting the engine run in professionally

I had mine done by BS Motorsport in feb/march time.

http://www.bsmotorsport.co.uk/index.asp

For me after spending all that money, I wanted to be confident that my car was properly run in and set up right.

Without doubt this is one thing that I will not be having done.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

PeterS said:
GURU2000 said:

For me after spending all that money, I wanted to be confident that my car was properly run in and set up right.

I'd never even heard of anyone else running an engine in for you. Can you imagine Kwik Fit offering this service, the engine would be ragged daily buy some 18 year old. BS Motorsport also sound like a name I would use if I was racing cars.

infrasilver said:
PeterS said:
GURU2000 said:

I'd never even heard of anyone else running an engine in for you. Can you imagine Kwik Fit offering this service, the engine would be ragged daily buy some 18 year old. BS Motorsport also sound like a name I would use if I was racing cars.

The professionally run in engines are done on the dyno before they are fitted into the car are they not?

I can see the merit on a racing engine. But in your position I'd want to see every mile myself and not commit to spending more money. I guess it's safe to say that this one is a 'keeper' Pete?

MC

Yes this one's a keeper.

However please make the distinction between me and you.

You are a hoarder! There is a differance!

:D

Exactly dream 911.

The professionally run in engines are done on the dyno before they are fitted into the car.

It's done over a 10 or 12 hour period going through the rev range and professionally mapped.

It's a luxury not a necessity!

Hey Pete, blimey, what a story.......lucky we didnt have to give you a lift back from Le Mans!!!

Wow....some project mate, I can't believe the price of the re-build, best part of £12k is another 964! Mind you it sounds like it'll be an absolute weapon when finished. Best of luck with it all.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back