Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I drove one, but preferred the 997

Nytol

There have been many extended and eloquent reports of 991 test drives so I wont repeat any of that, just give my brief opinion as a newbie the the 911 world.

Robert at Tonbridge Porsche was excellent, no bulshit, no hard sell, genuinely loved the cars.

He arranged for a 997 and a 991 to be available so I could try them back to back, which was perfect, the 997 turned out to be the GTS model.

Drove that 1st and loved it, felt like a Porsche, like a better, quicker, nicer version of my 996, as it should.

The 991 for me was a bit of a let down, it did not so much feel like a Porsche, could have been any other luxury quick car, like an AMG Merc etc.

My assumption before the drive was that people were being too picky about the new steering, but after the drive I could see their point, it was like driving my diesel CLS, perfectly adequate, but not Porsche steering.

If I was going to drop 80-90k on a car, I'd take the GTS, but in all honesty I'd probably have taken the 4yr old Turbo Cab on the forecourt, that was gorgeous, and took serious will power not to make further enquiries.

November is not that long away :)

I was also very pleased that when I got back in my car it did not feel like an old has been, a little slower, not quite as sharp, but still an amazing car.

Nytol said:
The 991 for me was a bit of a let down, it did not so much feel like a Porsche, could have been any other luxury quick car, like an AMG Merc etc.

My assumption before the drive was that people were being too picky about the new steering, but after the drive I could see their point, it was like driving my diesel CLS, perfectly adequate, but not Porsche steering.

If I was going to drop 80-90k on a car, I'd take the GTS, but in all honesty I'd probably have taken the 4yr old Turbo Cab on the forecourt

:hand: :nooo:

They will get even softer under VAG. They are not selling too well vs the 997.

Repeat.....if you have a good 996/997 GT or RS then keep it as these true Porsches are great long term investments......and of course lots of fun!

I looked over some metal at OPC Hatfield on Monday.

I must say, the 981 edges the 991 in the visuals.

Much more aggressive front vs 991 wide blank expression, and much more Ferrari-esq curves especially the rear haunches and overall "Coke bottle" form.

Stunninng in black.

981.jpg

And the 997 bum on a C4S is an amazing feat next to the wider, but less shapely, comparatively straight, lines of the 991 rear.

The best analogy would be that bird Miranda Hart as the 991, bigger in all dimensions and top of the list of people to get things down from the top cupboard, but not someone who stirs your lower soul area.

miranda%20hart%20nov%202011.jpg

It's all in the eye of the beholder though! I thought that was a serious analysis of the 991 from someone who is more capable and dyed in the wool than me (I really cannot sense the difference in the steering), but then it got to the part about preferring a 997 Cab.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back