Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Collected my 997.1 GT3 today!

Cheers Maxie :)

I was just thinking how I've always tinkered with my cars to improve them, eg sports exhausts and the like, but this is the first time my potential tinkering is going to be just for the sake of it! The car doesn't need anything doing to it, it's almost perfect... Apart from the front splitter that feels like it scrapes almost everything...! 

For example I'm looking for a ducktail spoiler, but whenever I go and look at my GT3 I can't help but think what a work of art the sculptured shape of the rear spoiler is. It's an acquired taste, but I really think this rear spoiler will be a future design classic in a similar way to how the ducktail is viewed now. 

Also, the bypass pipe / or new exhaust I'm thinking of fitting... The car sounds absolutely fine as it is but I just feel like I need more noise!

The only 'mod' I've actually done to date is change the wheel colour to black, and I'm glad I did that. Whenever I looked at the car with the standard silver wheels, the wheels were all I would see. Black wheels on this black GT3 give a more subtle look and show off the lines of the car better.

As for trying an RS... Where's Senoj or Nick W when you need them! :)

A 7.2 RS is next on the list... but I really shouldn't try one out just yet because ... I'll probably convince myself I need one and re-mortgage my life away... :grin:

Well if you can get to one of the Donnigton/Spa/Zandvoort/Nordshliefe
(DN6) days over the next few months i'm sure that you'll get a demo..
:wink:

PM sent. 8)

Lovely car mate!

Went down the OPC today to nose at a RS 4.0, sat in a 997.1 RS that is for sale at £73k, I'm now trying to work out where I can rustle up £50k ish for a swap :D

I think I've got a GT3 itch!

Have you ever driven a GT3? If you haven't then I suggest you do - it might not be for you, but if you're like me then you'll wonder why you didn't trade from the Carrera sooner 8) Don't get me wrong - Carrera is a great car and I do miss the extra utility / usability that car had over my GT3, but all in all the GT3 wins :thumbs:

Just been reading through your posts, great write up and is about where I am now with my GT3 .. noises, smoke a few times a week on start up, about a month into ownership and its like learning to drive all over again, glad it's my daily and looking forward to a few track days and ring trip to get it out on some un restricted bhans :mrgreen:

Loving everything about it now, have the itch to change the exhaust (want an Akra tho) and there a stack of cash so need to hide some funds from the better half !... suspension prob KW V3's ... and 5mm spacers up front just about to be ordered, seems its running 5mm on rear already before I had it.

Wheel's need a refurb, so going with the std dark silver of the new Gen 2 GT3 to contrast the black..

Lee at spectral has added a few nice touches, nice sticky plate to show off the nose better, subtle GT3 door decals (GT2 RS esk) and a splash of red under the mirrors RS.4.0 esk ... will post up some pics later today ...

Everyone should own a GT at some point... just need to learn how to drive it properly on the edge now to really enjoy it to its max fully... :thumbs:

Excellent words there dazza 8)

Yes, the smoke!! There's been a few times I've started up an mates have looked at the car with their faces twisted up - queue lowering the window and shouting "oh, the smoke? It's normal!" to be met with replies of "really? Yeh right, you've broken it already haven't you??"!!

I think 5mm spacers are standard fit on the car - I thought that was all round not just the back?

Re the decals - at some point I'll go for red wheels and red GT3 door graphics, but I think first exhaust or bypass then ducktail then the colour change :thumb:

There's another thread on bypass / exhausts for GT3, check it out. I'd love an Ak but very pricey like you say, but maybe in the future. For now likely to go for bypass or a Europipe system which is supposed to be very good. Worth bearing in mind that if you go for a bypass or Ak then you may exceed noise limits on a lot of UK tracks - but tracks round rest of Europe seem more lenient from what I've read :thumb:

Yeah thats the only downside to the exhaust thing, what are they std ? anyone know what ball park as it will differ on machines and days but roughly ?

Def only on the rears on mine, so going for some fronts to sure it up... have two mates with 4s, and the V3 kit has transformed it in terms of stability at high speeds and generally the overall confidence in the car, so will go that way in a few months time in prep for Oct ring trip.

The smoke thing worried me the first time it happened ! Googled it and put my mind at ease !

Seen the GT3 at bramley with the duck tail looks lovely that, again like you just think the std 3 wing is also nice, although over done on non GT's so be nice to have something a bit different ..

Will have a looky at that thread cheers ... tails need something as there a bit tatty for a 30k miler, paint flaking on the surrounds and look dirty, also been looking at the cheaper option trims as really the GT3 does sound good out of the box anyway ...

Roro said:
Excellent words there dazza 8)

Yes, the smoke!! There's been a few times I've started up an mates have looked at the car with their faces twisted up - queue lowering the window and shouting "oh, the smoke? It's normal!" to be met with replies of "really? Yeh right, you've broken it already haven't you??"!!

I think 5mm spacers are standard fit on the car - I thought that was all round not just the back?

Re the decals - at some point I'll go for red wheels and red GT3 door graphics, but I think first exhaust or bypass then ducktail then the colour change :thumb:

There's another thread on bypass / exhausts for GT3, check it out. I'd love an Ak but very pricey like you say, but maybe in the future. For now likely to go for bypass or a Europipe system which is supposed to be very good. Worth bearing in mind that if you go for a bypass or Ak then you may exceed noise limits on a lot of UK tracks - but tracks round rest of Europe seem more lenient from what I've read :thumb:

On the 7.1, the 5mm spacers are only on the rear from factory.

Dazza - there's a few threads on GT3 noise levels, could be worth searching? As a guide though GT3's are notoriously loud and often run very close to most UK track noise limits, expect around 104-105db. So quite likey to fail the 'quiet' days at places like Bedford which I think are limited to about 98db.

Nsm - cheers for that! Ill join dazza and add front spacers to my list of things to do :thumb:

Just finished reading this, very good read and can't wait to get one even more now.
However trying to decide if I should buy one with extended warranty or not now :roll: as I want the sharkwerks racing exhaust but then am worried incase anything major happens :?:

Black on black is a awesome combo
:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back