Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 GT3 details announced only PDK ?

ian996

New Porsche 911 GT3 to get 450bhp

Hardcore version of the latest Porsche 911 gets a power hike to 450bhp and sheds 40kg compared with its predecessor; set to be unveiled next March

Front features a new splitter and bigger air ducts

Porsche is stepping up development of its all-new 911 GT3, the most focused version of the '991' generation of the iconic sports car yet. The new model is set to be unveiled at the 2013 Geneva motor show next March and the order books will open soon after that.

The new GT3 looks set to be powered by the latest evolution of Porsche's motorsport-derived normally aspirated 3.8-litre flat six, rather than adopting the larger 4.0-litre powerplant used in the 997-generation GT3 RS 4.0.

Porsche insiders have hinted that the power output will be in the region of 450bhp in the new GT3 "” some 15bhp more than in the outgoing model. That should translate to a 0-62mph time of less than 4.0sec and a top speed approaching 200mph.

The new GT3 is likely to have just the one transmission option: a PDK seven-speed, dual-clutch automatic. The "¨lack of a manual option in the GT3 is sure to cause controversy among 911 purists, especially after the 911 switched to electric steering. The PDK transmission is also heavier than the manual, something at odds with the GT3's lightweight approach.

Nevertheless, insiders claim that about 40kg has been shed from the GT3 compared with its immediate predecessor, which had a kerb weight of 1395kg.

Although the choice of gearbox is heavier, Porsche has shaved off weight in the new GT3 by increasing the use of lightweight materials for the bodywork. Interior trim and equipment levels will also be reduced compared with standard 991 models and the rear seats will be deleted.

Visually, the GT3 will be easy to distinguish from the base Carrera and Carrera S models. The spy pictures reveal that the GT3's bodywork has been totally overhauled compared with the standard models.

At the front, a new splitter has been added, as has a new, more sculpted front bumper. Wider air ducts also feature at the front of the car to improve cooling to the more powerful rear-mounted engine. There is an extra air intake between the bonnet and the top of the front bumper, too.

Wider sills and flared wheel arches also feature. Housed within the arches are larger, 20-inch alloy wheels, which "¨are centre locking.

The most distinctive element of the rear is a large, fixed wing. The rear bumper has been reprofiled and twin rear exhausts sit in the car's centre.

Insiders have confirmed "¨that the even more hardcore "¨GT3 RS will return in 991 guise, but not before 2015. Its power is said to be about 480bhp.

Before the 911 GT3 is revealed, Porsche will launch all-wheel-drive versions of "¨the Carrera and Carrera S. "¨The Carrera 4 and Carrera 4S are expected to be revealed in both coupé and cabriolet guises at the Paris motor "¨show in September.

...Such a long time to wait for the next installment...2015 for the RS..?
talk about stringing it out..... :roll:

Should help residuals :thumb:

...Yup, methinks you're right... :wink:

Way to go boys. It's not as if F1 drivers have ever moaned about not having a clutch pedal.

I will believe it when I see it, cannot imagine that there won't be a manual GT3. I am converted (for now) to the pleasures of PDK, but if I was in the market for a GT3 i think I would want a stick.

..."insiders"...
...looks to be...
...likely...

Yet another speculation piece without a clear source recycling the last 6 months rumour mill with nothing substantial to add...

Nothing to see, move along, magazines to sell, copy to post... :roll:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back