Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does your 996 have any outstanding factory recalls?

Porsche News

OPC Byfleet Service Centre recently found that there are a significant number of Porsches with outstanding factory recall campaigns, as a result they have started a campaign to check if Porsche owners have any outstanding factory recalls.

What to do
1. email [email protected]
2. Provide your Registration number
3. and chassis number (which can be found in your service book)

Then OPC Byfleet Service Centre can run a check with Porsche to see whether there are any outstanding campaigns relating to that car.

This is a completely free service, and any subequent modification that is carried out will also be free of charge.

They can go back to 1985 model year cars. They have recently completed several wiring loom modifications to 993s and even an outstanding modification to a 1985 944.

It is quite important to take BOTH the chassis number from the car and not the registration document, as a number are incorrect.

http://www.porschehost.com/home.asp?opc=41

911service_951.jpg

Just out of curiosity has anyone had any joy with this :driving:

Byfleet have been great in sorting out 993 owners with recalls. They've always been quick to let people know, but then your local OPC should be no different. The 993 owners like them as they know 993's.

Emailing them can't hurt and doesn't cost anything!

Rockunrolla said:
Just out of curiosity has anyone had any joy with this :driving:

Yep - tried it last week and got a very polite reply - no outstanding recalls on my car.

I've used the below a couple of times on used bikes & cars and had a couple that had recall work done even though the notice was 4+ years old. On one bike it was over £300 of work on replacing a stator, (bit like an alternator except built into the engine and requires oil change, gaskets, and a few other non-reusables).

I'm pretty sure it's a legal requirement to satisfy the recall on request by the owner. I'm not sure if legally it is FOC but however it is done it should be recorded and obviously must be a main dealer to be recorded.

It can be done, (depending on work), as part of a routine service but seriously dangerous faults require the manufacturer to track down owners using DVLA supplied data.

Also, knowing this data and using it when haggling can help you get an edge when searching for that next dream machine.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

fireblade69 said:
I've used the below a couple of times on used bikes & cars and had a couple that had recall work done even though the notice was 4+ years old. On one bike it was over £300 of work on replacing a stator, (bit like an alternator except built into the engine and requires oil change, gaskets, and a few other non-reusables).

I'm pretty sure it's a legal requirement to satisfy the recall on request by the owner. I'm not sure if legally it is FOC but however it is done it should be recorded and obviously must be a main dealer to be recorded.

It can be done, (depending on work), as part of a routine service but seriously dangerous faults require the manufacturer to track down owners using DVLA supplied data.

Also, knowing this data and using it when haggling can help you get an edge when searching for that next dream machine.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

We have to distinguish here between mandatory "official" recalls (generally relating to a vehicle's safety or compliance with legal requirements) and service campaigns undertaken voluntarily by the manufacturer to check on and correct other issues which may have been discovered post-production.
Where recalls are concerned, the DVLA is involved, and the manufacturer or importer has a duty to try to contact the vehicle's owner directly to inform him and effect a remedy.
Where service campaigns are concerned, it might just involve a blanket authorisation to the marque's official dealers to carry out certain work the next time the vehicle is seen and to charge costs to the manufacturer.
So whilst the DVLA could only provide information relating to official recalls potentially affecting a certain vehicle, the manufacturer's records should allow a check on the actual completion of both recall work and service campaign work.

+1

Phone up any OPC and give them your chassis number (if you want a fully inclusive check of safety+revision upgrades against your car).

Technically, most of these aren't recalls (because you aren't recalled!), they are just referred to as revisions or techical updates - like a software update, or a better performing hinge on your armrest!

A proper safety recall will do just that, seeking to contact the owner through the DVLA every time the vehicle changes hands until the manufacturer has confirmed the fix to that car.

DVLA and VOSA record and track full recalls, additionally, motoring organisations (such as AA or RAC) allow you to check you car via their websites.

Done & done. Email sent to nearest OPC.

Addition:

OPC came back with no recalls but 2 'Campaigns' on my model & both done. Nice one :)

Recall Info

I have just emailed them re my 996 to see if any recalls were missed? It only has 66K and I am the second owner and it has been to a main dealer all it's life so.... I will let everyone know, regards Dave

I emailed last week and received a reply the next day, all recalls done on my 997.
Many thanks for posting this :thumb: :thumb:

ragpicker said:
Shame they didnt see fit to 'recall' those engines which are prone to bore scoring or IMS failure eh?

Who gives a shayate about a better feeling indicator stalk?

+ ad infinitum

ragpicker said:
Shame they didnt see fit to 'recall' those engines which are prone to bore scoring or IMS failure eh?

Who gives a shayate about a better feeling indicator stalk?

If you've ever driven a 2012 Fiat 500 you would appreciate the feel of a firm indicator stalk. Indicating my directional intentions to other drivers while in my new (to me) 996 is such a pleasure my straight route home from the shops now looks as if I'm trying to shake off a tail.

Back on topic, I called Porsche Byfleet, gave them my VIN and they confirmed nothing outstanding.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back