Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911uk CAT Driver Training Day - Millbrook 12th Aug Sunday

Hi Jo,

Sorry about this - but I'm back on now 8)

Please get in touch and take the money off me asap before something else comes up!

Thanks
R

I'd better retrieve your email from my deleted section :grin:

Shall be in touch shortly :thumb:

1. Cyruspower - 993 C2 Coupe - PAID IN FULL
2. Clarkey - 997.1 C2S - PAID IN FULL
3. Roro - PAID IN FULL

Jo

For those coming at the weekend, please note that Fordfield Road is closed until September. This is the road that links Flitwick to Millbrook, so if you exit at junction 12 of the M1 you will have to find another way around.

My suggestion would be to carry on to junction 13 and exit there, following either the A507 or the A421 to get to Millbrook, MK45 2JQ.

Look forward to seeing you at the weekend.

Jo

Thanks for the tip, see you there

Clarkey

Jo, Paul, Colin, Steve & Sam - brilliant meeting you all on such a lovely warm sunny day today. 

... Where to begin!?!

I learnt so much about my GT3 and how to get so much more out of it. 

Techniques like trail braking and threshold braking were new concepts to me having never done any track days or advanced driving before, and it was astonishing to see how these techniques are so integral to getting the most out of a 911. 

Despite my lack of experience driving at this level, today it became obvious to me why the 911 has been so successful for 50 odd years - the engine isn't in the wrong place at all, it's in the BEST place - if you know what you're doing. It's that last part that stumps those who don't take the time to learn the 911's unique characteristics. 

The facilities at Millbrook are something to behold, the dips, bends, camber changes of the Alpine circuit often gave way to some breathtaking views, it's such a shame no cameras are allowed! Most intense bit was the high speed bowl, but I'm not saying any more...  :)

The Caterham gymkhana at the end was the icing on the cake! Great fun. 

After today I definitely feel more comfortable with my GT3. I now know a lot more about where the cars limits are, and the do's and don'ts when I'm near those limits. There's so much to learn though and to practice, and today was a huge eye opener in this regard.  

I highly recommend this CATDT day to anyone wanting to learn how to handle a 911 - but I think the instructors will tailor training to your specific needs and the car you're driving - in our case today it was 911's, but you'll get as much value if you were to say take a Cayman. 

Thanks again to Jo for organising everything and keeping us well watered and fed, and to Paul, our unflappable, professional and knowledgable instructor-extraordinaire for the day.

Finally - a big thank you to Sundeep for suggesting I attend this event in the first place - money very well spent! :thumb:

... Now... Where is that Nurburgring thingy... :grin:

Yup, I would echo Roro's comments on the day.
IMHO it felt like 3 trackdays of learning in one day.
Highly recommended and Ill be doing the cornering day, for sure.

Thanks All and nice meeting you. :thumb:

Another great day with 911uk members :thumbs:

Thanks for your company, enthusiasm and interest in developing your driving knowledge. Paul & I had a very enjoyable day and you are an integral part in making that happen :D

Congratulations to the winners on the day - and wow, a first in the CAT history books too :worship:

Driver of the Day = Roro
Slidey Choc = Clarkey
End of Day Gymkhana = Cyruspower & Clarkey with the exact same time of 43.84 :thumbs:

Glad the champagne stocks had just been replenished :grin: and trust you enjoyed your winnings last night 8)

Look forward to seeing you again in the future and enjoy your lovely cars.

Jo

What a brilliant day and massively educational in terms of how to drive my 993 properly, appreciating the different techniques required to get the best out of a rear engined, rear wheel drive car.

Light bulb moments for me were trail and threshold braking, finding out how truly neutral my car is (thanks to a great geo from Porsche Byfleet) and not correcting the steering wheel when the car is busily chattering away at you. I loved the high speed bowl, the handling circuit and the alpine pass. The whole place in light a thunderbirds set or some insane petrol head's secret play ground.

Thanks so much to Jo for her hospitality and Paul for his amazing training and lack of fear at 155mph on the high speed bowl with me behind the wheel. Steve and Rohan, great to meet you both too and hope to see you at another event soon. Get your names down for Dunsfold, I'm sure it's not too late!

Overall, awesome, I'll definately be back for more.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back